proper short inseam length

jrstevens

Dec 22, 2004
I know this reads like a question for Style Man of Bicycling magazine but here goes.

How far above the knee should one's cycling shorts end? I've seen pics in catalogs where it appears to be just an inch or so. Mine are probably closer to 4. Anyone else care to share?

JS

jrstevens said:
I know this reads like a question for Style Man of Bicycling magazine but here goes.

How far above the knee should one's cycling shorts end? I've seen pics in catalogs where it appears to be just an inch or so. Mine are probably closer to 4. Anyone else care to share?

JS
Its personal preference. I don't know about guys shorts, but gals come in all sorts of lengths depending on what you like. Check out Pearl Izumi's womens shorts some time they come in at least 3 lengths 7", 6" and 5" depending on the style.

jrstevens said:

JS
Personal preference. I actually like the ones that are a few inches above the knee better than the ones that go almost all the way to the knee.

Eden said:
Its personal preference. I don't know about guys shorts, but gals come in all sorts of lengths depending on what you like. Check out Pearl Izumi's womens shorts some time they come in at least 3 lengths 7", 6" and 5" depending on the style.
I just received a pair of Biemme bib shorts which barely cover half my upper leg. they're about 2 inches above my tan line from my other shorts. I called the vendor I purchased them from online and they said that's the way Biemme's run. I would exchange them for the next size up but that likely won't change the inseam length dramatically and I may lose some of the nice form fitting throught the waist. any other comments appreciated,

JS

jrstevens said:
I just received a pair of Biemme bib shorts which barely cover half my upper leg. they're about 2 inches above my tan line from my other shorts. I called the vendor I purchased them from online and they said that's the way Biemme's run. I would exchange them for the next size up but that likely won't change the inseam length dramatically and I may lose some of the nice form fitting throught the waist. any other comments appreciated,

JS
:D :D :D Sounds like we need to see pictures.
But seriously if they are comfortable on the bike there is nothing wrong with short shorts. Some ladies at least worry about the tan line so they go as short as possible. Personally I don't like them really short - the bottom of the leg can rub against your saddle and chafe and I don't really need the kind of comments that very short shorties might generate, but I don't like them to fit like knickers either. Guestimating from my tan like it looks like my preference is about 4" above my knee.

(edit) yeah hmmm, you can tell I'm not a guy, no overestimating here. I just measured and I like my shorts about 6" above my knee, which gives them about a 6.5" inseam.

jrstevens said:

Cycling shorts settle differently whether you're standing around in them or riding in them. Mine are usually pretty close to my knees when I put them on, but as soon as I get on the bike they shift up to about 4". I think that's why they look longer in adds/catalogs.

It’s a prefect Style-man question, however:

I think the inseam length is directly related to what kind of cyclists tan you want to produce in the summer.

· If you really feel the need to broadcast that you are a cyclist and don't feel the shaved legs are enough, you go for the high socks, long shorts, and jerseys with longer the average short sleeves, and high necks. This way no matter what civilian clothing you are wearing, pasty white flesh will be sticking out somewhere.

· Or if you are wanting to stealth your cycling habit you'll go with the clothing that leaves a more discrete tan line, so you’ll blend in better pool side. Or at least when you wear normal shorts “the dead white flesh” stays hidden at the company picnic.

Personally I think the longer shorts tend to stay put better, and migrate less during a ride and I like the “new feet” look when wearing my Birkenstocks without socks – nothing says cycling dork better:)

HR

jrstevens said:

JS
It depends on if you are riding up hill or not and whether your HR is 79.20975737% of Max. Then you have to throw in if the wind is blowing and what color your bike is. This question can't be answered "newbie" j/k

See amature speeds