Promo's other than T-shirts

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides' started by mary, Apr 18, 2004.

  1. mary

    mary Guest

    It seems as if each bike ride provides the rider a t-shirt. I was wondering
    if anyone has been on a ride that provided something other than a t-shirt or
    water bottle. I was thinking of a "scarf" with a map of the route printed on
    it. Do you think people would find this useful?

    Thanks

    Tom

    Tags:

  2. B a r r y

    B a r r y Guest

    On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 05:34:57 -0400, "mary" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >It seems as if each bike ride provides the rider a t-shirt. I was wondering
    >if anyone has been on a ride that provided something other than a t-shirt or
    >water bottle.

    Cycling socks!

    Very useful.

    Barry

  3. Pat

    Pat Guest

    > It seems as if each bike ride provides the rider a t-shirt. I was

    wondering
    > if anyone has been on a ride that provided something other than a t-shirt

    or water bottle. I was thinking of a "scarf" with a map of the route printed
    on it. Do you think people would find this useful?

    > Thanks
    >
    > Tom

    A few years ago, the folks at the Waco Wild West Century gave out small
    white towels. That was great! Those towels were just the right size to
    carry in the back pockets. Once, I got a tank top shirt.

    Pat in TX

  4. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    mary wrote:

    > I was wondering if anyone has been on a ride that provided something
    > other than a t-shirt or water bottle. I was thinking of a "scarf"
    > with a map of the route printed on it. Do you think people would
    > find this useful?

    The Steinbeck Century in Carmel Valley gives out scarves with the
    route on them. We have four of them now that we use as cleaning
    rags. They were eve less useful during the ride, a paper route sheet
    being much better.

    The Sequoia Century gives out socks. Those I find useful.

  5. Dick Durbin

    Dick Durbin Guest

    "mary" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > It seems as if each bike ride provides the rider a t-shirt. I was wondering
    > if anyone has been on a ride that provided something other than a t-shirt or
    > water bottle. I was thinking of a "scarf" with a map of the route printed on
    > it. Do you think people would find this useful?

    We did exactly that several years ago for TOSRV South. It did not go
    over well. People wanted a T shirt.

    When I first started riding organized rides back in the 70s, you got a
    patch for each ride. Folks would parade around in jackets with dozens
    of patches from all the rides they had done.

    Dick Durbin

  6. Pat

    Pat Guest

    > It seems as if each bike ride provides the rider a t-shirt. I was

    wondering
    > if anyone has been on a ride that provided something other than a t-shirt

    or
    > water bottle. I was thinking of a "scarf" with a map of the route printed

    on
    > it. Do you think people would find this useful?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Tom

    The Hotter 'n' Hell Hundred gives out little metal pins.

    Pat in TX

  7. Karen M.

    Karen M. Guest

    "mary" (who is really Tom) wrote:
    > It seems as if each bike ride provides the rider a t-shirt. I was wondering
    > if anyone has been on a ride that provided something other than a t-shirt or
    > water bottle. I was thinking of a "scarf" with a map of the route printed on
    > it. Do you think people would find this useful?

    If you're wearing the bandana, you'd have to take it off to use the
    map. Not great utility. However, the billboard factor (in promoting
    your ride for the future) is there...
    Rides I've been on have offered T-shirts, long-sleeve T-shirts,
    pocketed T-shirts, water bottles, cloisonne pins, bandanas, patch kits
    (with ride logo stickered to the box lid), neck wallets, frisbee-type
    things, and I forget what else. Some require bike flags, and they sell
    same with the ride logo. Hilly 100 seems to be the champ at creating
    product; sweatshirts, sweatpants, gloves, socks, you name it.
    HTH
    --Karen M.

  8. NYRides

    NYRides Guest

    Sorry. I don't have time to read all the replies, but I'm sure this idea
    came up already...

    I think you're on the right track, but I think a TOWEL with a map of the
    route would be more useful because it's something you can take on the ride
    and use all day. A scarf might require the rider to go all the way back to
    his/her car to put it away before the ride.

    "mary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > It seems as if each bike ride provides the rider a t-shirt. I was

    wondering
    > if anyone has been on a ride that provided something other than a t-shirt

    or
    > water bottle. I was thinking of a "scarf" with a map of the route printed

    on
    > it. Do you think people would find this useful?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Tom

  9. Roy Zipris

    Roy Zipris Guest

    I've suggested to my club that we give out cycling caps with the club
    logo on the brim, perhaps on one side and club name or other design on
    the flip side. --Roy Zipris

  10. jmk

    jmk Guest

    I just did a ride in Texas where the chotchkie pack include a nice Pearl
    Izumi headband. It was the coolmax type... a very nice throw-in on the part
    of the organizers (Fort Worth Bicycle Club). They also included a patch
    kit, CLIF Bar and Texas Blue Bonnet seeds.

    Jim K

    "B a r r y" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 05:34:57 -0400, "mary" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >It seems as if each bike ride provides the rider a t-shirt. I was

    wondering
    > >if anyone has been on a ride that provided something other than a t-shirt

    or
    > >water bottle.

    > Cycling socks!
    >
    > Very useful.
    >
    > Barry

  11. John Sontag

    John Sontag Guest

    I've received T-shirts, bandannas, patches, and patch kits, just to name a
    few. I use the bandannas at work to cover electronic equipment from dust.
    I've never used the parch kits. And the patches I have sewn onto a jacket.
    I agree with the other folks, a towel would probably be best.

    John
    "mary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > It seems as if each bike ride provides the rider a t-shirt. I was

    wondering
    > if anyone has been on a ride that provided something other than a t-shirt

    or
    > water bottle. I was thinking of a "scarf" with a map of the route printed

    on
    > it. Do you think people would find this useful?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Tom

  12. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    > I just did a ride in Texas where the chotchkie pack include a nice Pearl
    > Izumi headband. It was the coolmax type... a very nice throw-in on the part

    That would be nice. I also like the suggestion of a cycling cap, or a
    map holder.

    newsgroups if possible).

  13. Bernie

    Bernie Guest

    John Sontag wrote:

    >I've received T-shirts, bandannas, patches, and patch kits, just to name a
    >few. I use the bandannas at work to cover electronic equipment from dust.
    >I've never used the parch kits. And the patches I have sewn onto a jacket.
    >I agree with the other folks, a towel would probably be best.
    >
    >John
    >"mary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >
    >>It seems as if each bike ride provides the rider a t-shirt. I was
    >>

    >wondering
    >
    >>if anyone has been on a ride that provided something other than a t-shirt
    >>

    >or
    >
    >>water bottle. I was thinking of a "scarf" with a map of the route printed
    >>

    >on
    >
    >>it. Do you think people would find this useful?
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>
    >>Tom

    Being a cyclist who makes good use of bandanas, I would value a bandana
    with a map of a bike ride on it.
    Bernie

  14. Roy Zipris

    Roy Zipris Guest

    At the Pinelands Triple Loop this past weekend, the Shore Cycle Club
    gave you a choice of a t-shirt or a license plate frame. Although I
    opted for the t-shirt, I thought the frame was a pretty neat
    alternative, with several colors and slogans to choose from: Share the
    Road or My Other Car is a Bike. --Roy Zipris

  15. Emily

    Emily Guest

    "Roy Zipris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > At the Pinelands Triple Loop this past weekend, the Shore Cycle Club
    > gave you a choice of a t-shirt or a license plate frame. Although I
    > opted for the t-shirt, I thought the frame was a pretty neat
    > alternative, with several colors and slogans to choose from: Share the
    > Road or My Other Car is a Bike. --Roy Zipris

    Oooh, cool idea. I would have gone for that for sure. I have way too many
    event t-shirts.

    Emily

  16. Consider one of those folding multi-tools with the ride name and date on it.
    There are loads of Taiwan sources for them...
    I could check with Kenda, they just got a load of them as promos. The
    average tee shirt probably costs $5-10, depending upon quantity and
    production elements. I would bet you could get away for less than that for
    one of those tools and produce something pretty unique.

    Bruce Gilbert
    Bike Medicine
    8633 West Airport Blvd., Suite 1017
    Houston, Texas 77071
    713-773-0477 OFFICE
    713-723-4069 FAX
    1-866 286-LUBE (5823) Toll Free
    www.purpleextreme.com

    Distributors of:
    Purple Extreme Synthetic Lubricant
    Diletto Racing Bicycles

    "mary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > It seems as if each bike ride provides the rider a t-shirt. I was

    wondering
    > if anyone has been on a ride that provided something other than a t-shirt

    or
    > water bottle. I was thinking of a "scarf" with a map of the route printed

    on
    > it. Do you think people would find this useful?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Tom

  17. Pat

    Pat Guest

    > Consider one of those folding multi-tools with the ride name and date on

    it.
    > There are loads of Taiwan sources for them...
    > I could check with Kenda, they just got a load of them as promos. The
    > average tee shirt probably costs $5-10, depending upon quantity and
    > production elements. I would bet you could get away for less than that for
    > one of those tools and produce something pretty unique.
    >
    > Bruce Gilbert

    I am starting to see bike ride brochures stating: "if you do not want the
    tee shirt, subtract $3."

    Pat in TX where I rode the 100K in Burleson last Saturday. W_I_N_D_Y as all
    get out!

  18. JimLane

    JimLane Guest

    Pat wrote:
    >>Consider one of those folding multi-tools with the ride name and date on

    > it.
    >
    >>There are loads of Taiwan sources for them...
    >>I could check with Kenda, they just got a load of them as promos. The
    >>average tee shirt probably costs $5-10, depending upon quantity and
    >>production elements. I would bet you could get away for less than that for
    >>one of those tools and produce something pretty unique.
    >>
    >>Bruce Gilbert

    > I am starting to see bike ride brochures stating: "if you do not want the
    > tee shirt, subtract $3."
    >
    > Pat in TX where I rode the 100K in Burleson last Saturday. W_I_N_D_Y as all
    > get out!

    Compare that deduction with the cost of the shirt if you order more than
    the one included in the entry fee.

    jim