Proper turns for IM

Micheal Artinda

Guest
I was wondering what are the proper ways to turn in all 4 strokes of the IM free, butterfly,
Breast, back.?

Micheal

Two hand touch from fly to back, any kind of single hand touch (staying on your back) from back to
breast, two hand touch from breast to free.

"Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I was wondering what are the proper ways to turn in all 4 strokes of the
IM
> free, butterfly, Breast, back.?
>
> Micheal

"Count Scrofula" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Two hand touch from fly to back, any kind of single hand touch (staying on your back) from back to
> breast, two hand touch from breast to free.

Now, what about in between the changeover, when im doing 50m of each, and the pool is 25m?

> "Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I was wondering what are the proper ways to turn in all 4 strokes of the
> IM
> > free, butterfly, Breast, back.?
> >
> > Micheal

"Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Count Scrofula" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Two hand touch from fly to back, any kind of single hand touch (staying
on
> > your back) from back to breast, two hand touch from breast to free.
> >

> Now, what about in between the changeover, when im doing 50m of each, and the pool is 25m?

standard two hand touch for the breast and fly, proper flip turns on the back and free. Gets
confusing for kids sometimes with the different turns in a single event

> > "Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > I was wondering what are the proper ways to turn in all 4 strokes of
the
> > IM
> > > free, butterfly, Breast, back.?
> > >
> > > Micheal

"Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I was wondering what are the proper ways to turn in all 4 strokes of the IM free, butterfly,
> Breast, back.?
>
> Micheal

I am a competitive swimmer at a college in Florida. For backstroke and freestyle, you should do a
flipturn. When you come to the wall, tuck yourself into a ball and flip over, like a sommersault.
You should be on your back, then push off the wall and gradually turn over for freestyle and
continue swimming. For backstroke, just stay on your back. For Breaststroke and Butterfly, you
should do what is called an open turn. Touch the wall with both hands at the same time, then drop
your left arm. Pull your legs up to the wall and put your other arm with your left in a streamline.
Then push off. I hope this helps and isn't too confusing. I wasn't exactly sure what exactly you
wanted but I hope your turns improve.

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 18:42:54 -0500, "Micheal
Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I was wondering what are the proper ways to turn in all 4 strokes of the IM free, butterfly,
>Breast, back.?

You may notice a discrepancy in the other responses as regards Back to Breast. I saw a swimmer DQ'd
for doing a flip turn from Back to Breast. She was allowed to do this in her HS meets, but not in
her YMCA meets. In the YMCA league, she had to stay on her back until she touched the wall.

So the turn varies depending on whether your league follows the latest FINA or an older
set of rules.

Donal Fagan AIA Donal@DonalO'Fagan.com (Anglicise the name to reply by e-mail)

Unless you employ a flip (either old-school back somersault, or new 90degree touch flip turn)
between back-to-breast transition, you use open turns between all legs of the medley swim, and as
Mike states here, the touch completing the leg must be accordance with the rules governing the touch
in that style.

"Mike Edey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
> Not really - you still have to touch the wall before you turn on your front - just like the old
> back/back 'suicide' turns.
>
> The applicable FINA rules:
>
> Regarding backstroke finishes: W 6.5 Upon the finish of the race the swimmer must touch the wall
> while on the back. The body may be submerged at the touch.
>
> IM legs: SW 9.3 Each section must be finished in accordance with the rule which applies to the
> style concerned.
>

> --Mike
>
> On Wed, 18 Feb 2004
> 15:01:54 +0000, Donal Fagan wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 18:42:54 -0500, "Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >>I was wondering what are the proper ways to turn in all 4 strokes of the IM free, butterfly,
> >>Breast, back.?
> >
> > You may notice a discrepancy in the other responses as regards Back to Breast. I saw a swimmer
> > DQ'd for doing a flip turn from Back to Breast. She was allowed to do this in her HS meets,
> > but not in her YMCA meets. In the YMCA league, she had to stay on her back until she touched
> > the wall.
> >
> > So the turn varies depending on whether your league follows the latest FINA or an older set of
> > rules.
> >

> > Donal Fagan AIA Donal@DonalO'Fagan.com (Anglicise the name to reply by e-mail)

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 19:36:15 GMT, Mike Edey
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Not really - you still have to touch the wall before you turn on your front - just like the old
>back/back 'suicide' turns.

The official told her that the YMCA rule was different than her HS league rules. And he was the guy
certifying the other officials.

Donal Fagan AIA Donal@DonalO'Fagan.com (Anglicise the name to reply by e-mail)

At least in Wisconsin, the only different HS rule for IM turns is that back to breast can be a
conventional backstroke flip turn into the breaststroke, i believe anyway...

news:[email protected]...