Proper Sentencing

Tony Raven wrote:
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3024304.stm
>
> "A Texan woman who hit a pedestrian and left him to die stuck in the windscreen of her car has
> been jailed for 50 years."
>
> Tony

OTOH it's rather disagreeable to read the Public Prosecutor argued:

"She stole his life. She stole his hope of anyone else saving his life. That's murder".

Theft and murder are not the same. Both are acts that are well defined by statute and case law and
to suggest that murder is theft reduces the gravity of the offence.

Are property related references are the only way of convincing a Texan jury of the seriousness of an
offence? Texas has one of the highest rates of execution from memory, why wasn't it levied in this
case? Gender?

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 08:15:41 +0100, "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote:

>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3024304.stm
>
>"A Texan woman who hit a pedestrian and left him to die stuck in the windscreen of her car has been
>jailed for 50 years."

I've been told by a girlfriend in California on a few occasions - "if

I forget the statisics now but Texas executes more people than any other state. It's interesting
reading (if you're into taht kind of thing!). OK, finding them here:

http://www.amnestyusa.org/abolish/retentionist-state.html

Not making any point here, just remember the 'Texas factor'. Maybe they have something, search me.

Dubya country afterall :)

Garry

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 08:15:41 +0100, "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"A Texan woman who hit a pedestrian and left him to die stuck in the windscreen of her car has been
>jailed for 50 years."

Read alt.obituaries for a lot more on this.

Rather than "evil driver killed ped" it seems to be as much a case of "driver is too stoned to even
know what day it was"

>Are property related references are the only way of convincing a Texan jury of the seriousness of
>an offence? Texas has one of the highest rates of execution from memory, why wasn't it levied in
>this case? Gender?

Dont care... One less state murder in Texas is cause for celebration. As is locking this little
******* up for a very long time.

Richard Webb

Tony Raven wrote:
> In news:[email protected], Andy Dingley <[email protected]> typed:
>
>>Read alt.obituaries for a lot more on this.
>>

> OK, so what is the most obscure other newsgroup subscribed to by urc members?

I suppose it depends exactly how you interpret obscure. If you mean least likely in combination with
URC, then I would admit to uk.rec.cars.kit-car. If you mean least traffic (sorry) type obscure, then
uk.local.herefordshire. Neither of these are an alt syle newsgroup
- for me that would include alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent (not really considered obscure here, I
suppose) and alt.horology.

OK, alt.horology, final answer. So obscure that the spammer who posted horoscopes to it probably
didn't know the mistake he was making.

If I was going to deliberately subscribe to something obscure, it would be z-netz.alt.obskur.

--
Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

Aye!.

RJ Webb wrote:
> Dont care... One less state murder in Texas is cause for celebration. As is locking this little
> ******* up for a very long time.
>
> Richard Webb

You miss my point, namely:

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 14:32:12 +0100, Jim Price <[email protected]> wrote:

>OK, alt.horology, final answer. So obscure that the spammer who posted horoscopes to it probably
>didn't know the mistake he was making.

And did you clean his clock?

Guy
===

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 14:32:12 +0100, Jim Price <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>OK, alt.horology, final answer. So obscure that the spammer who posted horoscopes to it probably
>>didn't know the mistake he was making.
>

> And did you clean his clock?

Fortunately he went away before any remedial treatment could be adminstered. Also, the clock thing
seems obscure in comparison to watches on many online horological discussion boards.

--
Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

Aye!.

In message id <[email protected]> on Sat, 28 Jun 2003
07:31:39 +0000 (UTC), Peter B wrote in uk.rec.cycling :

>"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3024304.stm
>>
>> "A Texan woman who hit a pedestrian and left him to die stuck in the windscreen of her car has
>> been jailed for 50 years."
>
>Presumably as the woman lacks goolies, for the removal of, a long custodial sentence is the
>only option.
>
>Pete

This could be a second offence. ;-)

--
I don't do arguments, read the reply properly to get the context. Kind regards. If you want to take
it to email remove THE SPAM BLOKA

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 14:32:12 +0100, Jim Price <[email protected]> wrote:

>OK, alt.horology, final answer. So obscure that the spammer who posted horoscopes to it probably
>didn't know the mistake he was making.

Maybe the spammer's horoscope told him to throw away his dictionary.

>If I was going to deliberately subscribe to something obscure, it would be z-netz.alt.obskur.

Probably alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird in my case. And then there's ntl.feedback.general (the
world and his dog but never NTL write here). And finally, there's always urc!

Occasionally - just very occasionally - I do "subscribe" to some very obscure NGs for a day or two
just for the hell of it.

James

James Hodson wrote:
>>If I was going to deliberately subscribe to something obscure, it would be z-netz.alt.obskur.
>
> Probably alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird in my case.

Do I play my get-out-of-nerd-free card here for knowing what this is, or do you have to actually
subscribe. Is this ng going to carry on regardless into the 64 bit world?

> And then there's ntl.feedback.general (the world and his dog but never NTL write here).

If I ever subscribed to such a newsgroup as ntl.feedback.general, I wouldn't be able to post
anything which wasn't rude. And I would have a lot to post on topic (now historical, rather than
hysterical). So I don't.

> And finally, there's always urc!

Oh, of course! The original question was rhetorical :)

> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Dscf0632.jpg

Email is on its way to your personal account, not suitable for posting in public, about an issue
with this link!