Proper Swimming Atire

Micheal Artinda

Guest
Normaly when i swim, i wear brief style swimwear. I rarely swim with shorts on.

I am a adult helper with a yotuh organizeation. We will be going swiming as an outing. The youth are
younger boys. I am not gay, or a pedofile. I also dont wanna be viewed as one either.

I live in Canada.

My question is, should i wear what everyone does, or not.

I wear what i wear out of comfort. It alows me to concentrate on my strokes, and not on trying to
move. I find shorts very restrictive.

when we go, we will be doing stroke improvements with the youth.

What should i do?

Micheal

I suggest you keep wearing what you are wearing. It is a shame Canadians are becoming like us
Americans and are worried about a stupid swim suit. We

this world is becoming.

Curt

"Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Normaly when i swim, i wear brief style swimwear. I rarely swim with
shorts
> on.
>
> I am a adult helper with a yotuh organizeation. We will be going swiming
as
> an outing. The youth are younger boys. I am not gay, or a pedofile. I also dont wanna be viewed as
> one either.
>
> I live in Canada.
>
> My question is, should i wear what everyone does, or not.
>
> I wear what i wear out of comfort. It alows me to concentrate on my
strokes,
> and not on trying to move. I find shorts very restrictive.
>
> when we go, we will be doing stroke improvements with the youth.
>
> What should i do?
>
> Micheal

I agree totally with Curt.

getting paranoid. I blame lawyers and the media.

"curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I suggest you keep wearing what you are wearing. It is a shame Canadians are becoming like us
> Americans and are worried about a stupid swim suit.
We

> this world is becoming.
>
> Curt
>
> "Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Normaly when i swim, i wear brief style swimwear. I rarely swim with
> shorts
> > on.
> >
> > I am a adult helper with a yotuh organizeation. We will be going swiming
> as
> > an outing. The youth are younger boys. I am not gay, or a pedofile. I
also
> > dont wanna be viewed as one either.
> >
> > I live in Canada.
> >
> > My question is, should i wear what everyone does, or not.
> >
> > I wear what i wear out of comfort. It alows me to concentrate on my
> strokes,
> > and not on trying to move. I find shorts very restrictive.
> >
> > when we go, we will be doing stroke improvements with the youth.
> >
> > What should i do?
> >
> > Micheal

Micheal Artindale says...

> Normaly when i swim, i wear brief style swimwear. I rarely swim with shorts on.

> I am a adult helper with a yotuh organizeation. We will be going swiming as an outing. The youth
> are younger boys. I am not gay, or a pedofile. I also dont wanna be viewed as one either.

> I live in Canada.

> My question is, should i wear what everyone does, or not.

> I wear what i wear out of comfort. It alows me to concentrate on my strokes, and not on trying to
> move. I find shorts very restrictive.

> when we go, we will be doing stroke improvements with the youth.

> What should i do?

My opinion, which will be different from the politically correct response you'll get from most
others, is that if the others, particularly the boys themselves, are wearing shorts, then you
should too. I think that's appropriate for that circumstance, and is least likely to get you into
trouble. But of course if you feel compelled to make a statement against our society's silly
hangups, then go ahead.

"Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Normaly when i swim, i wear brief style swimwear. I rarely swim with
shorts
> on.
>
> I am a adult helper with a yotuh organizeation. We will be going swiming
as
> an outing. The youth are younger boys. I am not gay, or a pedofile. I also dont wanna be viewed as
> one either.
>
> I live in Canada.
>
> My question is, should i wear what everyone does, or not.
>
> I wear what i wear out of comfort. It alows me to concentrate on my
strokes,
> and not on trying to move. I find shorts very restrictive.
>
> when we go, we will be doing stroke improvements with the youth.
>
> What should i do?

It depends on the society you live in. Unfortunately, wrt society, perception is reality. If you
feel like you will be crucified for wearing briefs, it may be worth your peace-of-mind to wear
shorts [there are a few decent swimming shorts out there, although they are hard to find - I use
Speedo shorts that are prohibitively expensive and have alternate panels fading to different colors
over time :( ].

If you want to make a social statement, stick with the briefs.

>It depends on the society you live in. Unfortunately, wrt society,

It's strange...I am in Asia and most men wear briefs to swim. Seems like the more "conservative" the
culture (eg the USA in the 1960s?), the more practical people get?

only suggestion that might be a reasonable compromise is to try the first day with a Jammer style.
Then kyou can guage reaction, do your thing the next day.

Like others commments here, the usa has gotten too wierd about the male swimsuit issue.

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 18:16:11 -0500, Micheal Artindale
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Normaly when i swim, i wear brief style swimwear. I rarely swim with shorts on.
>
> I am a adult helper with a yotuh organizeation. We will be going swiming as an outing. The youth
> are younger boys. I am not gay, or a pedofile. I also dont wanna be viewed as one either.
>
> I live in Canada.
>
> My question is, should i wear what everyone does, or not.
>
> I wear what i wear out of comfort. It alows me to concentrate on my strokes, and not on trying to
> move. I find shorts very restrictive.
>
> when we go, we will be doing stroke improvements with the youth.
>
> What should i do?

You know what you should do, but I'll tell you anyway. Buy a pair of nylon gym shorts. Wear your
speedo while swimming. When you get out of the pool to instruct the kids, grab your nylon gym shorts
and pull them on over your speedo. Take them off again when you get back in the water.

Since even an idiot can figure this out on his own, you probably *are* a pedophile. If you are, I
hope you get caught soon. If you aren't just ignore me, except for the part about the gym shorts.

martin

--
If you are a US citizen, please use your constitutional right to vote, because we badly need a new
president.

We are seeing so many of these childish, swim attire posts that I'm beginning to think the newsgroup
is being used by a pedophile ring for passing secret messages to one another. I suppose I am a
conspiracy theorist after all. Well, not to worry. I'm sure the FBI is watching.

martin

--
If you are a US citizen, please use your constitutional right to vote, because we badly need a new
president.

"m. w. smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 18:16:11 -0500, Micheal Artindale <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Normaly when i swim, i wear brief style swimwear. I rarely swim with shorts on.
> >
> > I am a adult helper with a yotuh organizeation. We will be going swiming as an outing. The youth
> > are younger boys. I am not gay, or a pedofile. I also dont wanna be viewed as one either.
> >
> > I live in Canada.
> >
> > My question is, should i wear what everyone does, or not.
> >
> > I wear what i wear out of comfort. It alows me to concentrate on my strokes, and not on trying
> > to move. I find shorts very restrictive.
> >
> > when we go, we will be doing stroke improvements with the youth.
> >
> > What should i do?
>
> You know what you should do, but I'll tell you anyway. Buy a pair of nylon gym shorts. Wear your
> speedo while swimming. When you get out of the pool to instruct the kids, grab your nylon gym
> shorts and pull them on over your speedo. Take them off again when you get back in the water.
>
> Since even an idiot can figure this out on his own, you probably *are* a pedophile. If you are, I
> hope you get caught soon. If you aren't just ignore me, except for the part about the gym shorts.
>
> martin
>
> --
> If you are a US citizen, please use your constitutional right to vote, because we badly need a new
> president.

First of all, dont acuse me of doing or being something i'm not. your american, and i dont say you
are an idiot.

second, i was planing on shorts, but i wanted to see what the opinion of other people was.

I ll list yours as typical western society.

"m. w. smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> We are seeing so many of these childish, swim attire posts that I'm beginning to think the
> newsgroup is being used by a pedophile ring for passing secret messages to one another. I suppose
> I am a conspiracy theorist after all. Well, not to worry. I'm sure the FBI is watching.
>
> martin

Have you been drinking again? ;) Geez, kind of out there aren't you Martin?

Curt

> You know what you should do, but I'll tell you anyway. Buy a pair of nylon gym shorts. Wear
> your speedo while swimming. When you get out of the pool to instruct the kids, grab your nylon
> gym shorts and pull them on over your speedo. Take them off again when you get back in the
> water. martin

I highly advise against this! If you are going to wear shorts or something other than a Speedo,
just wear that all the time. At least that way you are not announcing to kids that there is
something wrong with wearing a Speedo. This is the root of the problem in the first place. It is
just so silly.

Curt .

> > We are seeing so many of these childish, swim attire posts that I'm beginning to think the
> > newsgroup is being used by a pedophile ring for passing secret messages to one another. I
> > suppose I am a conspiracy theorist after all. Well, not to worry. I'm sure the FBI is watching.
> >
> > martin
>
> Have you been drinking again? ;) Geez, kind of out there aren't you Martin?
>
> Curt

Well, we did have a guy a couple of months ago wanting us to send him our used Speedos....

Pat in TX

"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > > We are seeing so many of these childish, swim attire posts that I'm beginning to think the
> > > newsgroup is being used by a pedophile ring for passing secret messages to one another. I
> > > suppose I am a conspiracy theorist after all. Well, not to worry. I'm sure the FBI is
> > > watching.
> > >
> > > martin
> >
> > Have you been drinking again? ;) Geez, kind of out there aren't you Martin?
> >
> > Curt
>
> Well, we did have a guy a couple of months ago wanting us to send him our used Speedos....
>
> Pat in TX

Well yeah, there are some weird people, but that has nothing to do with wearing a damn Speedo if you
are a real swimmer. I guess people want the person wearing one to cover up when he is out of the
pool. Man, I guess the

you are in a Speedo, you are child molester and gay or whatever. I guess it will get to that point
eventually were we will have to wear a full wet suit in the pool and then put a cover over yourself
when you get out, so not to show your bare feet.

Curt

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 11:43:43 -0500, Micheal Artindale
<[email protected]> wrote:

> First of all, dont acuse me of doing or being something i'm not. your american, and i dont say you
> are an idiot.

You're an adult helper with a youth organization, and you are confused about what clothes to wear
around "younger boys." It is important to you to emphasize that you are "not gay, or a pedophile,"
and you "dont wanna be viewed as one." And you felt compelled to make clear to a group of swimmers,
most of whom have worn speedo suits for decades, that *you* wear them for *comfort* and comfort
allows you "to concentrate on my strokes, and not on trying to move." Astonishingly, you "find
shorts very restrictive."

Normal people don't have these problems.

The only things shorts restrict are your balls. They are supposed to do that; briefs restrict them
too. Nowadays, world class swimmers wear suits that cover their entire bodies. If they were
restrictive, swimmers wouldn't wear them. Swimmers in triathlons even wear wetsuits.

You shouldn't be working for a youth organization. Print your original message and take it to the
managers of that youth organization. After they read it, if you are still working for them, then
just ask them what you should wear in front of the children.

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 19:42:19 GMT, curt <[email protected]> wrote:

> "m. w. smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
>> We are seeing so many of these childish, swim attire posts that I'm beginning to think the
>> newsgroup is being used by a pedophile ring for passing secret messages to one another. I suppose
>> I am a conspiracy theorist after all. Well, not to worry. I'm sure the FBI is watching.
>>
>> martin
>
> Have you been drinking again? ;) Geez, kind of out there aren't you Martin?

My problem is I don't drink enough. I don't know how else you can put up with these nutters.

martin

--

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 19:45:07 GMT, curt <[email protected]> wrote:

>> You know what you should do, but I'll tell you anyway. Buy a pair of nylon gym shorts. Wear
>> your speedo while swimming. When you get out of the pool to instruct the kids, grab your nylon
>> gym shorts and pull them on over your speedo. Take them off again when you get back in the
>> water. martin
>
> I highly advise against this! If you are going to wear shorts or something other than a Speedo,
> just wear that all the time. At least that way you are not announcing to kids that there is
> something wrong with wearing a Speedo. This is the root of the problem in the first place. It is
> just so silly.

It doesn't announce there is something wrong. Clothes are made for purposes. Different clothes for
different purposes. Horses for courses. Speedos are made for swimming. For people who look good in
them, they can also be used for showing off the body. Coaching is not swimming, and it is not
showing off the body, so it is appropriate for a coach to "change hats" when he gets out of the
water to do some coaching.

You don't go to work wearing nothing but your speedo, do you? Why not? Why are you telling all your
colleagues that there is something wrong with wearing a speedo?

It is appropriate for the coach to look different from the swimmers. It isn't necessary, but it is
appropriate.

martin

--
If you are a US citizen, please use your constitutional right to vote, because we badly need a new
president.

> It doesn't announce there is something wrong. Clothes are made for purposes. Different clothes for
> different purposes. Horses for courses. Speedos are made for swimming. For people who look good in
> them, they can also be used for showing off the body. Coaching is not swimming, and it is not
> showing off the body, so it is appropriate for a coach to "change hats" when he gets out of the
> water to do some coaching.
>
> You don't go to work wearing nothing but your speedo, do you? Why not? Why are you telling all
> your colleagues that there is something wrong with wearing a speedo?
>
> It is appropriate for the coach to look different from the swimmers. It isn't necessary, but it is
> appropriate.
>
> martin

This reminded me of when my oldest son was 5 and I took him to swim lessons. The instructor was
wearing a Speedo, and as he gathered the little boys around him (the children were sitting down),
one little boy piped up and exclaimed , "I can see his weenie!"

Pat in TX

"Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Normaly when i swim, i wear brief style swimwear. I rarely swim with shorts on.
>
> I am a adult helper with a yotuh organizeation. We will be going swiming as an outing. The youth
> are younger boys. I am not gay, or a pedofile. I also dont wanna be viewed as one either.
>
> I live in Canada.
>
> My question is, should i wear what everyone does, or not.
>
> I wear what i wear out of comfort. It alows me to concentrate on my strokes, and not on trying to
> move. I find shorts very restrictive.
>
> when we go, we will be doing stroke improvements with the youth.
>
> What should i do?
>
> Micheal

I'd suggest that you play it by ear. Have shorts available, and have your briefs available, too.

The first thing you should do is observe what the boys are wearing. The last time I was in Canada,
it was fairly common for boys to wear swim briefs (in fact, I remember a boy in a hotel getting on
the elevator to ride down to the hotel pool wearing nothing but his swim briefs, which I've never
seen happen in the U.S.). But perhaps that's changed, or perhaps it depends on where in Canada you
are. If at least some of the boys are wearing briefs, it probably won't create a sensation if you
wear them, too.

Another issue is whether you should only wear your briefs when you are in the water, and put on
shorts whenever you are out of the water
(e.g., giving swim instruction from the side of the pool). Again, I'd suggest observing what
the boys do.

There may also be an argument for wearing your briefs when you are in the water, even if none of the
boys are doing this, IF the youth organization you are working with doesn't object. One of the
things boys should learn when they're getting stroke training, IMO, is that serious swimmers wear
competitive swimwear. If a boy notices that the adult leaders who are really into swimming wear
competitive swimwear, he's likely to associate competitive swimwear with serious swimming and feel a
lot more comfortable wearing it when/if he gets serious about swimming.

Bob

> One of the things boys should learn when they're getting stroke training, IMO, is that serious
> swimmers wear competitive swimwear. If a boy notices that the adult leaders who are really into
> swimming wear competitive swimwear, he's likely to associate competitive swimwear with serious
> swimming and feel a lot more comfortable wearing it when/if he gets serious about swimming.
>

> Bob

Now that is a good answer.

Curt