Prolink Turns Black??

Steve Sr.

Guest
Hello,

I recently switched to Prolink and have noticed that whatever this
stuff is it goes on clear but comes off black! Does anybody know what
this black residue is? I find it hard to believe that it is road gunk.

Could this black residue be part of the chain or maybe a reaction by
product of Prolink and the metal in the chain? It appears that Prolink
got started on coal mining equipment where everything is already
black and wouldn't notice a little more.

Does anyboy know what is really in this stuff? It smells like mineral
spirits i.e. paint thinner. Is there more to it than that?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve Sr. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently switched to Prolink and have noticed that whatever this
> stuff is it goes on clear but comes off black! Does anybody know what
> this black residue is? I find it hard to believe that it is road gunk.
>
> Could this black residue be part of the chain or maybe a reaction by
> product of Prolink and the metal in the chain? It appears that Prolink
> got started on coal mining equipment where everything is already
> black and wouldn't notice a little more.
>
> Does anyboy know what is really in this stuff? It smells like mineral
> spirits i.e. paint thinner. Is there more to it than that?

Most likely, it's low odor mineral spirits and a lubricant similar to
something like "Mobil 1".Not a bad idea, just viciously over-priced
(What a surprise! Who do you think pays for that advertising campaign?)

Be bold! Experiment! Try two parts mineral spirits to one part Mobil 1.
Try one part mineral spirits to one part chain saw oil. Or variations
thereof. By the quart, the stuff is cheap. Have fun. See what works for
you.

Steve Sr. <[email protected]> wrote in
news:p[email protected]:
> I recently switched to Prolink and have noticed that whatever this
> stuff is it goes on clear but comes off black! Does anybody know what
> this black residue is? I find it hard to believe that it is road gunk.

You only need oil on the inside of your chain. Wipe off the outside of the
chain and you'll keep your leg clean.

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 21:14:41 -0400, Steve Sr. <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I recently switched to Prolink and have noticed that whatever this
>stuff is it goes on clear but comes off black! Does anybody know what
>this black residue is?

Dirt.

>I find it hard to believe that it is road gunk.

Some of it may be wear particles from the chain, but most of it is
dirt.

>Could this black residue be part of the chain or maybe a reaction by
>product of Prolink and the metal in the chain?

In order: Maybe but not a significant portion, and no.

>It appears that Prolink
>got started on coal mining equipment where everything is already
>black and wouldn't notice a little more.

Any fluid lubricant used in an unsealed application will get
contaminated by dirt. In most cases, the dirt is black.

>Does anyboy know what is really in this stuff?

Yes, but for obvious reasons, they aren't going to tell you.

>It smells like mineral
>spirits i.e. paint thinner. Is there more to it than that?

You betcha. Mineral spirits wouldn't lubricate the chain; the solvent
just allows deeper penetration of the diluted lubricant into the
works.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Steve Sr. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently switched to Prolink and have noticed that whatever this
> stuff is it goes on clear but comes off black! Does anybody know what
> this black residue is? I find it hard to believe that it is road gunk.

It's all the stuff that got flushed out of your rollers in your chain.

> Could this black residue be part of the chain or maybe a reaction by
> product of Prolink and the metal in the chain? It appears that Prolink
> got started on coal mining equipment where everything is already
> black and wouldn't notice a little more.

There's lots of dirt in the air and stuff kicked up by the rear tire.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

wrote:

>I recently switched to Prolink and have noticed that whatever this
>stuff is it goes on clear but comes off black! Does anybody know what
>this black residue is? I find it hard to believe that it is road gunk.

It is road gunk.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

Anything which absorbs light will look black when it is stirred into a
transparent medium. Even a bottle of red ink looks black when viewed as a
mass.

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 21:14:41 -0400, Steve Sr. <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> I recently switched to Prolink and have noticed that whatever this
>> stuff is it goes on clear but comes off black! Does anybody know what
>> this black residue is? I find it hard to believe that it is road
>> gunk.

> It is road gunk.

Doesn't that reply belong in RBT?

(Slow evening.)

Sorni wrote:
> John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
>> On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 21:14:41 -0400, Steve Sr. <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I recently switched to Prolink and have noticed that whatever this
>>> stuff is it goes on clear but comes off black! Does anybody know
>>> what this black residue is? I find it hard to believe that it is
>>> road gunk.

>> It is road gunk.

> Doesn't that reply belong in RBT?
>
> (Slow evening.)

Note to self: check the Newsgroup field before smart-assing.

Bill "d'oh" S.

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 02:22:36 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Anything which absorbs light will look black when it is stirred into a
>transparent medium. Even a bottle of red ink looks black when viewed as a
>mass.

This fact has been known (and misused) for many years in politics.
--

wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I recently switched to Prolink and have noticed that whatever this
>stuff is it goes on clear but comes off black! Does anybody know what
>this black residue is? I find it hard to believe that it is road gunk.
>
>Could this black residue be part of the chain or maybe a reaction by
>product of Prolink and the metal in the chain? It appears that Prolink
>got started on coal mining equipment where everything is already
>black and wouldn't notice a little more.
>
>Does anyboy know what is really in this stuff? It smells like mineral
>spirits i.e. paint thinner. Is there more to it than that?
>

>Thanks,
>
>Steve

Hi, I noticed the same reaction when I first applied Prolink. What
is/was happening is that the chain isn't really clean. It is all the
dirt flushing out.

Try applying it to a really clean chain and drivetrain, it will stay
clean for a reasonable amount of time, until road dirt gets to it. At
that point any lube will begin to look dirty.

And just cleaning the chain won't do it. Be sure to clean the pulleys
on the derailleur, cassette, and the chainrings.

I have been using Prolink for a couple of years now it works well. I
did my spring cleaning this year, removing the chain, soaking it in a
degreaser, rinsing in fresh water, and then drying with a hair dryer.
I cleaned the rest of the drivetrain, as mentioned above, applied
Prolink, and it is clean.

Just ignore the guy who is telling you that Prolink is so overpriced,
due to the advertizing. The product goes a long way, I get more than a
year out of a $5-7 bottle. I think we are paying for convenience. As,
so far, I haven't seen any Prolink TV commercials, have you? I think
Prolink is good stuff.

Life is Good!
Jeff

Steve Sr. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently switched to Prolink and have noticed that whatever this
> stuff is it goes on clear but comes off black! Does anybody know what
> this black residue is? I find it hard to believe that it is road gunk.
>
> Could this black residue be part of the chain or maybe a reaction by
> product of Prolink and the metal in the chain? It appears that Prolink
> got started on coal mining equipment where everything is already
> black and wouldn't notice a little more.
>
> Does anyboy know what is really in this stuff? It smells like mineral
> spirits i.e. paint thinner. Is there more to it than that?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Steve

It is designed to clean and then lube. MUST be used the night before,
not just before a ride. Apply, wipe off(black **** is dirt), apply and
wipe off, maybe a third time(Best is onna clean chain, BTW), then let
sit overnight and then it is lubed after the liquid part evaporates.

Jeff Starr wrote:

<snipped>

> Just ignore the guy who is telling you that Prolink is so overpriced,

Right, just ignore all that and listen to yourself. Go to the local big
box and check the price on a quart of chainsaw oil and a quart of
low-odor/odorless mineral spirits (aka, paint thinner). Once you mix
the stuff, you have a ten-year supply. You can pour some into the cute
'lil Prolink bottle and the convenience factor won't change one bit.
You can give some away to your riding buddies, too. So, do the math and
do what makes sense to you.

Steve Sr. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently switched to Prolink and have noticed that whatever this
> stuff is it goes on clear but comes off black! Does anybody know what
> this black residue is? I find it hard to believe that it is road gunk.
>
> Could this black residue be part of the chain or maybe a reaction by
> product of Prolink and the metal in the chain? It appears that Prolink
> got started on coal mining equipment where everything is already
> black and wouldn't notice a little more.
>
> Does anyboy know what is really in this stuff? It smells like mineral
> spirits i.e. paint thinner. Is there more to it than that?

Our lord and savior Jobst once said this is road gunk mixed with small
particles of metal from pins wearing on the chain.

-nate

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 01:51:42 +0000 (UTC), Ken <[email protected]> wrote:

>Steve Sr. <[email protected]> wrote in
>news:p[email protected]:
>> I recently switched to Prolink and have noticed that whatever this
>> stuff is it goes on clear but comes off black! Does anybody know what
>> this black residue is? I find it hard to believe that it is road gunk.

>You only need oil on the inside of your chain. Wipe off the outside of the
>chain and you'll keep your leg clean.

I do follow the directions and go over the chain with a rag after
applying the Prolink but it still leaves a lot on the chain
inaccessable to the rag.

Steve

>> Just ignore the guy who is telling you that Prolink is so overpriced,
>

> Right, just ignore all that and listen to yourself. Go to the local big
> box and check the price on a quart of chainsaw oil and a quart of
> low-odor/odorless mineral spirits (aka, paint thinner). Once you mix
> the stuff, you have a ten-year supply. You can pour some into the cute
> 'lil Prolink bottle and the convenience factor won't change one bit.
> You can give some away to your riding buddies, too. So, do the math and
> do what makes sense to you.

Well, he did mention that a bottle costs $5-7, and lasts him over a year.
"Convenience" is different things to different people. Some would say it's
not worth the hassle to deal with a quart of chainsaw oil and a quart of
paint thinner, a, what, 50-year-plus supply? Perhaps he could go into the
business of selling or even giving away the stuff, but that's probably more
trouble than it's worth. And that's what it really comes down to. Whether
something is worth the bother or not. For me, I avoid big-box stores like
the plague, and I'll admit that even changing the oil in my car is something
I rarely do. My motorcycle, yes, the car, no. Why? I'm not sure, different
priorities I guess, different ways that I look at the two vehicles.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

news:[email protected]...

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> >> Just ignore the guy who is telling you that Prolink is so overpriced,

> > Right, just ignore all that and listen to yourself. Go to the local big
> > box and check the price on a quart of chainsaw oil and a quart of
> > low-odor/odorless mineral spirits (aka, paint thinner). Once you mix
> > the stuff, you have a ten-year supply. You can pour some into the cute
> > 'lil Prolink bottle and the convenience factor won't change one bit.
> > You can give some away to your riding buddies, too. So, do the math and
> > do what makes sense to you.

> Well, he did mention that a bottle costs $5-7, and lasts him over a year.
> "Convenience" is different things to different people. Some would say it's
> not worth the hassle to deal with a quart of chainsaw oil and a quart of
> paint thinner, a, what, 50-year-plus supply?

At 4oz a year, we're talking a 16 year supply.

> Perhaps he could go into the
> business of selling or even giving away the stuff, but that's probably more
> trouble than it's worth. And that's what it really comes down to. Whether
> something is worth the bother or not.

Agreed, that's what I meant by "do the math and do what makes sense to
you". To me, mixing the stuff is trivial. OTOH, paying $5-7 for 4oz of
a low cost, commodity product rubs me wrong. YMMV.

>For me, I avoid big-box stores like
> the plague, and I'll admit that even changing the oil in my car is something
> I rarely do. My motorcycle, yes, the car, no. Why? I'm not sure, different
> priorities I guess, different ways that I look at the two vehicles.

Well, modern cars are less involving, eh? Much more reliable, but
boring. Makes DIY oil changes seem kinda pointless. (Do you remember
spending hours changing the oil, setting the points, cleaning and
gapping the 'plugs, adjusting the carbs, etc? It was all part of an
involving ritual, one that affects the way you look at a vehicle.)

I know almost nothing about modern motorcycles. Are they still fun from
an owner/mechanic POV? Or do you own a vintage motorcycle?

> I know almost nothing about modern motorcycles. Are they still fun from
> an owner/mechanic POV? Or do you own a vintage motorcycle?

"Real" motocycles leak oil. Since mine doesn't, that makes it modern, even
though it's a 1985 Honda Interceptor VF500. Poor thing has almost no miles
on it... any day nice enough to ride a motorcycle is a day I can ride a
bicycle.

--
--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA
"Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> > Right, just ignore all that and listen to yourself. Go to the local big
>> > box and check the price on a quart of chainsaw oil and a quart of
>> > low-odor/odorless mineral spirits (aka, paint thinner). Once you mix
>> > the stuff, you have a ten-year supply. You can pour some into the cute
>> > 'lil Prolink bottle and the convenience factor won't change one bit.
>> > You can give some away to your riding buddies, too. So, do the math and
>> > do what makes sense to you.

>> Well, he did mention that a bottle costs $5-7, and lasts him over a year.
>> "Convenience" is different things to different people. Some would say
>> it's
>> not worth the hassle to deal with a quart of chainsaw oil and a quart of
>> paint thinner, a, what, 50-year-plus supply?

> At 4oz a year, we're talking a 16 year supply.
>

>> Perhaps he could go into the
>> business of selling or even giving away the stuff, but that's probably
>> more
>> trouble than it's worth. And that's what it really comes down to. Whether
>> something is worth the bother or not.

> Agreed, that's what I meant by "do the math and do what makes sense to
> you". To me, mixing the stuff is trivial. OTOH, paying $5-7 for 4oz of
> a low cost, commodity product rubs me wrong. YMMV.
>

>>For me, I avoid big-box stores like
>> the plague, and I'll admit that even changing the oil in my car is
>> something
>> I rarely do. My motorcycle, yes, the car, no. Why? I'm not sure,
>> different
>> priorities I guess, different ways that I look at the two vehicles.
>>

> Well, modern cars are less involving, eh? Much more reliable, but
> boring. Makes DIY oil changes seem kinda pointless. (Do you remember
> spending hours changing the oil, setting the points, cleaning and
> gapping the 'plugs, adjusting the carbs, etc? It was all part of an
> involving ritual, one that affects the way you look at a vehicle.)
>
> I know almost nothing about modern motorcycles. Are they still fun from
> an owner/mechanic POV? Or do you own a vintage motorcycle?

"Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Well, modern cars are less involving, eh? Much more reliable, but
> boring. Makes DIY oil changes seem kinda pointless. (Do you remember
> spending hours changing the oil, setting the points, cleaning and
> gapping the 'plugs, adjusting the carbs, etc? It was all part of an
> involving ritual, one that affects the way you look at a vehicle.)
>
> I know almost nothing about modern motorcycles. Are they still fun from
> an owner/mechanic POV? Or do you own a vintage motorcycle?

Ozark, if you enjoy motorcycles in that way, I have an Enfield 500cc
thumper you might like. It's for sale, but don't contact me on list.

Considerations of others and all that. But I would not be surprised to
find a subset of bicycle fanciers who also enjoy motorized single track
vehicles,

--
Ted Bennett