protect a ding in steel frame

Kbh

Guest
I have a ding (small amount of paint scratched off to bare metal) on the chainstay of my brand new
steel frame, and I was wondering how to protect this spot from rusting. Is there something I can
just dab on there that will do the job?

Thanks.

"KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:ZWI8a.301236$tq4.6512@sccrnsc01...
> I have a ding (small amount of paint scratched off to bare metal) on the chainstay of my brand new
> steel frame, and I was wondering how to protect this spot from rusting. Is there something I can
> just dab on there that will do the job?

Oil.

--
Perre Replace the DOTs to reply

At a stretch nail polish. Paint would be better.

AJS

"KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:ZWI8a.301236$tq4.6512@sccrnsc01...
> I have a ding (small amount of paint scratched off to bare metal) on the chainstay of my brand new
> steel frame, and I was wondering how to protect this spot from rusting. Is there something I can
> just dab on there that will do the job?
>
> Thanks.

"KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<ZWI8a.301236$tq4.6512@sccrnsc01>...
> I have a ding (small amount of paint scratched off to bare metal) on the chainstay of my brand new
> steel frame, and I was wondering how to protect this spot from rusting. Is there something I can
> just dab on there that will do the job?
>
> Thanks.

Car shops will do touch up paint in small brush on tubes. Red oxide primer is designed to
do this job.

To be honest I wouldn't bother. I have a couple of frames with many such scrapes which don't rust.
All but the cheapest frames are made from fairly corrosion resistant steels.

> "KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > I have a ding (small amount of paint scratched off to bare metal) on the chainstay of my brand
> > new steel frame, and I was wondering how to
protect
> > this spot from rusting. Is there something I can just dab on there that will do the job?
> >
> > Thanks.

"Andrew Webster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Car shops will do touch up paint in small brush on tubes. Red oxide primer is designed to do
> this job.
>
> To be honest I wouldn't bother. I have a couple of frames with many such scrapes which don't rust.
> All but the cheapest frames are made from fairly corrosion resistant steels.

Really? I hadn't noticed much corrosion resistance in the bikes I've worked with. Try leaving a new
frame in a hot water flux-removing bath overnight!

On 3 Mar 2003 11:39:06 -0800 [email protected] (Andrew Webster) wrote:

>All but the cheapest frames are made from fairly corrosion resistant steels.

I really don't think any bike steels are any more corrosion resistant than ordinary steel. There may
be someone out there making stainless steel frames, but this is not common, and the usual steel
alloys will rust as quickly as ordinary carbon steel in the same conditions.

We just don't treat most bikes as poorly as we do our cars.

-
Jim Adney [email protected] Madison, WI 53711 USA

"KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:ZWI8a.301236$tq4.6512@sccrnsc01...
> I have a ding (small amount of paint scratched off to bare metal) on the chainstay of my brand new
> steel frame, and I was wondering how to protect this spot from rusting. Is there something I can
> just dab on there that will do the job?
>
> Thanks.

I used to use this primer like treatment that would convert the rust into a protective coating.I
believe it was called Extend. Riding mainly nonferrous types of bikes these days I haven't really
worried about touching anything up recently.What was nice about the treatment was that you only had
to remove really loose rust and not sand down to bare metal and then paint over
it. I don't know if they still make that brand but there are similar products available.