Proof that lowracers are real fast

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Ed Gin & Shirleen Kajiwara" <[email protected]> ...
> Well put Tom, He apparantly doesn't get it.

That wasn't even a real event, any event that lets contraptions that you guys ride take part is one
event that a real cyclist like me would never be seen at.

Do you guys just not see how incredibly freaky you look?

In article <[email protected]>, derek <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>Bent riders don't avoid hills as a rule but they do avoid loops. Since the optional route was a
>loop, it stands to reason that the bent riders avoided
>it. . . .Bent riders also usually avoid out and back routes.
>

OK so if they don't ride loops or out-and-back then how does a bent rider ever get home? Are bent
riders like bedouins or something?

--Paul

In article <[email protected]>,
"derek" <[email protected]> writes:
> Frank,
>
> Bent riders don't avoid hills as a rule but they do avoid loops. Since the optional route was a
> loop, it stands to reason that the bent riders avoided
> it. . . .Bent riders also usually avoid out and back routes.

That's an awful lot of avoiding.

So much for commuting and utility runs by 'bent.

cheers, Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
[point] bc [point] ca

"David Kerber" <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote
> I'm trying to end the argument by seeing some real world results, because I want to see real life
> results, not "should be" results from laboratory calculations. I'm an engineer, and have some feel
> for how well laboratory results and theoretical calculations transfer to the real world. I.E.
> often not very well.

If you're an engineer then you should be interested in

Martin JC, Milliken DL, Cobb JE, McFadden KL, and Coggan AR. 1998. Validation of a mathematical
model of road cycling power. J Appl Biomech
14:276-291.

This was a of how well the laboratory results and theoretical calculations match up with the real
world. The answer is: very well indeed.

> The power equation doesn't take into account any effect that the different riding position might
> have on the overall mechanical efficiency of the bike/rider system.

If you're an engineer then I'm presuming you're using efficiency in an engineering sense and you'll
probably want to know that biomechanical efficiency doesn't appear to depend very much on position.
In any event, why would one care about efficiency anyway? Just eat another energy bar.

"Frank Krygowski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Robert Chung wrote:
> >
> > "David Kerber" <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote
> > > Not extremely surprising given the conditions. I'd still like to see
a
> > > similar race on a hilly course or a tough climb like the Mt.
Washington
> > > hill climb.
> >
> > Why? Rather than these interminable arguments, just ask for the CdA and weight of each type of
> > bicycle for a standard-sized rider. We know
enough
> > about the power equation to exactly answer under which conditions one
type
> > of bike will be faster than another for the same power input.
>
> As David said in response, your proposal leaves much to be desired. It's _not_ real world.

It's exactly as real world as figuring out how much of a time gap an extra pound on a bike would
cause while climbing a hill. And, as I pointed out in the other thread, a real world validation of
the power model is bang on.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>
> "David Kerber" <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote
> > I'm trying to end the argument by seeing some real world results, because I want to see real
> > life results, not "should be" results from laboratory calculations. I'm an engineer, and have
> > some feel for how well laboratory results and theoretical calculations transfer to the real
> > world. I.E. often not very well.
>
> If you're an engineer then you should be interested in
>
> Martin JC, Milliken DL, Cobb JE, McFadden KL, and Coggan AR. 1998. Validation of a mathematical
> model of road cycling power. J Appl Biomech
> 14:276-291.
>
> This was a of how well the laboratory results and theoretical calculations match up with the real
> world. The answer is: very well indeed.

Yes, I really am an engineer (EE to be specific) Is that paper available online? I'd like to see it.

> > The power equation doesn't take into account any effect that the different riding position might
> > have on the overall mechanical efficiency of the bike/rider system.
>
> If you're an engineer then I'm presuming you're using efficiency in an engineering sense and
> you'll probably want to know that biomechanical efficiency doesn't appear to depend very much on
> position.

That's exactly what I was referring to; is that discussed in the above paper?

> In any event, why would one care about efficiency anyway? Just eat another energy bar.

If you're already at max output, then better efficiency means more road speed, and another energy
bar won't help you.

--
David Kerber An optimist says "Good morning, Lord." While a pessimist says "Good Lord,
it's morning".

Remove the ns_ from the address before e-mailing.

"archer" <ns_archer1960@ns_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > If you're an engineer then you should be interested in
> >
> > Martin JC, Milliken DL, Cobb JE, McFadden KL, and Coggan AR. 1998. Validation of a mathematical
> > model of road cycling power. J Appl Biomech
> > 14:276-291.
> >
> > This was a test of how well the laboratory results and theoretical
calculations
> > match up with the real world. The answer is: very well indeed.
>
> Yes, I really am an engineer (EE to be specific) Is that paper available online? I'd like
> to see it.

Don't think so. You can see the abstract on-line, but not the paper itself. In any event, the model
in that paper is pretty close to the classic model in Whitt & Wilson, with a yaw component
correction for wind direction. The fit was very good, and the SE of the estimates was on the order
of 3 watts over the range of conditions they were able to test.

> > > The power equation doesn't take into account any effect that the different riding position
> > > might have on the overall mechanical efficiency of the bike/rider system.
> >
> > If you're an engineer then I'm presuming you're using efficiency in an engineering sense and
> > you'll probably want to know that biomechanical efficiency doesn't appear to depend very much on
> > position.
>
> That's exactly what I was referring to; is that discussed in the above paper?

Nope. Biomechanical efficiency during cycling usually sits in the range of 20-25%, and there really
isn't much you can do to improve that. There are things you can do to make it worse, however...

> > In any event, why would one care about efficiency anyway? Just eat another energy bar.
>
> If you're already at max output, then better efficiency means more road speed, and another energy
> bar won't help you.

Then you're not talking about efficiency of the rider. You must be talking about efficiency (i.e.,
resistance losses) in the bike, or perhaps whether positioning helps the rider to produce more power
(who cares about efficiency in those situations? If your efficiency goes from 23% to 24%, all it
means is that you don't have to eat another candy bar, not that your power output goes up). Rider
position doesn't affect bicycle efficiency in any meaningful way. Rider position does appear to
influence power production and my understanding is that thigh-torso angle is the biggest of these --
if you're too cramped up you won't be able to breathe right. On the other hand, simple rotations of
the body so that you're supine rather than upright *given the same thigh-torso angle* don't appear
to have much effect, nor does having a thigh-torso angle larger than, say, 90 degrees--your gut
can't really use anything wider than that. And I think we're talking about sustainable power:
positioning definitely has an influence on your ability to do things like sprint, but I don't think
max output is relevant since it only lasts for a couple of seconds.

As for the bike itself, slightly longer chain runs may make a small difference, but chain losses
aren't really all that big anyway. Mostly, the losses occur in the bending of the chain (as around
the derailleur rollers) so it may not be all that different between uprights and recumbents if they
both use conventional derailleurs (depending on how convoluted the chain path is on a recumbent, of
course). A slightly larger area of difference is in tire rolling resistance. All other things being
equal, smaller diameter tires tend to have slightly higher resistance since they often have to
deform more. They can have lower aero resistance, but presumably that gets picked up in the CdA.

For conventional uprights, a rule of thumb is that overall drivetrain losses are going to run around
5%. Even with the longer chainruns of a recumbent and (typically) smaller tires, the overall losses
couldn't be more than a couple of percent higher. At 250 watts, we're talking a difference of maybe
5 to 10 watts between the two platforms. Since power scales with the cube of velocity, for all "real
world" purposes that difference isn't going to be important if what you're trying to answer is which
is faster.

So, the two things that dominate are the aero drag force and the gravity drag force. The only
published data I've seen were several years old, from the (German) Tour magazine, and they showed
that most of the advantage in aero drag for recumbents comes from the use of a fairing. My memory
may be failing me, but IIRC unfaired recumbents (depending exactly on the type) had aero drag
numbers better than MTBs, better than upright riders on bartops, not quite as good as upright riders
in the drops--basically, in the same ballpark as upright riders on the brakehoods. Faired recuments
were a completely different story. I don't think any of the tested bikes were lowracers. In any
event, I'm not sure why putting a rider closer to the ground would affect CdA. If you took exactly
the same bike and held it up on a stick in the air, do you think the CdA would change?

The bottom line is that it doesn't make sense to compare Fast Freddy Markham in a fully-faired
recumbent with an old fat guy whose max output is 200 watts on an upright MTB, just as it doesn't
make sense to compare an old fat guy on a BikeE with Chris Boardman on a Lotus Superbike. Those are
"real world" comparisons, but it just feeds the endless debate. A guy I occasionally ride with
thrashes my butt, and he rides a red upright bike. I ride a black upright bike. Would you claim that
red bikes are faster? The debate in this thread is equivalent to that. The thing to ask is what's
the CdA with a standard-sized rider on each type of bike, and its total weight. From this you can
figure out exactly under which conditions each will do better or worse.

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:3ead2d92$0$31061

> power output goes up). Rider position doesn't affect bicycle efficiency in any meaningful way.
> Rider position does appear to influence power
production
> and my understanding is that thigh-torso angle is the biggest of these --
if
> you're too cramped up you won't be able to breathe right. On the other
hand,
> simple rotations of the body so that you're supine rather than upright *given the same thigh-torso
> angle* don't appear to have much effect, nor does having a thigh-torso angle larger than, say, 90
> degrees--your gut
can't
> really use anything wider than that. And I think we're talking about

Finally! Someone to answer all the questions I kept posing to AA (who never bothered to answer).
Was the thigh-torso angle was measured as a maximum or average? How did they measure the rotation
of the body? I agree that there is an optimum thigh-torso angle but I question the body rotation.
At the extreme, I doubt a person hanging upside down can produce the same power as a person that
is upright.

The answers to these questions should make a difference in recumbent design for two reasons. First,
lowracers, in their effort to get as low and flat as possible, may be opening the thigh-torso angle
too much, resulting in a loss in power. But if this is overcome by aerodynamics, it is a moot point.
Second, AA suggested that a lower BB elevation was preferable because it improved climbing ability.
I thought it might have to do with the overall body rotation when the grade becomes steeper. Maybe
having a more obtuse thigh-torso angle combined with a steeper body rotation is what is making the
difference. Any thoughts?

-Buck

> > That's exactly what I was referring to; is that discussed in the above paper?
>
> Nope. Biomechanical efficiency during cycling usually sits in the range of 20-25%, and there
> really isn't much you can do to improve that. There are things you can do to make it worse,
> however...
>
> > > In any event, why would one care about efficiency anyway? Just eat another energy bar.
> >
> > If you're already at max output, then better efficiency means more road speed, and another
> > energy bar won't help you.
>
> Then you're not talking about efficiency of the rider. You must be talking about efficiency (i.e.,
> resistance losses) in the bike, or perhaps whether positioning helps the rider to produce more
> power (who cares about

Actually, I was thinking of the overall efficiency of the bike/rider system. Primarily I was
wondering if the rider's position affects how efficiently (i.e. fewest losses) power can be
transferred from the rider to the bike, and secondarily was wondering if riding position affects the
rider's max power output. If his body is putting out the max it can generate and if the losses from
the rider to the bike can be reduced, then you have a gain in speed.

You seem to have answered the 2nd question, and maybe the first is too small an effect to
worry about.

<lots of other interesting stuff snipped...>

> The bottom line is that it doesn't make sense to compare Fast Freddy Markham in a fully-faired
> recumbent with an old fat guy whose max output is 200 watts on an upright MTB, just as it doesn't
> make sense to compare an old fat guy on a BikeE with Chris Boardman on a Lotus Superbike. Those
> are "real world" comparisons, but it just feeds the endless debate. A guy I occasionally ride with
> thrashes my butt, and he rides a red upright bike. I ride a black upright bike. Would you claim
> that red bikes are faster? The debate in this thread is equivalent to that. The thing to ask is
> what's the CdA with a standard-sized rider on each type of bike, and its total weight. From this
> you can figure out exactly under which conditions each will do better or worse.

In general, yes, but I'd still like to see results where a top amateur runs a racing recumbent in
a hilly race or in a hill climb. Pro's would be even better, but there probably aren't enough
recumbent pro's to make a valid comparison. Obviously, any single race doesn't mean much, since
individuals can have bad or good days, but after a few races, we should have the answer to the
"hills" question. From the posts I've seen here, we appear to already have the answer for flats
and tracks.

--
David Kerber An optimist says "Good morning, Lord." While a pessimist says "Good Lord,
it's morning".

Remove the ns_ from the address before e-mailing.

"Buck" wondered:
> "Robert Chung" wrote
>
> > power output goes up). Rider position doesn't affect bicycle efficiency
in
> > any meaningful way. Rider position does appear to influence power
> production
> > and my understanding is that thigh-torso angle is the biggest of
these --
> if
> > you're too cramped up you won't be able to breathe right. On the other
> hand,
> > simple rotations of the body so that you're supine rather than upright *given the same
> > thigh-torso angle* don't appear to have much effect, nor does having a thigh-torso angle larger
> > than, say, 90 degrees--your gut
> can't
> > really use anything wider than that. And I think we're talking about
>
> Finally! Someone to answer all the questions I kept posing to AA (who
never
> bothered to answer). Was the thigh-torso angle was measured as a maximum
or
> average? How did they measure the rotation of the body? I agree that there is an optimum
> thigh-torso angle but I question the body rotation. At the extreme, I doubt a person hanging
> upside down can produce the same power
as
> a person that is upright.

Since the thigh and torso are connected, if you take the saddle and the pedal as fixed points then
for a given crank length the minimum angle, the maximum angle, and the average angle are all going
to be related monotonically: if the maximum angle goes up, so too does the average and the minimum.
Individuals will differ in the angle they prefer, but if your knees are hitting your earlobes you're
probably not in an optimal position. The rotational stuff I got years ago from Mark Drela. He told
me that the cockpit of the Decavitator was essentially set up like his bicycle, rotated 90 degrees.
When I asked, he said that they found no significant difference in sustainable power output
depending on rotation. I never probed beyond this.

> The answers to these questions should make a difference in recumbent
design
> for two reasons. First, lowracers, in their effort to get as low and flat
as
> possible, may be opening the thigh-torso angle too much, resulting in a
loss
> in power.

I don't think will be much of a problem. One is limited in how far one can open the angle and
still pedal.

> But if this is overcome by aerodynamics, it is a moot point.

Well, this way my point about CdA to begin with. Though having the feet churning away in front
slightly mitigates the advantages of being supine, particularly if you've got huge waffles for feet.
This may be why unfaired recumbents don't have CdA's as low as some might think.

"Up in Harlem at a table for two There was four of us: Me, your big feet, and you."

> Here's a real-world report from todays invitational ride that we did. It was a 30 mile flat ride,
> with an optional 24 mile hilly loop after lunch. And some of the hills were brutal indeed. (The
> guy who laid out the route said his car had trouble climbing some of them.)
>
> On the flat route, there were many recumbents. Out of about 200 riders, I'd say I saw about 15 to
> 20 recumbents. For around here, that's a _lot_.
>
> On the optional hilly route? Zero. Zip. None. AFAIK, not one recumbent rider tried to take on
> the hills.
>
> Incidentally, there was one handicapped guy, with only one useable arm, who did do the hilly
> route, on an upright, of course. And at least one tandem couple. But no recumbents.

Frank, I posted this before in another thread, but you may not have noticed it. So I'll try again:
judging from you email address, I assume you work for an institution of higher learning. If so, I
propose the following test. Why not have a group of students (say 10 or so) go to the gym and pedal
both a recumbent and upright exercise bikes. Measure their max power output, plus the work (energy
output) they achieve over a given time for each style of bike. Also vary the resistance to include a
very high load (simulating a steep hill) for each type of bike. Have each rider repeat on both types
of bikes. Then note the average max power for each style and average energy output for each style.
With any luck, the exercise bikes will already have watt-meters on them. I myself would be very
interested in how much power one achieves with one style versus the other, and how much the average
energy output can be sustained over a given time for each style of bicycle. From these numbers one
should be able to predict the speed going up a hill for various inclines (factoring in the weight of
the average person, weight of the average bike of each type, air drag for each, rolling resistance,
etc.). I suspect if this is done properly, you will not see a 50% increase in speed going up a hill
as you have claimed in the past--in fact I would heavily bet you won't. I would wager that the
difference will be much much closer to 10% than 50%. So if you have the ability to do this at your
job, please try to prove me wrong--I truly would be interested in seeing the test results (even if
it doesn't support my prediction based on my observations and data point [which is me riding my DF
and recumbent bike]).

Both styles of bikes have advantages/disadvantages and it may be fun to argue the merits of each. My
objection is over the false claim that a DF is 50% to 100% (or more) faster uphill than a quality
recumbent. That is absolutely false to say anything like that in without some any qualifier. I ride
both types of bikes a lot and I say that without a doubt, under the normal mountainous roads I ride
the difference in speed between my bents (especially my short wheel based bent) versus my DF
roadbike is minor up a hill, with my DF roadbike having only a small advantage.

But statistics or unqualified statements can be misleading. For example, my MTB is normally slower
than all my bikes (even uphill)--unless I'm going up an incline so steep I need granny gear and all
the strength I have. My MTB has the lowest gearing of all my bikes, and therefore I can find a
extremely steep hill where it is the only bike with a low enough gearing to make it up the hill. So
without a qualifier, I can say my MTB is infinitely faster than my DF road bike up a hill. Is that
true? Only in an extreme case. Is it true for most conditions? Absolutely not, in fact it's usually
false. Likewise, is a DF road bike NORMALLY 50 to 100% faster up a hill than my SWB? Absolutely not.
Could you find a hill that it were true? Maybe, I haven't found a hill yet that my roadbike can
climb that my SWB bent can't, but maybe they exist. But if you want to look at extremes, I can buy
(or modify) a bent trike that has ridiculously low gearing where it is be the only HPV that could go
up a hill--it maybe climbing less than 1 mph, but with three wheels, no problem. So should I now
argue that a bent trike is the fastest up a hill? Of course not.

Back to more practical non-extreme conditions. I predict if you run a scientific (objective test),
you will find the general uphill speed performance improvement of a DF road bike over a recumbent
closer to what I find in my everyday experience (10% plus or minus a few). Try
it.

Brian

Ed Gin & Shirleen Kajiwara wrote:
>
> Well put Tom,
>
> The top finishers in the 1 hour TT averaged the spectacular 33 plus mph speeds on a road course
> and not a single one of them were pros or amateur (cat) racers. He apparantly doesn't get it.
>
> Ed Gin

and also, in another post:

> And elsewhere in this forum there has been several well documented "circuit 1 hour TT's or races
> where the winning and lead recumbents "averaged" in the 33 mph range for that duration.

I followed that thread, where you posted links to all of these 1 hour TT results. It was in response
to a specific question asking for data on truly unfaired bents compared to diamond-framed bikes.
Since you were so rude in your presentation then, and since you bring it up again and throw in
another derisive remark, I now post this.

I went to all of the web sites you posted. The class rules under which the races were run are
available, written in english, on the web. In the races the poorly-named "unfaired" class allowed
tail fairings. There were pictures of the winning bikes with tail fairings. There is a website which
described how the tail fairing on one bike was custom fit to the body of the rider to minimize
aerodynamic drag.

I think lowracers look like a lot of fun. I spent a lot of time on the web checking them out. I am
drawn to the toxy quantum because it looks cool, and useful on the street, right out of the box.
But, I still don't see evidence of a big speed benefit. Your attitude and methods in promoting bents
are terrible. When it turns out that the evidence you give to support your claims is misleading, and
accompanied by rude language, I get the impression you are willing to be intentionally misleading to
support your claims.

Stergios

Buck asked:
>How did they measure the rotation of the body?

Robert Replied:
> Since the thigh and torso are connected, if you take the saddle and the pedal as fixed points then
> for a given crank length the minimum angle, the maximum angle, and the average angle are all going
> to be related monotonically: if the maximum angle goes up, so too does the average and
the
> minimum. Individuals will differ in the angle they prefer, but if your
knees
> are hitting your earlobes you're probably not in an optimal position.

The reason I asked about how it was measured is to understand which was the preferred method. I
understand that for a given set of crank and seat locations the range of motion will be fixed. The
question becomes how the torso is located and measured. For a given frame with a specific seat
height, the thigh-torso angle will change with different stems and handlebars. For a recumbent, it
will change with seat position. You stated that a thigh-torso angle of greater than 90° isn't
optimal, but is that a measurement of the maximum, minimum or average? There will be a big
difference between in final position depending on what you meant!

Buck also wrote:
> I agree that there
> > is an optimum thigh-torso angle but I question the body rotation. At the extreme, I doubt a
> > person hanging upside down can produce the same power
> as
> > a person that is upright.

Robert Replied:
>The rotational stuff I got years ago from Mark Drela. He told me that the cockpit of the
>Decavitator was essentially set up like his bicycle,
rotated
> 90 degrees. When I asked, he said that they found no significant
difference
> in sustainable power output depending on rotation. I never probed beyond this.

Ah, just hearsay. Any lines on a paper that might probe this further?

Buck stated:
> > The answers to these questions should make a difference in recumbent
> design
> > for two reasons. First, lowracers, in their effort to get as low and
flat
> as
> > possible, may be opening the thigh-torso angle too much, resulting in a
> loss
> > in power.

Robert suggested:
> I don't think will be much of a problem. One is limited in how far one can open the angle and
> still pedal.

This is why I am asking. It seems lowracer design is all about getting low and aerodynamic. Are they
not compromising their maximum output by being too flat?

Buck wrote:
> > But if this is overcome by aerodynamics, it is a moot point.

Robert replied:
> Well, this way my point about CdA to begin with. Though having the feet churning away in front
> slightly mitigates the advantages of being supine, particularly if you've got huge waffles for
> feet. This may be why unfaired recumbents don't have CdA's as low as some might think.

I hope I understood this correctly. Having the feet churning away in front lowers the aerodynamic
advantages of being supine? How bad is the effect?

I'm trying to understand the balace between aerodynamics, overall power output, and power output
when climbing. I wonder if the aerodynamic advantages of being low are being offset by a loss in
overall power because of the thigh-torso angle.

-Buck

"Buck"
> You stated that a thigh-torso angle of greater than 90° isn't optimal, but is that a measurement
> of the maximum, minimum or average? There will be a big difference between in final position
> depending on what you meant!

If I did, I didn't mean to. What I meant was that thigh-torso angles that were too *acute* impeded
breathing ability. You don't want that angle to be too small. That angle will differ from individual
to individual--in my case, I don't have any trouble breathing when the minimum angle between my
thighs and my torso is less than 30 degrees, but this isn't quite enough for me to get my back flat
and my shoulders in a horizontal line with my hips, dammit. Lowracer bents probably don't have to
worry about this, but never having ridden one I'm not completely sure. On the other hand, once you
get beyond 90 degrees or so, there's no additional improvement. That's why you can breathe easily
while sitting in a chair with your thighs at 90 degrees to your torso, and you don't have to stand
up to breathe better.

> Robert Replied:
> >The rotational stuff I got years ago from Mark Drela. He told me that the cockpit of the
> >Decavitator was essentially set up like his bicycle,
> rotated
> > 90 degrees. When I asked, he said that they found no significant
> difference
> > in sustainable power output depending on rotation. I never probed beyond this.
>
> Ah, just hearsay. Any lines on a paper that might probe this further?

Check with Drela. Since he worked on the Daedalus, and won the DuPont prize in the Decavitator, he
had a big incentive to know.

> This is why I am asking. It seems lowracer design is all about getting low and aerodynamic. Are
> they not compromising their maximum output by being
too
> flat?

Not to be snide...wait, that should be: not to be *too* snide, but lowracer design appears to be
all about getting low, period. I'm sure they're compromising maximum output, but max output isn't
all that important. At max output, Cipollini puts out more watts than my wife's hairdryer, but his
sprints rarely last more than a few seconds. Since you can't get up on a bent, max output is a
red-herring. What you want to know is if sustainable output varies with position. Leg extensors are
leg extensors, leg flexors are leg flexors, and what's happening with your torso doesn't much
affect them.

Having said that, one of the potential problems is cooling. When you're putting out 250 or 260 watts
(like me) or 400 or 420 watts (like Lance Armstrong) you've got to get rid of a bunch of heat or
you'll cook (or rather, you'll slow down). If you're *too* aero, I suppose you might lose convective
cooling. I'm told it can get pretty hot in a fully-faired recumbent. I have no idea how important
this is to a lowracer.

> Robert replied:
> > Well, this way my point about CdA to begin with. Though having the feet churning away in front
> > slightly mitigates the advantages of being
supine,
> > particularly if you've got huge waffles for feet. This may be why
unfaired
> > recumbents don't have CdA's as low as some might think.
>
> I hope I understood this correctly. Having the feet churning away in front lowers the aerodynamic
> advantages of being supine? How bad is the effect?

Unfaired recumbents appear to have a lower A than uprights, but their CdA is roughly in the same
ballpark. Therefore, Cd must be higher. If you can shrink A more than Cd goes up (I guess this is
the hope of a lowracer) then you net out to the good. This is an empirical question, not a
theoretical one. I'm sure some lowracer designs are better at this than others. BTW, you may know
that Cd is usually gotten by measuring the drag force, calculating A from photographs, then dividing
to get Cd. I mention this to emphasize that aerodynamics is mostly an empirical thing, not a
theoretical thing.

> I'm trying to understand the balace between aerodynamics, overall power output, and power output
> when climbing.

If what you mean is how does power output, aerodynamics, total mass, and gra dient influence
climbing speed, that's well-understood. Or are you asking if there's something magic about gradients
that changes the body's ability to produce power?

Frank Krygowski <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> David Kerber wrote:
> >
> > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says... I'd
> > still like to see a similar race on a hilly course or a tough climb like the Mt. Washington hill
> > climb.
> >
>
> I agree. I asked for that a _long_ time ago. Never got a reply!

These grudge matches have gone on many times in the past. A well made recumbent with a good rider
always wins on the flats and rolling hills. The only final conclusion would be a hillclimb between
bent and traditional. Bent racers need to show how well they can climb hills by racing in these
hillclimbing only events.

Buck wrote:
> > I'm trying to understand the balace between aerodynamics, overall power output, and power output
> > when climbing.

Robert rplied:
> If what you mean is how does power output, aerodynamics, total mass, and
gra
> dient influence climbing speed, that's well-understood. Or are you asking
if
> there's something magic about gradients that changes the body's ability to produce power?

I'm just thinking about 'bent design. I'm sure there is some "best" compromise between aerodynamics,
best body position for power output (both continuous and maximum), and best body position when
climbing. I separate the last two because I think that the supination (right word?) of the 'bent on
level ground makes a big difference when climbing because it may elevate the feet and legs above the
head on climbs. AA suggested that the lower BB was better for climbing, but couldn't explain why. He
didn't even explain whether that was holding the rest of the body in the same position or if this
was an observation of other 'bents he has ridden that may not have had the same body position.

It seems that the lowracers are going to the extreme in body position, but I wonder if the
aerodynamic gains outweigh the power losses due to non-optimal position in terms of thigh-torso
angle (very obtuse) and inverted position when climbing. For diamond frames, the best position seems
to be one of minimizing thigh-torso angle. I figured this was mostly due to aerodynamics, but now I
wonder how the thigh-torso angle comes into play. Is the "superman" position better because of
aerodynamics or because it opens the thigh-torso angle up enough to improve breathing compared to a
standard aero position?

-Buck

In article <[email protected]>, "Buck" <j u n k m a i l @ g a l a x y c
o r p . c o m> says...

> This is why I am asking. It seems lowracer design is all about getting low and aerodynamic. Are
> they not compromising their maximum output by being too flat?
>
> Buck wrote:
> > > But if this is overcome by aerodynamics, it is a moot point.
>
>
> Robert replied:
> > Well, this way my point about CdA to begin with. Though having the feet churning away in front
> > slightly mitigates the advantages of being supine, particularly if you've got huge waffles for
> > feet. This may be why unfaired recumbents don't have CdA's as low as some might think.
>
> I hope I understood this correctly. Having the feet churning away in front lowers the aerodynamic
> advantages of being supine? How bad is the effect?

I think what he's pointing out is that the flat soles of your feet are leading, which would be less
than aerodynamic, though the advantages of having the rest of the body in line would likely more
than counteract
it. ISTM that a head-first position would be the most aero, but obviously impractical if you have
to see where you're going and have a normal neck <GGG>.

>
> I'm trying to understand the balace between aerodynamics, overall power output, and power output
> when climbing. I wonder if the aerodynamic advantages of being low are being offset by a loss in
> overall power because of the thigh-torso angle.

That's what I'm trying to get at as well, when I ask one of the 'bent riders to show up at one of
the big hill climb events.

--
Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

REAL programmers write self-modifying code.

> Frank Krygowski <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > David Kerber wrote:
> > >
> > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says... I'd
> > > still like to see a similar race on a hilly course or a tough climb like the Mt. Washington
> > > hill climb.
> > >
> >
> > I agree. I asked for that a _long_ time ago. Never got a reply!
>
> These grudge matches have gone on many times in the past. A well made recumbent with a good rider
> always wins on the flats and rolling hills. The only final conclusion would be a hillclimb between
> bent and traditional. Bent racers need to show how well they can climb hills by racing in these
> hillclimbing only events.

That's my conclusion as well, though a hilly course (more than "rolling") might be interesting as
well; something like the 5-passes ride in CA.

--
Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

REAL programmers write self-modifying code.

Robert Chung wrote:
> ...I don't think any of the tested bikes were lowracers. In any event, I'm not sure why putting a
> rider closer to the ground would affect CdA. If you took exactly the same bike and held it up on a
> stick in the air, do you think the CdA would change?...

A lowracer will have the advantage over a taller recumbent of having more of the wheels and
drivetrain in the rider's "wind shadow".

More significantly in real world conditions, is that wind speed decreases increases significantly
with distance from the ground due to viscous drag. On a loop ride, this will provide a significant
advantage to the lowracer rider compared to riders on taller bikes, since of course more time is
spent riding into headwinds than tailwinds.

... A guy I occasionally ride with thrashes my butt, and he rides a red
> upright bike. I ride a black upright bike. Would you claim that red bikes are faster?...

Everyone knows that all else being equal, red bikes are faster. ;)

Tom Sherman - Red Lowracer Owner :) Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

"Buck" wrote
> It seems that the lowracers are going to the extreme in body position, but
I
> wonder if the aerodynamic gains outweigh the power losses due to
non-optimal
> position in terms of thigh-torso angle (very obtuse) and inverted position when climbing. For
> diamond frames, the best position seems to be one of minimizing thigh-torso angle. I figured this
> was mostly due to
aerodynamics,
> but now I wonder how the thigh-torso angle comes into play. Is the "superman" position better
> because of aerodynamics or because it opens the thigh-torso angle up enough to improve breathing
> compared to a standard
aero
> position?

I'm saying that a very obtuse thigh-torso angle isn't bad at all: I'm saying that a very very acute
thigh-torso angle is. On an upright, you minimize CdA by getting your back flat and your shoulders
in a horizontal line with your hips -- however, for some people (including me, sadly) this position
is hard to produce high power with, let alone being able to see down the road where I'm going. I'm
not a triathlete, but I believe the reason why they move their saddles forward (relative to the BB)
is to save their quads for the running leg, not particularly because it opens up the thigh-torso
angle (though this is a side-effect). The Obree Superman position was for aero purposes. BTW, I
think Boardman's UCI hour record is going to be hard to beat, in part because no road racer
practices that particular (conventional) position anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.