pronunciation question

mattjf

Jul 31, 2005
This is probably a dumb question, but how do you pronounce Roubaix? Is it Ru-bay?

-Matt

mattjf said:
This is probably a dumb question, but how do you pronounce Roubaix? Is it Ru-bay?

-Matt
Did a search on tinternet. Apparently it's Rou-bai. Isn't the tinternet brill?:D

mattjf said:

-Matt
Roubaix : roo - bay

think of the percious stone Ruby. Its pronounced just like that with the emphasis on the 'by'

Bob Roll refers to the preminent Classic as Pairee Roubay.

Of course, he also calls it's big brother the Tour Day France.

Actually, I heard him explain that mangling of pronunciation - seems Bob has had to put up with so many French waiters that seem unable to understand anything he says - French or English - that he deliberately mangles the name of the TDF as payback.

"ru-bix", as in the cube.

JohnO said:

Actually, I heard him explain that mangling of pronunciation - seems Bob has had to put up with so many French waiters that seem unable to understand anything he says - French or English - that he deliberately mangles the name of the TDF as payback.

JohnO said:

i bet the waiters are regretting it now..