Proper strength-building with hand weights?

geardad

Jun 2, 2006
Anyone have a good link which shows both the safe and effective way to use hand weights to build upper-body strenght?

I have some nice basic weights I use, but I feel I'm not doing the best I could do for the best results.

thanks!

g

Which muscle group are you trying to build?
What is the goal you are trying to achieve by building it?

geardad said:
Anyone have a good link which shows both the safe and effective way to use hand weights to build upper-body strenght?

I have some nice basic weights I use, but I feel I'm not doing the best I could do for the best results.

thanks!

g

Pureshot78 said:
Which muscle group are you trying to build?
What is the goal you are trying to achieve by building it?

arms and chest, really... the hand weights I have can be either 2 at up to 15# each, or 1 at up to #30.

I seem to get better at being able to do reps of 1 @ 30#, but I don't feel that I'm actually getting stronger...wierd...

gd

How many reps can you do with 30 lbs?

In order to make strengths gains you will eventually need to vary the volume (reps) or intensity (weight / resistence) of the exercise.

If you can do 3 sets of 15 or more reps per arm I'd try to move on to something a little more difficult. A good next move would be to do pushups on your knees.

Once you can do 20+ of those in a set, then move onto pushups with your legs fully extended (feet touching the ground instead of knees).

geardad said:
arms and chest, really... the hand weights I have can be either 2 at up to 15# each, or 1 at up to #30.

I seem to get better at being able to do reps of 1 @ 30#, but I don't feel that I'm actually getting stronger...wierd...

gd

Join a gym, get a trainer to map out a program and do it right, don't waste your time with your "hand weights" the only thing that works is progressive resistance weight training.

Alex Simmons said:
Try a weight training forum?
+1. Or alternatively I would be happy to sell you my upper body - its giving me the ***** and I want to get rid of it!!! :p I have some great pecs, shoulders, biceps and traps - free to a good home. Its screwing up my hill climbing. :)