Proper Sentencing

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tony Raven, Jun 28, 2003.

  1. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Tags:

  2. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

  3. Tenex

    Tenex Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3024304.stm
    >
    > "A Texan woman who hit a pedestrian and left him to die stuck in the windscreen of her car has
    > been jailed for 50 years."
    >
    > Tony

    OTOH it's rather disagreeable to read the Public Prosecutor argued:

    "She stole his life. She stole his hope of anyone else saving his life. That's murder".

    Theft and murder are not the same. Both are acts that are well defined by statute and case law and
    to suggest that murder is theft reduces the gravity of the offence.

    Are property related references are the only way of convincing a Texan jury of the seriousness of an
    offence? Texas has one of the highest rates of execution from memory, why wasn't it levied in this
    case? Gender?

  4. Garry Broad

    Garry Broad Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 08:15:41 +0100, "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3024304.stm
    >
    >"A Texan woman who hit a pedestrian and left him to die stuck in the windscreen of her car has been
    >jailed for 50 years."

    I've been told by a girlfriend in California on a few occasions - "if

    I forget the statisics now but Texas executes more people than any other state. It's interesting
    reading (if you're into taht kind of thing!). OK, finding them here:

    http://www.amnestyusa.org/abolish/retentionist-state.html

    Not making any point here, just remember the 'Texas factor'. Maybe they have something, search me.

    Dubya country afterall :)

    Garry

  5. Mark South

    Mark South Guest

  6. Andy Dingley

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 08:15:41 +0100, "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"A Texan woman who hit a pedestrian and left him to die stuck in the windscreen of her car has been
    >jailed for 50 years."

    Read alt.obituaries for a lot more on this.

    Rather than "evil driver killed ped" it seems to be as much a case of "driver is too stoned to even
    know what day it was"

  7. Rj Webb

    Rj Webb Guest

    >Are property related references are the only way of convincing a Texan jury of the seriousness of
    >an offence? Texas has one of the highest rates of execution from memory, why wasn't it levied in
    >this case? Gender?

    Dont care... One less state murder in Texas is cause for celebration. As is locking this little
    bastard up for a very long time.

    Richard Webb

  8. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Andy Dingley <[email protected]odesmiths.com> typed:

    > Read alt.obituaries for a lot more on this.

    OK, so what is the most obscure other newsgroup subscribed to by urc members?

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  9. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:
    > In news:[email protected], Andy Dingley <[email protected]> typed:
    >
    >>Read alt.obituaries for a lot more on this.
    >>

    > OK, so what is the most obscure other newsgroup subscribed to by urc members?

    I suppose it depends exactly how you interpret obscure. If you mean least likely in combination with
    URC, then I would admit to uk.rec.cars.kit-car. If you mean least traffic (sorry) type obscure, then
    uk.local.herefordshire. Neither of these are an alt syle newsgroup
    - for me that would include alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent (not really considered obscure here, I
    suppose) and alt.horology.

    OK, alt.horology, final answer. So obscure that the spammer who posted horoscopes to it probably
    didn't know the mistake he was making.

    If I was going to deliberately subscribe to something obscure, it would be z-netz.alt.obskur.

    --
    Jim Price

    http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

    Aye!.

  10. Tenex

    Tenex Guest

    RJ Webb wrote:
    > Dont care... One less state murder in Texas is cause for celebration. As is locking this little
    > bastard up for a very long time.
    >
    > Richard Webb

    You miss my point, namely:

  11. On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 13:13:50 +0100, "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In news:[email protected], Andy Dingley <[email protected]> typed:
    >>
    >> Read alt.obituaries for a lot more on this.
    >>

    >OK, so what is the most obscure other newsgroup subscribed to by urc members?

    rec.crafts.distilling

    Hic. :)
    --
    DG

    Bah!

  12. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 14:32:12 +0100, Jim Price <[email protected]> wrote:

    >OK, alt.horology, final answer. So obscure that the spammer who posted horoscopes to it probably
    >didn't know the mistake he was making.

    And did you clean his clock?

    Guy
    ===

  13. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 14:32:12 +0100, Jim Price <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>OK, alt.horology, final answer. So obscure that the spammer who posted horoscopes to it probably
    >>didn't know the mistake he was making.
    >

    > And did you clean his clock?

    Fortunately he went away before any remedial treatment could be adminstered. Also, the clock thing
    seems obscure in comparison to watches on many online horological discussion boards.

    --
    Jim Price

    http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

    Aye!.

  14. John Blake

    John Blake Guest

    In message id <[email protected]> on Sat, 28 Jun 2003
    07:31:39 +0000 (UTC), Peter B wrote in uk.rec.cycling :

    >"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3024304.stm
    >>
    >> "A Texan woman who hit a pedestrian and left him to die stuck in the windscreen of her car has
    >> been jailed for 50 years."
    >
    >Presumably as the woman lacks goolies, for the removal of, a long custodial sentence is the
    >only option.
    >
    >Pete

    This could be a second offence. ;-)

    --
    I don't do arguments, read the reply properly to get the context. Kind regards. If you want to take
    it to email remove THE SPAM BLOKA

  15. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 14:32:12 +0100, Jim Price <[email protected]> wrote:

    >OK, alt.horology, final answer. So obscure that the spammer who posted horoscopes to it probably
    >didn't know the mistake he was making.

    Maybe the spammer's horoscope told him to throw away his dictionary.

    >If I was going to deliberately subscribe to something obscure, it would be z-netz.alt.obskur.

    Probably alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird in my case. And then there's ntl.feedback.general (the
    world and his dog but never NTL write here). And finally, there's always urc!

    Occasionally - just very occasionally - I do "subscribe" to some very obscure NGs for a day or two
    just for the hell of it.

    James

  16. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    James Hodson wrote:
    >>If I was going to deliberately subscribe to something obscure, it would be z-netz.alt.obskur.
    >
    > Probably alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird in my case.

    Do I play my get-out-of-nerd-free card here for knowing what this is, or do you have to actually
    subscribe. Is this ng going to carry on regardless into the 64 bit world?

    > And then there's ntl.feedback.general (the world and his dog but never NTL write here).

    If I ever subscribed to such a newsgroup as ntl.feedback.general, I wouldn't be able to post
    anything which wasn't rude. And I would have a lot to post on topic (now historical, rather than
    hysterical). So I don't.

    > And finally, there's always urc!

    Oh, of course! The original question was rhetorical :)

    > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Dscf0632.jpg

    Email is on its way to your personal account, not suitable for posting in public, about an issue
    with this link!