Proper Pedaling Technique

mhraxo

Feb 5, 2006
Whats the proper pedaling technique?, I recently changed from SPD-R to SL pedals and started getting calf cramps bad, long story short i hate the SPD-SL's anyways and put speed plays on. What im wondering though is with the SPD-R's my cleat was behind the ball of my foot with the SL and Speed PLays it feels like its just in front of the ball and my cleats the whole way back. I thought this was my cramping problem cuz it kinda feels like im doing a calf raise the whole time but someone was telling me my pedaling technique is my problem, i heard about the "wiping mud off your feet" theory but i thought this was just at the bottom of the stroke?, now im being told that on the down stroke my heel should be leading the way as if i were wiping mud off my foot on a wall, this true?

mhraxo said:
Whats the proper pedaling technique?, I recently changed from SPD-R to SL pedals and started getting calf cramps bad, long story short i hate the SPD-SL's anyways and put speed plays on. What im wondering though is with the SPD-R's my cleat was behind the ball of my foot with the SL and Speed PLays it feels like its just in front of the ball and my cleats the whole way back. I thought this was my cramping problem cuz it kinda feels like im doing a calf raise the whole time but someone was telling me my pedaling technique is my problem, i heard about the "wiping mud off your feet" theory but i thought this was just at the bottom of the stroke?, now im being told that on the down stroke my heel should be leading the way as if i were wiping mud off my foot on a wall, this true?

Just push down forget the hype. Pedal the way it feels best for you.