Proper cleats for Shimano 747's?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Greg, Jun 25, 2003.

  1. Greg

    Greg Guest

    I'm currently using cleats( came with my shoes) w/my 747's that are stamped "97A" (could be 87A;
    it's not real clear) on the cleat. I'm sure they're Shimano cleats, but I'm not sure if these are
    the best ones for the pedals as they really don't feel right after repeated attempts to get the
    release tension just right. It's been a while since I had Shimano pedals, and I really don't
    remember the what the correct cleat is. Any help would be appreciated. TIA, Greg

    Tags:

  2. Jamie

    Jamie Guest

    Some thing like 51/52 are the right number on the cleats . You could have some after market
    cleats.They just don't work as good as Shimano cleats. Good luck .

    --
    J/O Trailblazer At large !!

  3. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Greg" <[email protected]charter.net> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm currently using cleats( came with my shoes) w/my 747's that are
    stamped
    > "97A" (could be 87A; it's not real clear) on the cleat. I'm sure they're Shimano cleats, but I'm
    > not sure if these are the best ones for the pedals as they really don't feel right after repeated
    > attempts to get the release tension just right. It's been a while since I had Shimano pedals, and
    > I really don't remember the what the correct cleat is. Any help would be appreciated. TIA, Greg

    The 51 cleat is the right one to use.

    Mike

  4. Greg wrote:

    > I'm currently using cleats( came with my shoes) w/my 747's that are stamped "97A" (could be 87A;
    > it's not real clear) on the cleat. I'm sure they're Shimano cleats, but I'm not sure if these are
    > the best ones for the pedals as they really don't feel right after repeated attempts to get the
    > release tension just right. It's been a while since I had Shimano pedals, and I really don't
    > remember the what the correct cleat is. Any help would be appreciated. TIA, Greg

    I think those are Wellgo cleats (definitely not Shimano) and they will not work properly with
    Shimano pedals. The correct cleat is Shimano SM-SH51

    Cheers jom

  5. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "Greg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm currently using cleats( came with my shoes) w/my 747's that are stamped "97A" (could be 87A;
    > it's not real clear) on the cleat. I'm sure they're Shimano cleats, but I'm not sure if these are
    > the best ones for the pedals as they really don't feel right after repeated attempts to get the
    > release tension just right. It's been a while since I had Shimano pedals, and I really don't
    > remember the what the correct cleat is. Any help would be appreciated. TIA,

    Those sound like Wellgo cleats, which are SPD clones with varying compatibility. Real Shimano SPD
    cleats come in 2 flavors, "single-release" (black) and "multi-release" (silver), preference is a
    personal thing. If you don't know which you want, get m-r if you worry about not being able to
    release, s-r if you worry about pullouts. M-r cleats will release with a twist (like s-r) or a
    "roll" of the foot.