Project Fixie Help

romkslrqusz

Jul 19, 2009
So my friend bought a frame on craigslist to have a project fixed gear, and there's one issue with the back

The frame was build for 27" wheels; but the wheels we have are 700c
When we put the wheels on, the back tire rubbed against the bar where the rear brake hole is
My idea was to grind away some of that bar [the rear brake hole is unnecessary, he only needs a front brake] to make room for the tire.

Is this a good way to make room for the wheel or is there some other, better way to do this that I haven't thought of?

romkslrqusz said:
So my friend bought a frame on craigslist to have a project fixed gear, and there's one issue with the back

The frame was build for 27" wheels; but the wheels we have are 700c
When we put the wheels on, the back tire rubbed against the bar where the rear brake hole is
My idea was to grind away some of that bar [the rear brake hole is unnecessary, he only needs a front brake] to make room for the tire.

Is this a good way to make room for the wheel or is there some other, better way to do this that I haven't thought of?
What you have written is internally contradictory ...

Because 700c wheels are smaller than 27" wheels, you must be mistaken as to the original wheel size OR you must be planning on using a 700x42-or-larger tire. A 27x1.125 tire is equivalent to a 700x32 tire, or vice-versa.

NB/FYI. The brake bridge is structural & removing it without having another one brazed on at a different location is a very bad idea.

alfeng said:
What you have written is internally contradictory ...

Because 700c wheels are smaller than 27" wheels, you must be mistaken as to the original wheel size OR you must be planning on using a 700x42-or-larger tire. A 27x1.125 tire is equivalent to a 700x32 tire, or vice-versa.

NB/FYI. The brake bridge is structural & removing it without having another one brazed on at a different location is a very bad idea.

Gah, I just realized I made that mistake xD

Well, instead of completely removing the brake bridge, I was thinking of grinding away some of it to provide more clearance for the tire
because I don't really have the means to remove something like that and weld it back on

also, the tires are 700x23

romkslrqusz said:
Gah, I just realized I made that mistake xD

Well, instead of completely removing the brake bridge, I was thinking of grinding away some of it to provide more clearance for the tire
because I don't really have the means to remove something like that and weld it back on

also, the tires are 700x23
Just what frame are you trying to use?

Is it a frame from an old, 3-speed, 26" bike?

Regardless, you really should NOT remove the brake bridge -- any part of it -- unless you are planning to reenforce the seat stays with another "bridge."

Post a pic of the frame ... and/or, a pic with the rear wheel in the frame.

Nevermind, we just figured out that the rim was 27" and the guy who sold it to us said it was 700c, so we just need to buy a new wheel

romkslrqusz said:
Nevermind, we just figured out that the rim was 27" and the guy who sold it to us said it was 700c, so we just need to buy a new wheel
THANK GOODNESS you figured out why there was a conflict between the wheel & the frame before you did anything to your frame -- all's well that ends well!

I hope there is less drama with the rest of the project ...