Progressive Overload and CTL

gudujarlson

Aug 30, 2012
If I train such that I have a constant CTL but I adjust my training zones to match increases in my FTP am I practicing the concept of progressive overload? Or does progressive overload mean that I have to increase my CTL? If so, what do I do when my CTL reaches a point where I cannot continue to increase it without problems? Should I expect to see any performance gains while keeping my CTL constant?

It's an interesting hypothetical methematical exercise, but it needs a lot more detail ot really discuss it.

First, we need to define "constant." If you are not doing the exact same TSS-point workouts every day, your CTL will vary. Do you mean the same every day? Or within a certain margin every week? Or within a certain margin every month? The same exact CTL every day is almost impossible in reality

Next we need to talk about what CTL we are talking about, since it matters. Is it 10, where your fitness would never improve anyway? Or 100, where your fitness is probably improving (at least, for now)? Or 200, where you will eventually fall apart?

How often are you increasing your training zones? Every day? Every two weeks? Every six months?

Next, where are your TSS points coming from? Are you just doing long steady endurance rides? 2x20s? VO2 intervals? Intense group rides? Are you doing recovery rides with 5-second max sprints to try to trick the TSS point system? What makes you think that any level of CTL will have a direct effect on your FTP?

In order to keep your CTL constant, that means your ATL and TSB would have be constant as well. At that point, why would your FTP be increasing at all? You are not imposing any new demands on it. With a "constant" CTL over a longer period, say 8 to 12 months, it's more likely that your FTP would be decreasing not increasing,

Originally Posted by gudujarlson .

If I train such that I have a constant CTL but I adjust my training zones to match increases in my FTP am I practicing the concept of progressive overload? Or does progressive overload mean that I have to increase my CTL? If so, what do I do when my CTL reaches a point where I cannot continue to increase it without problems? Should I expect to see any performance gains while keeping my CTL constant?
Good questions from qcwtom above, but in IME athletes are very likely to plateau and experience training stagnation if their CTL flat lines for very long. Yes there will always be some variation between harder days and rest days but if your CTL remains in a narrow and relatively constant range for more than a few weeks and you haven't dramatically changed the makeup of your training such as switched to hard short efforts or are engaged in frequent racing (both can make it difficult to stay on a CTL build cycle) and the basic makeup of your training has stayed the same your process will likely stagnate.

Part of planning your training is estimating how much weekly load or how many weekly hours you can sustain and then working build cycles such that you don't hit those limits too far ahead of important events. If for instance your life limits you to say 12 hours per week and experience tells you that you can reach a CTL of say 100 on that training then don't jump right up to that level and stay there for six or seven months before any important events. There are a lot of ways to manage a progressive workload, it could be easier work at the start of a build, it could be introducing some harder blocks of high end short interval work that tends to produce less session TSS and allows your CTL to drop while getting some high end work mid winter or it could be finding ways to allocate more training time as spring approaches but IME it pays to ramp CTL towards your more important events and not hold sustained plateaus.

-Dave

I was asking the question in general terms, but I will answer your questions about my specific situation.

Quote:
First, we need to define "constant." If you are not doing the exact same TSS-point workouts every day, your CTL will vary. Do you mean the same every day? Or within a certain margin every week? Or within a certain margin every month? The same exact CTL every day is almost impossible in reality

From March to June my CTL rose from 40ish to 100ish. I call that a period of increasing CTL. From June to September my CTL ungulated between 90 and 110. I'm calling that a period of "constant" CTL. No it's not really constant, but it's average value over several months is near constant.

How often are you increasing your training zones? Every day? Every two weeks? Every six months?
I did fitness tests in March, May, June, July, and October. I adjusted my FTP after the May and June tests. The July and October tests showed no improvements, so I did not adjust my FTP.

Next, where are your TSS points coming from? Are you just doing long steady endurance rides? 2x20s? VO2 intervals? Intense group rides? Are you doing recovery rides with 5-second max sprints to try to trick the TSS point system? What makes you think that any level of CTL will have a direct effect on your FTP?
In March I started with L2 stuff. In April I switched to a plan modeled after the 1st case study in Training and Racing with a Power Meter. This consisted of a mixture of intensities and volumes. For example, a week might go like this: M rest T 6x2(3) W 2x15(10) Th L3 + NP bursts F rest Sa Race Su 3 hours L2. However, all of my weekdays were split into 2 workouts, so if a day called for 6x2(3) I did 3x2(3) in the morning and 3x2(3) in the evening. I also did a 1 hour gym workout once a week, but it was not focused on helping my cycling. I worked for 3 weeks and then rested for 1 week. The testing was done at the end of rest weeks. My ATL and TSB had a very regular 3 weeks up 1 week down pattern.

In July, August, and September, I participated in many events/races, did a couple multi-day bike tours, had some multi-day recoveries, and my training became less routine. My ATL and TSB had a fairly random pattern. CTL in September gradually declined to 80ish. September is a busy month in Minnesota. Everyone rushes to party outside before winter hits.

In October I switched to 6 1x20 at 90% FTP workouts during the work week, a 3-5 hour group ride or solo L3 ride on Sat and a 2-5 hour L2 ride on Sun. Monday is gym day and Friday is rest day. My CTL is currently 80ish and rising.

In order to keep your CTL constant, that means your ATL and TSB would have be constant as well. At that point, why would your FTP be increasing at all? You are not imposing any new demands on it. With a "constant" CTL over a longer period, say 8 to 12 months, it's more likely that your FTP would be decreasing not increasing,
You have more or less answered my first question. What about my second question? What does one do if raising CTL higher is not an option?

If it is true that fitness only increases when CTL is increased, then it should be possible for a sedentary person to reach their genetic potential in 3-6 months, because CTL can easily be increased from 0 to 150ish in that time period, no? However, I've never heard anyone claim that to be true. How do I reconcile this apparent paradox?

...If it is true that fitness only increases when CTL is increased, then it should be possible for a sedentary person to reach their genetic potential in 3-6 months, because CTL can easily be increased from 0 to 150ish in that time period, no? However, I've never heard anyone claim that to be true. How do I reconcile this apparent paradox?
A couple of things. CTL as a way to track overall workload is very useful and it is a decent proxy for overall fitness or more accurately for the depth of your training base but don't take it too literally as an absolute measure of fitness. There are plenty of way to rack up big CTL that doesn't maximize cycling or especially race specific fitness but as CTL does represent your long term average daily training workload it would be hard to maximize fitness with a very low CTL. IOW, if you don't train you won't be likely to maximize fitness and your low CTL will reflect that lack of training but for someone with a lot of time on their hands it's not that difficult to rack up substantial daily TSS and over time substantial CTL based on a lot of low intensity riding that may or may not translate to the demands of your target events.

Beyond that, CTL for the current season is a decent metric but it only tracks long term average daily workload for this season and long term fitness is both about what you've done this season and what you've done consistently for many seasons. Again CTL isn't an exact measure of a cyclist's fitness but does reflect the long term daily average workload and if those regular workouts were appropriate for the demands of the rider's events and met their training targets (e.g. FTP development, VO2 Max improvement, race specific needs, etc.) then achieving a relatively high CTL does demonstrate that sustained a steady diet of this kind of work which in general is a prerequisite to meeting intra-season fitness goals but that does not imply that achieving your CTL targets this season, even if based on a good workout mix, means that the athlete has achieved their long term inter-season fitness limits. IOW, this stuff takes time and we only get part of the way there in any given season so maximizing our training potential in one year or one season isn't sufficient to achieve our long term potential and CTL does not tell us whether we've reached our long term genetic potential.

Bottom line, TSS and from it CTL are decent overall workload metrics similar to tracking: exercise time, miles ridden or kj or calories burned during exercise so if those workouts were appropriate to the athlete's needs then CTL can reflect the depth of the overall training base which can be a proxy for fitness but it is not literally fitness nor is it absolute fitness relative to the athlete's genetic potential, just fitness relative to what might be achieved this particular season as limited by training and recovery time but again only if the workouts themselves are addressing the athlete's needs.

-Dave

Quoting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_overload:

Progressive overload requires a gradual increase in volume, intensity, frequency or time in order to achieve the targeted goal of the user. In this context, volume and intensity are defined as follows:

Volume is the total number of repetitions multiplied by the resistance used as performed in specific periods of time.

Intensity is the percent value of maximal functional capacity, or expressed as percent repetition maximum.
If I understand this correctly, adjusting my training zones up based on FTP increases is in-effect an increase in "resistance" and is thus an increase in "volume". Therefore, I am by definition practicing progressive overload even though CTL may or may not be increasing. Resistance is absolute whereas CTL is relative to current fitness. The problem however is that I have not seen an increase in FTP during a period of constant CTL, therefore I have not increased my resistance.

Note that I have not made any CTL goals. I simply started putting all my rides into WKO+, including my past rides, and observed the numbers come out of it. I have not used the Performance Manager Chart to manage any of my training (so far).

If so, what do I do when my CTL reaches a point where I cannot continue to increase it without problems? Should I expect to see any performance gains while keeping my CTL constant?

sorry, I missed the latter questions:
Why can't you increase it anymore? Is it a matter of time? Or that you cannot increase intensity?

If your CTL is truly level, then no. But yours was not really level. It was bouncing between 90 and 110, which is quite a gap.

Therefore, I am by definition practicing progressive overload even though CTL may or may not be increasing. Resistance is absolute whereas CTL is relative to current fitness. The problem however is that I have not seen an increase in FTP during a period of constant CTL, therefore I have not increased my resistance.
Now that we're away from the mathematical and into the real... yeah, pretty much. You are increasing the intensity of the workout, which is causing an overload. If you increase too much, you might run into problems, but that tends to be self correcting. If you're trying to do 2x20's at 400 watts, you can only "try" for so long before your body slows you down to what it can actually handle :)

...and i just realized that somehow I have two different accounts on two different machines. oops.

Originally Posted by tomw1974 .

Why can't you increase it anymore? Is it a matter of time? Or that you cannot increase intensity?
In my personal case, I could possibly increase my CTL, but I would eventually hit a cap. I don't know where that cap is exactly, but for others it seems to be in the 100-150 TSS/day range which is where I have been playing. But anyway, my original question was a more general question about the relationship of CTL and the principal of progressive overload.

Quoting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_overload:

If I understand this correctly, adjusting my training zones up based on FTP increases is in-effect an increase in "resistance" and is thus an increase in "volume". Therefore, I am by definition practicing progressive overload even though CTL may or may not be increasing. Resistance is absolute whereas CTL is relative to current fitness. The problem however is that I have not seen an increase in FTP during a period of constant CTL, therefore I have not increased my resistance.
Regardless of Wikipedia's definitions, CTL plateau's are generally not a good thing. But a 20+ point swing in CTL isn't exactly a plateau so it seems like you have some ups and downs going on in there.

But it's really simpler than that. If your performance gains plateau, and not for just a couple of weeks which is pretty normal, and you're doing the same thing and roughly the same amount of it then something should probably be changed. It might even be more rest or more focus on the harder days or sometimes more Tempo/SST work if you've been hitting the pure L4 work pretty hard or a number of other things. But if your progress has stagnated for a while then back out, look at the big picture and mix things up a bit.

That's really the beauty of power in terms of objective feedback. It tells you when your plan is working, it can also tell you when your current plan isn't working and when you might want to change things up a bit. For better or worse the power numbers tell you what's happening and if you don't like what's happening and you've given it long enough then it might be time to alter your approach.

-Dave

Originally Posted by tomw1974 .

You are increasing the intensity of the workout, which is causing an overload.
I think you might be missing my key point. In the definitions from the wikipedia page, intensity and resistance are different. Resistance is an absolute metric that is the same for everyone, e.g. 10 minutes at 200 watts is the same resistance for everyone. Intensity on the other hand is relative to fitness, e.g. 10 minutes at 200 watts is different for a beginner than for an elite athlete. So if I increase the power target of my workout by 10% at the same time I increase my FTP by 10%, then my intensity stays the same but my resistance increases.

I'm not sure how actually pertinent this is to this thread, but I discovered that my memory of my CTL over the season was a little foggy so I thought I should set the record straight. My CTL actually undulated between about 90 and 106 TSS/day from mid-May to September. Since a picture says more than I could ever describe in words, here is my PMC for this season.

FWIW, that is what I'd consider very good PMC dynamics especially if those rest periods where CTL drooped coincide with either race and recover periods or some easier work and perhaps an FTP adjustment followed by rebuilding. That's not the kind of stagnant CTL plateau that I was talking about above.

Nice work and if this is indeed your first season of training as implied by the starting point of your PMC then it's VERY unlikely that you're anywhere near your genetic potential. IOW, follow a similar pattern this coming year picking up from where you left off and even if your CTL high points don't get any higher you'll almost certainly continue to see progress. You don't need or necessarily even want to be on one steady CTL ramp all season, just trending up during harder build periods, drooping down to either spend some of that accumulated training base or while taking a breather before getting back to work.

-Dave

Originally Posted by daveryanwyoming .

FWIW, that is what I'd consider very good PMC dynamics especially if those rest periods where CTL drooped coincide with either race and recover periods or some easier work and perhaps an FTP adjustment followed by rebuilding. That's not the kind of stagnant CTL plateau that I was talking about above.
Interesting, 'cos for me that would be a bad PMC resulting in results below what I could be. Too much rest for me, I cannot afford negative TSB's that large, I get no positive benefit from it (other than small ones at very, very short durations from the rest but that's irrelevant for any event). Rather than simply CTL, total area below the curve for the previous few months is much more correlated with performance, and even more so with duations longer than an hour.

Of course one of the problems if you train by power (as opposed to purely using it to track performance) is that doing a workout at a target wattage will actually give you CTL easier if your FTP is slightly too low. So if your FTP is still rising as you might expect, then a static CTL with an improving FTP actually means a real world decline. So it may well depend on how you use your power meter.

I think you might be missing my key point. In the definitions from the wikipedia page, intensity and resistance are different. Resistance is an absolute metric that is the same for everyone, e.g. 10 minutes at 200 watts is the same resistance for everyone. Intensity on the other hand is relative to fitness, e.g. 10 minutes at 200 watts is different for a beginner than for an elite athlete. So if I increase the power target of my workout by 10% at the same time I increase my FTP by 10%, then my intensity stays the same but my resistance increases.
I think you're trying to get more out of CTL than it really is. It's just a Chronic Training Load. It tells you how much stress your body is under by comparing the intensity of your rides to your FTP.

If your FTP increases and you don't increase the resistance in your training, your FTP will drop back down. The relative and absolute are closely wrapped around each other.

Dave and JibberJim, most of the deep holes followed by rest were intentionally done for training purposes by following a 3 weeks on / 1 week off template. Two of the later holes were caused by 4-day bike-camping trips (pre-event tapering and post-event recovery). If I understand the principals of training properly, specifically the principal of progressive overload, I need to dig holes in order to get my body to adapt. So I dig a hole and then rest. Rinse and repeat. If I trained at a constant CTL that allowed me to do the same thing every day without periodic rest, would my body adapt? I think the rest weeks are also designed to prevent the overtraining syndrom.

Tomw1974, I don't currently use CTL for anything. It's simply tracked in WKO+ and is a curiosity to me; thus the question about how it relates to the principal of progressive overload. I might use the PMC in the future if I am trying to peak for a certain race, but this was the first year I ever raced and I had no particular race in mind. I've been looking for a more linear increase in fitness until I reach point where I can be competitive in a CAT 4/5 race.

Just realised I miswrote totally - it's the amount of REST that is too big, so too much POSITVE TSB, not negative, I can comfortably deal with negative TSB as large as that indeed would need it, it's just I don't rest after it I carry on at the same new load (where possible obviously) so TSB just trends slowly back to zero and doesn't go positive.

So for me, the rest in that PMC is too high, not the work.

Originally Posted by JibberJim .

Interesting, 'cos for me that would be a bad PMC resulting in results below what I could be. Too much rest for me,...
Fair enough and I see where you're coming from. The assumption I'm making based on the rest of this thread is that he'd reached his realistic CTL limits in terms of available training and recovery time when he hit those CTL peaks which were all roughly at the same level. From that perspective I'd rather see some backing off to allow headroom for more work than just plugging away at the same overall workload level for extended periods.

Yeah, a lot of assumptions in there and ideally I'd rather buy some CTL headroom by spending away base via racing and high end work rather than pre planned rest weeks which does seem like giving away training time. But if he'd really hit his limits or was at risk of burnout from too much of the same routine then I'd prefer the kind of dynamics he had to flatlining or hanging up the bike in disgust.

-Dave