Project Creatine

Originally posted by SniperX
Guest : i'm a polar HRM user as well .. just wondering .. how do u check the percentage of fat burnt using the Owncals function ? I only see calories burnt.

What polar HRM do you use?

Guest : i'm a polar HRM user as well .. just wondering .. how do u check the percentage of fat burnt using the Owncals function ? I only see calories burnt.

using the s710i

I didnt think you could check that with the 710? If you can', i'm also keen to find out how?

cheers!

Originally posted by steve
I didnt think you could check that with the 710? If you can', i'm also keen to find out how?

cheers!

I assume on the S710 (and others) that the only thing it will tell you, is how much energy has been expended (as an approximation).

To ascertain how much fat is burnt you'll need to go to a laboratory and have, e.g., expired respiratory gases analysed so that your respiratory exchange ratio is calculated.

Ric

Well, SniperX, I guess you breathed a little life into this thread after all! I'm glad that others picked up on it.

Actually, as I was thinking just this morning, before I got online, that your best bet was to address a post right to ricstern, our resident expert on such things. He beat me to the punch.

But now I'm also wondering about a HRM question. Do you guys wear them every day? I will wear one for a hard day but on easy days prefer to just limit my exertion to a pace that allows for conversation.

Originally posted by easyrider
Well, SniperX, I guess you breathed a little life into this thread after all! I'm glad that others picked up on it.

Actually, as I was thinking just this morning, before I got online, that your best bet was to address a post right to ricstern, our resident expert on such things. He beat me to the punch.

But now I'm also wondering about a HRM question. Do you guys wear them every day? I will wear one for a hard day but on easy days prefer to just limit my exertion to a pace that allows for conversation.

Thanks, you're making me blush!

I don't always bother with wearing a HR strap -- simply because, i use a power meter to train with instead.

Ric

i cant seem to find any function for that ended up finding the percentage of cureent HR instead sheez.. polar are the guys who stated that the owncals function can give one the reading of the percent of fat burnt for the exercise

polar are the guys who stated that the owncals function can give one the reading of the percent of fat burnt for the exercise

Do they say that on their website? It would be interesting to see how they work it out!
You could try emailing their support addy, they normally get back to you within a few hours.

cheers!

I emailed them already .... takes only a few hours ??? more like a couple of days for me hehe strange thing is some of the features n functions of the HRms are not stated in the manual ... one great example is the percentage of HR function I didnt know how to view that till i did a trial n error of button pressing then i finally managed to chnge the current HR to view it as percent HR So I somehow suspect that this own cals fat burning percent may b another ignored feature in the manual.

I seem to recall the % fat burn function is only available on low end monitors. I suspect that they simply sum the calories whilst your heart rate is in the "weight managment" zone.

Originally posted by Leon
I seem to recall the % fat burn function is only available on low end monitors. I suspect that they simply sum the calories whilst your heart rate is in the "weight managment" zone.

Ahh yeah, the low end ones are big on features like that, which dont really have much use

The following is on the polar website:
OwnIndexS™
This new feature is a measure of your aerobic fitness as expressed in VO2max, your maximum oxygen uptake.

OwnCalS™
The Polar S720i also measures the number of calories you burn while working out. Based on your weight, OwnIndexS (VO2max) and heart rate, OwnCalS tracks your caloric expenditure per workout, allowing you to accurately assess your nutritional needs.

Fitness Tests
Test and record your own fitness levels using the UKK Walking Test or your own testing to protocol.

cheers!

Can the Lab Rate report on his overall opinion of Creatine?
When and how much was the best to use?

I took some before track training last week, and wasn't impresed.

Brian

What are the conclusive results of Project Creatine? Is the Lab Rat still alive?! :)

Are we supposed to have 5 grams of creatine? I bought a 500g btch of creatine from www.zipvit.co.uk - the cheapest in vitamins and suplements, and it says in the first five days of use you take so many heaped spoonfuls per day,then after that one per day before training, but when i weigh a heaped spoonful, it is only about 2g, so what is the correct dose?? I did read tht the dosage of creatine from another firm was 5g per day, which is the most accurate???

Jonathan

hmmmz TT meaning it ll work for time trials? y slower? the water weight?

it *won't* work for TTs (assuming you mean ones more than say 60-secs in duration). creatine helps very short repeated efforts, so has no effect on longer durations. As you gain weight with it and it doesn't increase sustainable power you'll generally slow down (e.g., uphill).

Ric

Originally posted by ricstern
assuming that you don't compete in track sprint or similar races, i.e., you compete in RR, TT, MTB, etc. then creatine won't do anything for your performance except possibly make you slower.

Ric

Well, I go for longer distance cycling (well by my stadards, I do 20-30 miles on long rides. This kind of sustained excercise on my legs is the kind of sustained exercise a body builder would be doing, exxcept with heaver stresses, so surely it must be coming in useful. What makes you think it would not? Why do you think it might make me slower?

Jonathan