Proper Mounting Technique with Coaster-Brake Bike?

steadicat

Guest
What is the proper mounting/dismounting technique when using a bike
with a coaster brake?

I recently learned the technique suggested by Sheldon Brown (
http://sheldonbrown.com/starting.html ) for mounting and dismounting,
but now I'm in a country where coaster brakes are popular and I'm
finding it almost impossible to easily and elegantly stop and start.

I usually put my weight on the right pedal at its lowest point while I
step off the saddle and put my left foot on the ground. After this, I
can't raise my right pedal to the position required to start again, so
I'm forced to use the "shuffle mount" (pushing with the left foot while
standing on the right pedal).

Suggestions?

Also, I realized that when faced with a bump or an obstacle I have the
tendency to move my weight off the saddle and on both pedals (while
keeping them in a horizontal position). However, with a coaster brake,
this often results in a sudden and unexpected braking, which, combined
with the oncoming obstacle, might lead to a very dangerous or awkward
situation. Do I have very poor technique or are coaster brakes not
suited for more "advanced" bike use?

Thanks,
Stefano J. Attardi

steadicat wrote:
> What is the proper mounting/dismounting technique when using a bike
> with a coaster brake?
>
> I recently learned the technique suggested by Sheldon Brown (
> http://sheldonbrown.com/starting.html ) for mounting and dismounting,
> but now I'm in a country where coaster brakes are popular and I'm
> finding it almost impossible to easily and elegantly stop and start.
>

> Suggestions?

Put your foot on the right pedal, then push off on the ground with the
left like a scooter, then start pedaling. It's not difficult. :p

landotter wrote:
> steadicat wrote:
> > What is the proper mounting/dismounting technique when using a bike
> > with a coaster brake?
> >
> > I recently learned the technique suggested by Sheldon Brown (
> > http://sheldonbrown.com/starting.html ) for mounting and dismounting,
> > but now I'm in a country where coaster brakes are popular and I'm
> > finding it almost impossible to easily and elegantly stop and start.
> >

> > Suggestions?
> >

> Put your foot on the right pedal, then push off on the ground with the
> left like a scooter, then start pedaling. It's not difficult. :p

No no, totally wrong. Put your foot on the left pedel and push off the
ground. ( Anyone for a refight of the little-endian big endian
conflict? :)

John Kane Kingston ON Canada

John Kane wrote:
> landotter wrote:
>> steadicat wrote:
>>> What is the proper mounting/dismounting technique when using a bike
>>> with a coaster brake?
>>>
>>> I recently learned the technique suggested by Sheldon Brown (
>>> http://sheldonbrown.com/starting.html ) for mounting and dismounting,
>>> but now I'm in a country where coaster brakes are popular and I'm
>>> finding it almost impossible to easily and elegantly stop and start.
>>>

>>> Suggestions?
>>>

>> Put your foot on the right pedal, then push off on the ground with the
>> left like a scooter, then start pedaling. It's not difficult. :p

> No no, totally wrong. Put your foot on the left pedel and push off the
> ground. ( Anyone for a refight of the little-endian big endian
> conflict? :)
>
> John Kane Kingston ON Canada

You want to push off on the same side as your kick stand, usually left.

"Every day is Saturday when you're retired."

Bob Burns
Mill Hall PA
(email is a spamtrap)

John Kane wrote:
> landotter wrote:
> > steadicat wrote:
> > > What is the proper mounting/dismounting technique when using a bike
> > > with a coaster brake?
> > >
> > > I recently learned the technique suggested by Sheldon Brown (
> > > http://sheldonbrown.com/starting.html ) for mounting and dismounting,
> > > but now I'm in a country where coaster brakes are popular and I'm
> > > finding it almost impossible to easily and elegantly stop and start.
> > >

> > > Suggestions?
> > >

> > Put your foot on the right pedal, then push off on the ground with the
> > left like a scooter, then start pedaling. It's not difficult. :p

> No no, totally wrong. Put your foot on the left pedel and push off the
> ground. ( Anyone for a refight of the little-endian big endian
> conflict? :)

[sigh] That's only in the UK, Japan, and Barbados. ;^)

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 13:28:29 -0700, steadicat wrote:

> I usually put my weight on the right pedal at its lowest point while I
> step off the saddle and put my left foot on the ground. After this, I
> can't raise my right pedal to the position required to start again, so I'm
> forced to use the "shuffle mount" (pushing with the left foot while
> standing on the right pedal).

Use the back brake while you're stopping, with your right foot forward and
your left foot pushing down. If your left foot is a bit lower than the
right you'll leave the right pedal in the position you want for starting.
There is enough time after stopping to take your left foot off the
pedal and put it on the ground, and with the front brake still applied
your right foot will support you. I wouldn't try this with toe-clips or
clipless pedals, but I don't suppose that they are likely to be fitted to
a bike with a back-pedal brake.

> Do I have very poor technique or are coaster brakes not
> suited for more "advanced" bike use?

My coaster brake bike has full suspension, so bumps are not a problem, but
I think you're going to have to learn to stay on the saddle with that
particular bike.

Mike

Bob Burns wrote:
> John Kane wrote:
> > landotter wrote:

> >> Put your foot on the right pedal, then push off on the ground with the
> >> left like a scooter, then start pedaling. It's not difficult. :p

> > No no, totally wrong. Put your foot on the left pedel and push off the
> > ground. ( Anyone for a refight of the little-endian big endian
> > conflict? :)
> >
> > John Kane Kingston ON Canada
> >

> You want to push off on the same side as your kick stand, usually left.

And I thought my reponse was weird :)

On 17 Aug 2006 13:28:29 -0700, "steadicat" <[email protected]> wrote:

>What is the proper mounting/dismounting technique when using a bike
>with a coaster brake?

The one that works for you.

I don't have any bikes with coaster brakes anymore, but my
recollection is that I mounted from the left. I used to roll the bike
forward until the left pedal was rearward, swing my leg over, put my
right foot on the pedal, and then push off with the left while
starting to pedal with the right.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.