Prospective Engineer

Originally posted by Scott Raymond
spam hater <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Zaf wrote:
>
> > [email protected] (Hanker) wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> >> Would be an excellent choice Peter, this country needs all the engineers it can get.
> >> (software especially, btw)
> >
> > This term software engineer always bothered me. Could be I'm biased, but it seemed to me Bill
> > Gates started this term so he could claim to
> Lets see: BS in ELectrical Engineering, Nearly completed MS in Comp Sci/Software Analysis.
>
> This included: 2 years of Physics 2 years of semi-conductor Physics 2 years of software structure
> and architecture 2 years of Advanced Hardware Design (both Analog and Hardware) Statics, Dynamics,
> Materials Science, Chemistry More fscking math, including partial differential equations,
> calculus, calculus and MORE calculus.
>
> Oh... and ELECTROMAGNETICS and Laser Theory.
>
> Not to mention the assorted classes in Philosophy, Engr Economics, Macro/Micro Econ, and technical
> writing.
>
> So.. before anyone says that Software Engineering is not engineering, then I ask them to step up
> to the plate and show me what they did to accomplish their career.
>
> Joe 'Yeah! I get touchy when my career is slapped!' Cipale

Joe: I've got a simple test I use for the appropriate use of the title "engineer". Is the claimant
entitled to sit for a PE exam? If so, sounds good... if not, he's (in the gender neutral sense, of
course) posing.

There are exams for the following:

• PE Agricultural • PE Architectural • PE Chemical • PE Civil • PE Control Systems • PE Electrical
and Computer • PE Environmental • PE Fire Protection • PE Industrial • PE Manufacturing • PE
Mechanical • PE Metallurgical • PE Mining and Mineral • PE Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering
• PE Nuclear • PE Petroleum • PE Structural I • PE Structural II

I don't see PE Software Engineering anywhere on the list :)

Scott-

Licensing of engineers was established mostly "in order to safeguard life, health, property, and public welfare" so that may not be a good yardstick to judge whether or not someone's job qualifies as engineering. There's also a PE exam for Traffic Engineering which probably has much less to do with engineering than Software Engineering does but it certainly involves public safety. Traffic Engineers are probably mostly Civil Engineers who've taken another exam so I'm not saying they aren't worthy of the title Engineer - just that other job functions that don't have PE exams could be worthy of it also. Certainly the title Engineer has been watered down in the last generation, but it's no dilution to include software engineers in my opinion.

> Geometry student-<< Hello....Ima sophmore in high school and im wondering how does geometry fall
> into enigneering? THX >><BR><BR>
>
> I'm thinking you should take a wee bit more english...

...like most engineers. Get a head start now, and you'll be way ahead of everyone else later on.

Matt O.

As an engineering student, I'll tell you this much:

STATICS SUCKS!

Nah i'm kidding, statics is all good, it just uses a LOT of trig (right-triangle geometry), as well
as some formal geometry as well. Analyzing mechanism evolution, truss structures, volumes (for
thermodynamics), surface areas (heat transfer). And let's not leave out every cyclist's fav: circles
for analyzing rotations!

Mike Mechanical Engineering 2006, Carnegie Mellon University Remove nospam to reply.

--On Thursday, October 2, 2003 5:13 PM +0000 Matt O'Toole <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> Geometry student-<< Hello....Ima sophmore in high school and im wondering how does geometry fall
>> into enigneering? THX >><BR><BR>
>>
>> I'm thinking you should take a wee bit more english...
>
> ...like most engineers. Get a head start now, and you'll be way ahead of everyone else later on.
>
> Matt O.

I think this joke might give you a good idea of how you have to think as an engineer:

"What is the difference between a Pessimist, and Optimist and an Engineer?" The Pessimist see the
glass as being half empty ... The Optimist sees the glass as being half full ...

The Engineer sees the glass as being twice as big as it needs to be!

Yes, you're going to need geometry and math to be an engineer. One of my favorite math dudes is
Archimedes, and the way he figured out the volume of a sphere is just amazing. If you get a chance,
check out this weeks NOVA program on PBS, it's all about him. This link will show you how it's done
although it's a little boring compared to the program;

http://physics.weber.edu/carroll/Archimedes/method1.htm

Good luck on your project!
C.Q.C.

news:[email protected]...

"mt_biker" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
> Funnily enough, the place I work had to change my job title from 'software engineer' because some
> engineering certification board was going to sue us. Aparently, we weren't board certified
> engineers so we couldn't use the term. I am now a 'software consultant'. I wonder if that was a
> promotion?

Please...

Tell me which state you work in so I can avoid it! Even the IEEE recognizes that Software Engineers
do not need to be licensed! fscking bureacratic dipwads...

"DiabloScott" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Scott Raymond wrote:
> > spam hater <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

wrote

> > > Lets see: BS in ELectrical Engineering, Nearly completed MS in Comp Sci/Software Analysis.
> > >
> > > This included: 2 years of Physics 2 years of semi-conductor Physics
2
> > > years of software structure and architecture 2 years of Advanced Hardware Design (both
> > > Analog and Hardware) Statics, Dynamics, Materials Science, Chemistry More fscking math,
> > > including partial differential equations, calculus, calculus and MORE calculus.
> > >
> > > Oh... and ELECTROMAGNETICS and Laser Theory.
> > >
> > > Not to mention the assorted classes in Philosophy, Engr Economics, Macro/Micro Econ, and
> > > technical writing.
> > >
> > > So.. before anyone says that Software Engineering is not
engineering,
> > > then I ask them to step up to the plate and show me what they did to accomplish their
> > > career.
> > >
> > > Joe 'Yeah! I get touchy when my career is slapped!' Cipale
> > Joe: I've got a simple test I use for the appropriate use of the title "engineer". Is the
> > claimant entitled to sit for a PE exam? If so,
sounds
> > good... if not, he's (in the gender neutral sense, of course) posing. There are exams for the
> > following:
> > . PE Agricultural . PE Architectural . PE Chemical . PE Civil . PE Control Systems . PE
> > Electrical and Computer . PE Environmental . PE Fire Protection . PE Industrial . PE
> > Manufacturing . PE Mechanical .
PE
> > Metallurgical . PE Mining and Mineral . PE Naval Architecture and
Marine
> > Engineering . PE Nuclear . PE Petroleum . PE Structural I . PE Structural II I don't see PE
> > Software Engineering anywhere on the list :) Scott-
>

> Licensing of engineers was established mostly "in order to safeguard life, health, property, and
> public welfare" so that may not be a good yardstick to judge whether or not someone's job
> qualifies as engineering. There's also a PE exam for Traffic Engineering which probably has much
> less to do with engineering than Software Engineering does but it certainly involves public
> safety. Traffic Engineers are probably mostly Civil Engineers who've taken another exam so I'm not
> saying they aren't worthy of the title Engineer - just that other job functions that don't have PE
> exams could be worthy of it also. Certainly the title Engineer has been watered down in the last
> generation, but it's no dilution to include software engineers in my opinion.

Soooooooooo.. how do you explain M$ calling thier people Software Engineers? Now THERE is a group
that should be fined, fired and fried for malfeasance!

mt_biker <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mark Hickey wrote:
> > "The Reeper" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >I am currently a high school student looking to go into engineering, and then I hope to design
> > >bicycles. Are there any engineers on this ng? Any advice? What's the job market like?
> > Some things you could do to prepare for a job in the bike industry.... Fast regularly to see if
> > it bothers you. Learn to love mass transit or better yet, riding your bike everyone. Have
> > yourself sterilized ASAP. Kids are very expensive. Neutering would be better, since it will
> > avoid the considerable expense of dating. Hang out with other people who can spend an hour in a
> > bike shop touching, lifting and smelling without actually buying anything - and consider the
> > time well-spent. Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com/http://www.habcycles.com
> > Home of the $695 ti frame
>>
>LOL. Those $695 ti frames aren't quite paying the bills, eh Mark?

Not that I disagree with any of the above, but I didn't write it (unless I did so in a trance, which
right now doesn't seem that unlikely...). Odd... - and the sig is kind of hosed up as well - it
should look like: