Pronunciation of bike names

Walrus

New Member
Apr 4, 2004
As a newbie, I hear all sorts of pronunciation when it comes to cycling. Can someone clear these up for me?

My average Italian makes me say these words a particular way (eg "C" is pronounced "Ch", but I've heard others say them differently.

I know it's no big deal, but I like to know that what I'm saying is right...

-Cervelo (Chervelo, or Servelo)
-Ksyrium (K syrium, Syrium)
-Cinelli (Chinelli, or Sinelli)
-Bianchi (Bianki, Bianchi)
-Gitane (Jitane, or Jitarn)

Any others?

Walrus said:
As a newbie, I hear all sorts of pronunciation when it comes to cycling. Can someone clear these up for me?

My average Italian makes me say these words a particular way (eg "C" is pronounced "Ch", but I've heard others say them differently.

I know it's no big deal, but I like to know that what I'm saying is right...

-Cervelo (Chervelo, or Servelo)
-Ksyrium (K syrium, Syrium)
-Cinelli (Chinelli, or Sinelli)
-Bianchi (Bianki, Bianchi)
-Gitane (Jitane, or Jitarn)

Any others?

Cinelli is pronounced Chinelli
Bianchi is pronounced Bianki

Cervelo, not sure but they're a Canadian bike so I'd say Servelo.

Walrus said:
As a newbie, I hear all sorts of pronunciation when it comes to cycling. Can someone clear these up for me?

My average Italian makes me say these words a particular way (eg "C" is pronounced "Ch", but I've heard others say them differently.

I know it's no big deal, but I like to know that what I'm saying is right...

-Cervelo (Chervelo, or Servelo)
-Ksyrium (K syrium, Syrium)
-Cinelli (Chinelli, or Sinelli)
-Bianchi (Bianki, Bianchi)
-Gitane (Jitane, or Jitarn)

Any others?

Look - as in soon not cook (ie luke)

I've got a couple more.
Vivace, and
Merida. I've heard them pronounced in a few different ways.

"Courtancer" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> I've got a couple more.
> Vivace, and
> Merida. I've heard them pronounced in a few different ways.
>

> --
> Courtancer

What about that exotic "Huffy" brand....(pronounced Who Fay)

Gags

ProfTournesol said:
Colnago - soft G or hard G?
Campagnolo - how to pronounce the G?

I'd guess virtually not at all. ie>- cam-pan-YOH-loh Sort of like jalapeno. Oh, and Vivace would probably be Vee-VAH-chay.

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 13:19:25 +1100, ProfTournesol
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Colnago - soft G or hard G?

hard.

>Campagnolo - how to pronounce the G?

The gn is pronounced like the gn in gnocchi :) OK, That's not going
to help much is it? Like the gn in gnu. And while we're on about it,
the o's are not pronounced like owe, but more like the o in hot.

Here's one that always gives trouble :) Ciocc.

--
Regards.
Richard.

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Colnago - soft G or hard G?

hard.

>Campagnolo - how to pronounce the G?

The gn is pronounced like the gn in gnocchi :) OK, That's not going
to help much is it? Like the gn in gnu. And while we're on about it,
the o's are not pronounced like owe, but more like the o in hot.

Here's one that always gives trouble :) Ciocc.

--
Regards.
Richard.

"chee-OKK"? Or "chee-OHCH"?

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 16:29:40 +1100, Resound
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Richard Sherratt Wrote:

<snip>
>> Here's one that always gives trouble :) Ciocc.

>"chee-OKK"? Or "chee-OHCH"?

The second one's close :)

The Ci gives you a Ch. The o gives you an o (like the o in hot). The
cc gives you a ch. So it's Choch.

So who else used to have an Italian mother-in-law with an impeccable
cultured Italian accent who winced at the way English speakers
pronounced Italian? :) But, to give her her due, she was happy to
give lots of coaching and never laughed maliciously at the inevitable
mistakes.

--
Regards.
Richard.

Richard Sherratt wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 13:19:25 +1100, ProfTournesol
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Colnago - soft G or hard G?

> hard.
>

>>Campagnolo - how to pronounce the G?

> The gn is pronounced like the gn in gnocchi :) OK, That's not going
> to help much is it? Like the gn in gnu. And while we're on about it,
> the o's are not pronounced like owe, but more like the o in hot.
>
> Here's one that always gives trouble :) Ciocc.

I prefer 'Chook'.

But then, I don't own one :)

--
Nick

"Walrus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> As a newbie, I hear all sorts of pronunciation when it comes to cycling.
> Can someone clear these up for me?
>
> My average Italian makes me say these words a particular way (eg "C" is
> pronounced "Ch", but I've heard others say them differently.
>
> I know it's no big deal, but I like to know that what I'm saying is
> right...
>
> -Cervelo (*Ch*ervelo, or *S*ervelo)
> -Ksyrium (*K* syrium, *S*yrium)
> -Cinelli (*Ch*inelli, or *S*inelli)
> -Bianchi (Bian*k*i, Bian*ch*i)
> -Gitane (*J*it*a*ne, or *J*it*ar*n)
>
> Any others?

I own an Orbea, and can not get any agreement on how to properly pronounce
the name. Even one of the brands sales reps could not tell me the proper
pronunciation of the name. I pronounce it as "or-bay", while others
pronounce it as "or-bee" or "or-be-ah". Nice talking point though, in
addition to the bikes very funky colour scheme.

Sasha

Sasha said:
"Walrus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> As a newbie, I hear all sorts of pronunciation when it comes to cycling.
> Can someone clear these up for me?
>
> My average Italian makes me say these words a particular way (eg "C" is
> pronounced "Ch", but I've heard others say them differently.
>
> I know it's no big deal, but I like to know that what I'm saying is
> right...
>
> -Cervelo (*Ch*ervelo, or *S*ervelo)
> -Ksyrium (*K* syrium, *S*yrium)
> -Cinelli (*Ch*inelli, or *S*inelli)
> -Bianchi (Bian*k*i, Bian*ch*i)
> -Gitane (*J*it*a*ne, or *J*it*ar*n)
>
> Any others?

I own an Orbea, and can not get any agreement on how to properly pronounce
the name. Even one of the brands sales reps could not tell me the proper
pronunciation of the name. I pronounce it as "or-bay", while others
pronounce it as "or-bee" or "or-be-ah". Nice talking point though, in
addition to the bikes very funky colour scheme.

Sasha

> --
> Walrus

I say Or-bay-a, Sir-velo, Sy-rium, Chin-elli, Be-an-key, Campag-nolo (with a mumble on the 'gn'), Col-nay-go and Ji-tane.

Probably explains why I ride a Cannondale :p easy to pronounce.

B.T. wrote:

>>>-Cervelo (*Ch*ervelo, or *S*ervelo)
>>>-Ksyrium (*K* syrium, *S*yrium)
>>>-Cinelli (*Ch*inelli, or *S*inelli)
>>>-Bianchi (Bian*k*i, Bian*ch*i)
>>>-Gitane (*J*it*a*ne, or *J*it*ar*n)
>>>

> I say Or-bay-a, Sir-velo, Sy-rium, Chin-elli, Be-an-key, Campag-nolo
> (with a mumble on the 'gn'), Col-nay-go and Ji-tane.
>
> Probably explains why I ride a Cannondale :p easy to pronounce.

I wouldn't even attempt to. Hence I ride a Trek. 4 letters, 1 syllable.

"jazmo" <[email protected]
> Walrus Wrote:
> > As a newbie, I hear all sorts of pronunciation when it comes to cycling.
> > Can someone clear these up for me?
> >
> > My average Italian makes me say these words a particular way (eg "C" is
> > pronounced "Ch", but I've heard others say them differently.
> >
> > I know it's no big deal, but I like to know that what I'm saying is
> > right...
> >
> > -Cervelo (*Ch*ervelo, or *S*ervelo)
> > -Ksyrium (*K* syrium, *S*yrium)
> > -Cinelli (*Ch*inelli, or *S*inelli)
> > -Bianchi (Bian*k*i, Bian*ch*i)
> > -Gitane (*J*it*a*ne, or *J*it*ar*n)
> >
> > Any others?

> Cinelli is pronounced Chinelli
> Bianchi is pronounced Bianki

What if you're an occa like me?

I say Sin-elli and Bi-an-chi or
sometimes Shin-elli.

"Cervélo is a combination of the Italian word for brain "cervello"
and the french word for bike, "vélo". So it's a brainbike, or a
bike with some extra thought put into it. We thought it was
funny at the time, so we used it as a working title and it
stuck."
http://www.cervelo.com/tech/qa/Q-A120.html

hippy
"Sir Velo" owner :)

"Richard Sherratt" <[email protected]> wrote in
message
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >Richard Sherratt Wrote:

> <snip>
> >> Here's one that always gives trouble :) Ciocc.

> >"chee-OKK"? Or "chee-OHCH"?

> The second one's close :)
>
> The Ci gives you a Ch. The o gives you an o (like the o in hot). The
> cc gives you a ch. So it's Choch.
>
> So who else used to have an Italian mother-in-law with an impeccable
> cultured Italian accent who winced at the way English speakers
> pronounced Italian? :) But, to give her her due, she was happy to
> give lots of coaching and never laughed maliciously at the inevitable
> mistakes.

Problem is.. the Aussie sales dudes probably think
you're a poseur if you use the correct Italian/French/etc
pronounciation. They'll spit on your derailers before
bringing them out to you ;-)

hippy
P.S. Did anyone else catch the Mexico Track
Worlds on SBS this morning? Nice trackstand
battle in one of the sprints :)