Proper Dura Ace 7700 bearing grease?

RS

Guest
I took apart a rear hub DA7700 to clean and regrease (first time) and
noticed the grease is sort of a honey colored lighter grease from the
factory. Is a heavier grease such as Phil's or the Park 1000 the way to
go? And is it a good idea to replace the bearings?

Thanks, Rick

On 2007-05-02, RS <[email protected]> wrote:
> I took apart a rear hub DA7700 to clean and regrease (first time) and
> noticed the grease is sort of a honey colored lighter grease from the
> factory. Is a heavier grease such as Phil's or the Park 1000 the way to
> go? And is it a good idea to replace the bearings?
>
> Thanks, Rick

Any good quality HTB grease will do for bicycle bearings
(unless you're the type who likes to boast about how much
their grease costs!)

I can't comment on the bearings though without seeing them,
but they're probably OK. It's a good idea to keep the bearings
from each side seperated if you're going te reuse them.

Cheers

Joel

--
Human Powered Cycles | High quality servicing
[email protected] | Low cost 2nd hand bikes

On May 1, 10:15 pm, RS <[email protected]> wrote:
> I took apart a rear hub DA7700 to clean and regrease (first time) and
> noticed the grease is sort of a honey colored lighter grease from the
> factory. Is a heavier grease such as Phil's or the Park 1000 the way to
> go? And is it a good idea to replace the bearings?

Aside from being careful not to overload the bearings, you can use any
high quality grease.

Sometimes I wonder about that stuff that Shimano uses but they aren't
stupid so I suppose their grease meets their high standards.

I've recently discovered Pedro's grease and I really like it. Of
course I haven't been able to see how it performs over long time
periods but it is the first grease I've used in which I could tell the
difference from the feel.

On Tue, 01 May 2007 22:15:05 -0700, RS <[email protected]> wrote:

>I took apart a rear hub DA7700 to clean and regrease (first time) and
>noticed the grease is sort of a honey colored lighter grease from the
>factory. Is a heavier grease such as Phil's or the Park 1000 the way to
>go? And is it a good idea to replace the bearings?

FWIW, I always replace all the bearing balls every time I have a hub,
bottom bracket, or headset apart. I buy the balls at a bearing
specialty shop (NOT a bike shop) so they're pretty cheap.

Also, pretty much any bearing grease will do. I buy mine at the local
auto parts store in tubs that last for years. Right now I'm using
Mobil-1 Synthetic Grease. A one pound tub costs pretty much the same
as a little tube of boutique bicycle grease.

--
jeverett3<AT>sbcglobal<DOT>net (John V. Everett)

"Joel Mayes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2007-05-02, RS <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I took apart a rear hub DA7700 to clean and regrease (first time) and
>> noticed the grease is sort of a honey colored lighter grease from the
>> factory. Is a heavier grease such as Phil's or the Park 1000 the way to
>> go? And is it a good idea to replace the bearings?
>>
>> Thanks, Rick
>>

> Any good quality HTB grease will do for bicycle bearings
> (unless you're the type who likes to boast about how much
> their grease costs!)

Agree.
> I can't comment on the bearings though without seeing them,
> but they're probably OK. It's a good idea to keep the bearings
> from each side seperated if you're going te reuse them.

For bearings, replace with GRADE 25 ball bearings, you'll need about 18 of
them (9 on each side). Its similar quality to what is used by Campy and
found in your DA rear hub, and you can get them for like $0.05 or .10 each
at any LBS!

What size are the DA7700 ? Thanks!

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

On May 2, 8:46 am, RS <[email protected]> wrote:
> What size are the DA7700 ? Thanks!

The DA 7700 rear hub uses 18 1/4" size ball bearings or 9 on each
side. ANY LBS should have it. Remember, you want GRADE 25 bb. Good
Luck!

When greasing the rear hubs you shouldn't use too much grease on the
freehub side or it will get up into the ratchet pawls and can cause
them to hang up. Also, a medium weight grease will have less tendency
to hang up the pawls as opposed to a heavy duty grease like the
popular marine grease if you do use too much.