Proposed Iowa Mandatory Sidepath Law

Kerry Nikolaise

Guest
Saw this on the r.b.rides list. Looks like another attempt at a mandatory sidepath law.

The interesting thing about this one is, it requires you to ride on a shoulder (if available) or
on a "designated" bike trail (if within the highway ROW or adjacent). This applies to divided 4-
lane highways.

My biggest problem is with the "shoulder" requirement. I think anyone could get around the
designated bike trail requirement.

The main question as posed in the original post: How does this affect RAGBRAI?

http://www.bikeiowa.com/asp/hotnews/newsdisplay.asp?NewsID=524

Kerry

Most of these sorts of laws are defeated once it is made clear that they will lose national highway
funding if they break the Federal guidelines.

news:[email protected]...