Pronunciation of Sidi?

See dee. Nobody's going to laugh at you if you mispronounce it though. OK maybe George will. ;)

That sparked a thought, George. Bee-an-key or Bee-an-chee? Which do you prefer and why?

One thing is for sure Adidas sure isn't pronounced anywhere else in the world like the way it is in North America. Drives my German friends nuts (originally a German company). It's not A-deee-das, rather ad-did-das (well in fact the Germans pronounce it Ad-did-duss). Bit off topic but while we're at it my better half is Finnish and cringes whenever she hears an American pronouncing Nokia, No-keey-ya. The company is Finnish not Japanese so just Nok-e-ya, short e.

Guess it's not really of huge importance in the grand scheme of things but hope it's of interest.

886014 said:
One thing is for sure Adidas sure isn't pronounced anywhere else in the world like the way it is in North America. Drives my German friends nuts (originally a German company). It's not A-deee-das, rather ad-did-das (well in fact the Germans pronounce it Ad-did-duss). Bit off topic but while we're at it my better half is Finnish and cringes whenever she hears an American pronouncing Nokia, No-keey-ya. The company is Finnish not Japanese so just Nok-e-ya, short e.

Guess it's not really of huge importance in the grand scheme of things but hope it's of interest.

So true.

The first time I heard an American say Nissan (as in the cars) I had no idea what they were referring to. It was "nee-sun" or some bloody thing.

Funny.

RC2 said:
That sparked a thought, George. Bee-an-key or Bee-an-chee? Which do you prefer and why?
Pretty sure it's bee-AHN-key.

One that always got me: IKEA. Anyone from Europe will confirm that the proper Swedish pronunciation, ee-KAY-ah, is used throughout the region--not just in Sweden. In Germany, France, and elsewhere, they've got it right.

What's interesting is that the common American pronunciation, eye-KEY-ah, isn't just a cheap colloquial thing; it's the pronunciation they use in advertising here. It would be interesting to know how it fell into place that way.

One that always got me: IKEA. Anyone from Europe will confirm that the proper Swedish pronunciation, ee-KAY-ah, is used throughout the region--not just in Sweden. In Germany, France, and elsewhere, they've got it right.
Huh, is that right! I never knew that. I’m about to go on a ride so raced into the bedroom to confirm this with “The Finn”. It’s pretty early so her response after waking her up to ask how Ikea was pronounced contained a few additional words I can’t print here, but it seems you’re correct Lokstah. Both she and my German friends say “eye-key-ya” when they speak with me though.

886014 said:
Huh, is that right! I never knew that. I’m about to go on a ride so raced into the bedroom to confirm this with “The Finn”. It’s pretty early so her response after waking her up to ask how Ikea was pronounced contained a few additional words I can’t print here, but it seems you’re correct Lokstah. Both she and my German friends say “eye-key-ya” when they speak with me though.
Being about as American as they come, I cling to my invalid pronunciation--but like your Finnish friend, my Euro-pals harbor a knowing, cynical frustration deep down whenever I say it... we're all dead wrong, it seems...

lokstah said:
Being about as American as they come, I cling to my invalid pronunciation--but like your Finnish friend, my Euro-pals harbor a knowing, cynical frustration deep down whenever I say it... we're all dead wrong, it seems...

I'm sorry, but since I have no idea what IKEA is, it must not be important and can be pronounced any way one likes.

Cheap furniture store with huge amounts of inventory and anything you can ask for. It also has a playground for the kids.

sphen138 said:
Cheap furniture store with huge amounts of inventory and anything you can ask for. It also has a playground for the kids.
Yes, swedish IKEA is rapidly building stores in major US cities. Lots of modern furniture, plus kitchen, bath stuff in huge stores with cafeteria and playground. I like their style; waiting for the Atlanta store to open soon.

No offense to Aussie ed, but is Powerful Pete or another italian here to give us the final word on pronounciation of Sidi? (I still think it's "see-dee")

dhk said:
No offense to Aussie ed, but is Powerful Pete or another italian here to give us the final word on pronounciation of Sidi? (I still think it's "see-dee")

The Italian "i" is a shorter vowel than the English speaker's "ee", so "see-dee" isn't quite right.
(But I'm not Italian :) ).

yea your pretty much there mate... its sid with an i on the end...

so for pronunciation maybe go with ' sidy '

hope this helps

youm0nt said:
what about

Dedacciai
colnago
pinarello

?
Italian is pronounced as it is spelled as far as I know. So I'd guess it would be:
day DA chee yay
col NA go
pin air REL o (accent on the CAP Letters)

While we're at it, how do you pronounce those Mavic wheels Ksyrium?

Ok, my mother tongue is italian, so I'll try it. First, p38lightning is right, in italian you pronounce (about) everything like you spell.

- sidi: as other said it's "seedee" (the "ee" are very short)
- pinarello: in italian 'a' is pronounced like the *very* first sound of the english word "idea" or the "u" of "interrupting".
On the other hand, "i" is pronounced "ee".
Then, "e" is like the first sound of "hallo" without the "h"...
I guess my explanation are not that clear, but the result is something like "peen-air-hallo".
- colnago: same thing for the "a": ..."col-na-go", the a is, like I said before, like the *very* first sound of "idea".
- de rosa: something like "the rosa", careful with the ending 'a'.
- dedacciai: ...sorry, too difficult :)

should I post some mp3's? :D

ah, for the "ksyrium" we say "sear-ree-um" (without the k), but it's not italian!