Proper Bottom Bracket for Deore LX Crank, and 9-speed questions

Greg-O

Aug 24, 2003
I just got a shiny new deore LX crankset for christmas. It's awesome. Very light.

But....... I have a square taper bottom bracket (****!). I wanna buy a new BB to match my deore LX, and performancebike.com seems to have the best prices. I found one that goes with the Deore LX, but then at the bottom of the page i have to choose a certain size or something. There is a small drop down menu that has 4 different choices. All of them are just numbers. Could anyone help me out to tell me what these mean, and how to pick the best one for my bike and crank? Also, my crank has a "mega 9" sticker on it. Does this mean I cannot run it with an 8-speed cassette? Maybe I could just buy a 9-speed cassette and set the derailleur up so it doesn't use the smallest cog. Then, buy 9-speed shifters. Please find time to answer these questions.

anyways, here's the page about the bottom bracket:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=6288

thanks in advance

The correct type of bottom bracket will be determined by your frame type so your best option is to get a bike shop to tell you which one you need.

as for the 8/9 speed thing

the 9 speed chain rings are narrower than the 8 speed stuff but that shouldn't cause you too many problems, it might increase chain/chain ring wear though. Again your bike shop can probably help you out

Originally posted by Duckwah
The correct type of bottom bracket will be determined by your frame type so your best option is to get a bike shop to tell you which one you need.

as for the 8/9 speed thing

the 9 speed chain rings are narrower than the 8 speed stuff but that shouldn't cause you too many problems, it might increase chain/chain ring wear though. Again your bike shop can probably help you out
The rings are really not narrower, and running a 8 speed chains on them hurts nothing.A nine speed chain could also be used with an otherwise 8 speed system.

Originally posted by Greg-O
I just got a shiny new deore LX crankset for christmas. It's awesome. Very light.

But....... I have a square taper bottom bracket (****!). I wanna buy a new BB to match my deore LX, and performancebike.com seems to have the best prices. I found one that goes with the Deore LX, but then at the bottom of the page i have to choose a certain size or something. There is a small drop down menu that has 4 different choices. All of them are just numbers. Could anyone help me out to tell me what these mean, and how to pick the best one for my bike and crank? Also, my crank has a "mega 9" sticker on it. Does this mean I cannot run it with an 8-speed cassette? Maybe I could just buy a 9-speed cassette and set the derailleur up so it doesn't use the smallest cog. Then, buy 9-speed shifters. Please find time to answer these questions.

anyways, here's the page about the bottom bracket:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=6288 There are 2 numbers for MTB BBs the shell width on the frame has to be measured, and will be either 68 or 73m. Spindle length will be 113 or 118mm and the longer one is used on frames with larger diameter seattubes. You can make you bike 9 speed with shifters cassette and chain. You can run the crank with either an 8 or 9 speed chain.

thanks in advance

thanks a ton guys. I will probably run the 9 speed chain on it. That way, the crank will not wear, and when the casette wears down i can buy a 9 speed. I will ask my lbs about the BB. thanks a ton :D

Originally posted by Greg-O
...... and when the casette wears down i can buy a 9 speed.
Yeah,right.And, don't forget the 9 speed shifters to go with it.

Originally posted by boudreaux
Yeah,right.And, don't forget the 9 speed shifters to go with it.

yes. and the 9-speed rear derailleur

*sigh* i need a job