Proper Chain Length

Sir Ride-A-Lot

Guest
I've read two conflicting directions.

1. Wrap chain around largest cog and largest ring. Do not put through the derailleur. Where they
meet is the length.

2. Same as above but put through the derailleur and add one inch.

Which one is right?

"Sir Ride-A-Lot" <Sir.Ride-a-Lot> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've read two conflicting directions.
>
> 1. Wrap chain around largest cog and largest ring. Do not put through
the
> derailleur. Where they meet is the length.

Add two links. This worked for me.

In article <[email protected]>, "Sir Ride-A-Lot" <Sir.Ride-a-Lot> says...
> I've read two conflicting directions.
>
> 1. Wrap chain around largest cog and largest ring. Do not put through the derailleur. Where they
> meet is the length.
>
> 2. Same as above but put through the derailleur and add one inch.
>
> Which one is right?

Well the first one can't be right the way you wrote it. Do number one and add one inch maybe but the
way I always do it is put it in the smallest ring and smallest cog, through the derailleur and make
it short enough that the chain does not come into contact with itself or the tab on the pulley cage.
Since I run a short cage derailleur I can not shift into large/large without breaking something.
--
_________________________

Sir Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> I've read two conflicting directions.
>
> 1. Wrap chain around largest cog and largest ring. Do not put through the derailleur. Where they
> meet is the length.
>
> 2. Same as above but put through the derailleur and add one inch.
>
> Which one is right?

Neither.

Bill "HTH" S.

PS: My understanding is to do #1 {insert Baker Joke here} and add a link, but I've always just used
previous chain as guide.

Chapter 26 http://www.d.umn.edu/~bjer0078/bike/manual/
--
Slacker

Sir Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> I've read two conflicting directions.
>
> 1. Wrap chain around largest cog and largest ring. Do not put through the derailleur. Where they
> meet is the length.
>
> 2. Same as above but put through the derailleur and add one inch.
>
> Which one is right?

This URL is worth adding to your favorites also.
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQchainlength.shtml
--
Perre

Per Elmsäter wrote:
> Sir Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>> I've read two conflicting directions.
>>
>> 1. Wrap chain around largest cog and largest ring. Do not put through the derailleur. Where they
>> meet is the length.
>>
>> 2. Same as above but put through the derailleur and add one inch.
>>
>> Which one is right?
>

> This URL is worth adding to your favorites also.
> http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQchainlength.shtml

Thanks to all for your help. I was able to get the correct chain length. In fact, I have to pat
myself on the back for getting it right the first time. Now all I have to do is adjust the
derailleur. Actually the hanger is slightly bent so if I correct that I think all will be fine.

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/DAG.shtml
--
Perre

If the bike had a chain that worked fine. But was worn or what ever the need to replace it use that
as a base. Or if the bike never had a chain put it on the biggest ring and biggest clog and though
the derailleur. Making sure the derailleur doesn't angle to foward. If you add a larger chain ring
you need to add the right amount off links to make up for the larger ring. Your have to add or take
out links till it shifts just right

Fire up MTB 03

Per Elmsäter wrote:
> Sir Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>> Per Elmsäter wrote:

>>> This URL is worth adding to your favorites also.
>>> http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQchainlength.shtml
>>
>> Thanks to all for your help. I was able to get the correct chain length. In fact, I have to pat
>> myself on the back for getting it right the first time. Now all I have to do is adjust the
>> derailleur. Actually the hanger is slightly bent so if I correct that I think all will be fine.
>
> http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/DAG.shtml

Yikes! That's some contraption they got there. I used my favorite tool (ok, 2nd favorite) last night
and my eyes. Vise Grips are wonderful!

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> Per Elmsäter wrote:
>> Sir Ride-A-Lot wrote:

>>> Thanks to all for your help. I was able to get the correct chain length. In fact, I have to pat
>>> myself on the back for getting it right the first time. Now all I have to do is adjust the
>>> derailleur. Actually the hanger is slightly bent so if I correct that I think all will be fine.
>>
>> http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/DAG.shtml
>
> Yikes! That's some contraption they got there. I used my favorite tool (ok, 2nd favorite) last
> night and my eyes. Vise Grips are wonderful!

You'll probably be fine but a lot of experts advice against using anything but the proper tool. I'm
not an expert just repeating what I've read. I believe Sheldon Brown discusses this if you ever get
the time to check it out.

--
Perre