Proposals for Newfoundland

Apr 11, 2005
----- Original Message ----- From: Ed Arzouian
To: steve.lacellecanadian-cycling.com ; competition ; 'Brett Stewart' ; Leon Organ ; lestomlinson ; Lister Farrar ; Tim Farrar
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2005 6:58 PM
Subject: Proposal for Newfoundland

This is an interesting news piece from Canadian Cyclist regarding proposals for NL.

I think it is great to see this type of event happening on Newfoundland. I had discussed this a bit with Leon Organ, Newfoundland Cycling Association President, before. I'm of the opinion we need at least one national calibre event in each discipline in each province, a lofty but achievable and desirable goal.

The deadline for proposals is June 20. I hope I will be hired as Director of Marketing Ops before then but who knows, huh!

If I were to be hired I would want to look into this and submit a proposal of some kind to make sure it is done properly. I'm assuming this could be added to the Canada Cups?

The CCA should keeps it foot in the door for this to make sure the event is properly done. You only have one chanced to make a first impression. Possibly some of the legacy funds could be used to launch this, guaranteeing a greater level of sponsorship.

Obviously I cannot do anything yet, the deadline looms nevertheless.

The CCA should keep an eye on this, it is an opportunity for everyone not to lose.

Ed A.

posted on www.cyclingforums.com

Request for Proposals

The Celtic Business Development Corporation is inviting Event Planners or Consultants to submit a proposal to act as Event Coordinator for the 1st Annual Cycle Race - Tour de Shore, to take place in September 2006.

A full Terms of Reference can be obtained by calling the number below. Proposals must be received by 4:00 p.m. on Monday, June 20th

Celtic Business Development Corporation
P.O. Box 134
Ferryland, NL A0A 2H0
Tele: 709-432-2662 / Fax: 709-432-3056
email to: Request for Proposals

The Celtic Business Development Corporation is inviting Event Planners or Consultants to submit a proposal to act as Event Coordinator for the 1st Annual Cycle Race - Tour de Shore, to take place in September 2006.

A full Terms of Reference can be obtained by calling the number below. Proposals must be received by 4:00 p.m. on Monday, June 20th

Celtic Business Development Corporation
P.O. Box 134
Ferryland, NL A0A 2H0
Tele: 709-432-2662 / Fax: 709-432-3056
email to: [email protected]
http://www.celtic.cbdc.ca

The organizer of this race will have fantastic community support, that is for sure. Good to see a province like NF actively persuing a bike race.

Eddie, up until Steve got hired by the CCA, I would have considered your quote quite idealistic for Canada. Since Steve had mentioned contracts with the provinces, would this not be a good opportunity to put your idea on paper. Have the CCA commit to supporting each province to achieve the goal of having National calibre racing.

Perhaps you should cc this letter to the provincial heads as well. Make them aware.

Eddie Arzouian [font=Bookman Old Style said:
I'm of the opinion we need at least one national calibre event in each discipline in each province, a lofty but achievable and desirable goal.[/font]

The letter above was sent to various CCA parties and the President of the Newfoundland and Labrador Associations

I'm somewhat hesitant to lay out all these plans when I am still up for the job.

It would not surprise me in the least that I not be hired and the CCA simply adopt my ideas with somebody else in charge.

If that is the case, I will make it known.

To elaborate on what I am thinking about without formalizing anything nor sending it anywhere, I think some of the Legacy money should be used to initiate or develop good, maybe great, events in some of the places where they are not taking place (Ontario excluded since Canada's richest and most populace province, the centre of our corporate community, it should be doing this on its own).

I think it is certainly worthwhile from a development point of view which is what the Legacy funds were supposed to be about to offer something like $50,000 in exchange for the rights to the race and attempt to find matching corporate money. $100,000 would be the bare minimum needed to pull off a decent event in NL ($300,000 should be at least the target). It is unlikely many riders or teams would head out their without some type of travel subsidy nor should they. A Canadian Airline that truly wants to prove it is a national concern could assist in funding the travel to events in NL and Vancouver Island.

A Canada Cup series should be truly national and stop in almost every province.

It would be wrong and a waste of time to start a race in Newfoundland with less than the minimum funding to achieve some type of critical mass in terms of riders, media coverage and corporate support.

There is legacy money use it wisely and where it is needed.

In Canada it seems Tours in farther flung place (like Beauce or Lac St. Jean ) work best but they need the most effort to initiate them.