Promo's other than T-shirts

mary

Guest
It seems as if each bike ride provides the rider a t-shirt. I was wondering
if anyone has been on a ride that provided something other than a t-shirt or
water bottle. I was thinking of a "scarf" with a map of the route printed on
it. Do you think people would find this useful?

Thanks

Tom

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 05:34:57 -0400, "mary" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>It seems as if each bike ride provides the rider a t-shirt. I was wondering
>if anyone has been on a ride that provided something other than a t-shirt or
>water bottle.

Cycling socks!

Very useful.

Barry

> It seems as if each bike ride provides the rider a t-shirt. I was

wondering
> if anyone has been on a ride that provided something other than a t-shirt

or water bottle. I was thinking of a "scarf" with a map of the route printed
on it. Do you think people would find this useful?

> Thanks
>
> Tom

A few years ago, the folks at the Waco Wild West Century gave out small
white towels. That was great! Those towels were just the right size to
carry in the back pockets. Once, I got a tank top shirt.

Pat in TX

mary wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone has been on a ride that provided something
> other than a t-shirt or water bottle. I was thinking of a "scarf"
> with a map of the route printed on it. Do you think people would
> find this useful?

The Steinbeck Century in Carmel Valley gives out scarves with the
route on them. We have four of them now that we use as cleaning
rags. They were eve less useful during the ride, a paper route sheet
being much better.

The Sequoia Century gives out socks. Those I find useful.

"mary" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> It seems as if each bike ride provides the rider a t-shirt. I was wondering
> if anyone has been on a ride that provided something other than a t-shirt or
> water bottle. I was thinking of a "scarf" with a map of the route printed on
> it. Do you think people would find this useful?

We did exactly that several years ago for TOSRV South. It did not go
over well. People wanted a T shirt.

When I first started riding organized rides back in the 70s, you got a
patch for each ride. Folks would parade around in jackets with dozens
of patches from all the rides they had done.

**** Durbin

> It seems as if each bike ride provides the rider a t-shirt. I was

wondering
> if anyone has been on a ride that provided something other than a t-shirt

or
> water bottle. I was thinking of a "scarf" with a map of the route printed

on
> it. Do you think people would find this useful?
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom

The Hotter 'n' Hell Hundred gives out little metal pins.

Pat in TX

"mary" (who is really Tom) wrote:
> It seems as if each bike ride provides the rider a t-shirt. I was wondering
> if anyone has been on a ride that provided something other than a t-shirt or
> water bottle. I was thinking of a "scarf" with a map of the route printed on
> it. Do you think people would find this useful?

If you're wearing the bandana, you'd have to take it off to use the
map. Not great utility. However, the billboard factor (in promoting
your ride for the future) is there...
Rides I've been on have offered T-shirts, long-sleeve T-shirts,
pocketed T-shirts, water bottles, cloisonne pins, bandanas, patch kits
(with ride logo stickered to the box lid), neck wallets, frisbee-type
things, and I forget what else. Some require bike flags, and they sell
same with the ride logo. Hilly 100 seems to be the champ at creating
product; sweatshirts, sweatpants, gloves, socks, you name it.
HTH
--Karen M.

Sorry. I don't have time to read all the replies, but I'm sure this idea
came up already...

I think you're on the right track, but I think a TOWEL with a map of the
route would be more useful because it's something you can take on the ride
and use all day. A scarf might require the rider to go all the way back to
his/her car to put it away before the ride.

"mary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> It seems as if each bike ride provides the rider a t-shirt. I was

wondering
> if anyone has been on a ride that provided something other than a t-shirt

or
> water bottle. I was thinking of a "scarf" with a map of the route printed

on
> it. Do you think people would find this useful?
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom

I've suggested to my club that we give out cycling caps with the club
logo on the brim, perhaps on one side and club name or other design on
the flip side. --Roy Zipris

I just did a ride in Texas where the chotchkie pack include a nice Pearl
Izumi headband. It was the coolmax type... a very nice throw-in on the part
of the organizers (Fort Worth Bicycle Club). They also included a patch
kit, CLIF Bar and Texas Blue Bonnet seeds.

Jim K

"B a r r y" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 05:34:57 -0400, "mary" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >It seems as if each bike ride provides the rider a t-shirt. I was

wondering
> >if anyone has been on a ride that provided something other than a t-shirt

or
> >water bottle.

> Cycling socks!
>
> Very useful.
>
> Barry

I've received T-shirts, bandannas, patches, and patch kits, just to name a
few. I use the bandannas at work to cover electronic equipment from dust.
I've never used the parch kits. And the patches I have sewn onto a jacket.
I agree with the other folks, a towel would probably be best.

John
"mary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> It seems as if each bike ride provides the rider a t-shirt. I was

wondering
> if anyone has been on a ride that provided something other than a t-shirt

or
> water bottle. I was thinking of a "scarf" with a map of the route printed

on
> it. Do you think people would find this useful?
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom

> I just did a ride in Texas where the chotchkie pack include a nice Pearl
> Izumi headband. It was the coolmax type... a very nice throw-in on the part

That would be nice. I also like the suggestion of a cycling cap, or a
map holder.

newsgroups if possible).

John Sontag wrote:

>I've received T-shirts, bandannas, patches, and patch kits, just to name a
>few. I use the bandannas at work to cover electronic equipment from dust.
>I've never used the parch kits. And the patches I have sewn onto a jacket.
>I agree with the other folks, a towel would probably be best.
>
>John
>"mary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>
>>It seems as if each bike ride provides the rider a t-shirt. I was
>>

>wondering
>
>>if anyone has been on a ride that provided something other than a t-shirt
>>

>or
>
>>water bottle. I was thinking of a "scarf" with a map of the route printed
>>

>on
>
>>it. Do you think people would find this useful?
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Tom

Being a cyclist who makes good use of bandanas, I would value a bandana
with a map of a bike ride on it.
Bernie

At the Pinelands Triple Loop this past weekend, the Shore Cycle Club
gave you a choice of a t-shirt or a license plate frame. Although I
opted for the t-shirt, I thought the frame was a pretty neat
alternative, with several colors and slogans to choose from: Share the
Road or My Other Car is a Bike. --Roy Zipris

"Roy Zipris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> At the Pinelands Triple Loop this past weekend, the Shore Cycle Club
> gave you a choice of a t-shirt or a license plate frame. Although I
> opted for the t-shirt, I thought the frame was a pretty neat
> alternative, with several colors and slogans to choose from: Share the
> Road or My Other Car is a Bike. --Roy Zipris

Oooh, cool idea. I would have gone for that for sure. I have way too many
event t-shirts.

Emily

Consider one of those folding multi-tools with the ride name and date on it.
There are loads of Taiwan sources for them...
I could check with Kenda, they just got a load of them as promos. The
average tee shirt probably costs $5-10, depending upon quantity and
production elements. I would bet you could get away for less than that for
one of those tools and produce something pretty unique.

Bruce Gilbert
Bike Medicine
8633 West Airport Blvd., Suite 1017
Houston, Texas 77071
713-773-0477 OFFICE
713-723-4069 FAX
1-866 286-LUBE (5823) Toll Free
www.purpleextreme.com

Distributors of:
Purple Extreme Synthetic Lubricant
Diletto Racing Bicycles

"mary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> It seems as if each bike ride provides the rider a t-shirt. I was

wondering
> if anyone has been on a ride that provided something other than a t-shirt

or
> water bottle. I was thinking of a "scarf" with a map of the route printed

on
> it. Do you think people would find this useful?
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom
>

> Consider one of those folding multi-tools with the ride name and date on

it.
> There are loads of Taiwan sources for them...
> I could check with Kenda, they just got a load of them as promos. The
> average tee shirt probably costs $5-10, depending upon quantity and
> production elements. I would bet you could get away for less than that for
> one of those tools and produce something pretty unique.
>
> Bruce Gilbert

I am starting to see bike ride brochures stating: "if you do not want the
tee shirt, subtract $3."

Pat in TX where I rode the 100K in Burleson last Saturday. W_I_N_D_Y as all
get out!

Pat wrote:
>>Consider one of those folding multi-tools with the ride name and date on

> it.
>
>>There are loads of Taiwan sources for them...
>>I could check with Kenda, they just got a load of them as promos. The
>>average tee shirt probably costs $5-10, depending upon quantity and
>>production elements. I would bet you could get away for less than that for
>>one of those tools and produce something pretty unique.
>>
>>Bruce Gilbert

> I am starting to see bike ride brochures stating: "if you do not want the
> tee shirt, subtract $3."
>
> Pat in TX where I rode the 100K in Burleson last Saturday. W_I_N_D_Y as all
> get out!

Compare that deduction with the cost of the shirt if you order more than
the one included in the entry fee.

jim