protect a ding in steel frame

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Kbh, Mar 3, 2003.

  1. Kbh

    Kbh Guest

    I have a ding (small amount of paint scratched off to bare metal) on the chainstay of my brand new
    steel frame, and I was wondering how to protect this spot from rusting. Is there something I can
    just dab on there that will do the job?

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. "KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have a ding (small amount of paint scratched off to bare metal) on the chainstay of my brand new
    > steel frame, and I was wondering how to protect this spot from rusting. Is there something I can
    > just dab on there that will do the job?

    Oil.

    --
    Perre Replace the DOTs to reply

  3. A J S

    A J S Guest

    At a stretch nail polish. Paint would be better.

    AJS

    "KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have a ding (small amount of paint scratched off to bare metal) on the chainstay of my brand new
    > steel frame, and I was wondering how to protect this spot from rusting. Is there something I can
    > just dab on there that will do the job?
    >
    > Thanks.

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

  5. "KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have a ding (small amount of paint scratched off to bare metal) on the chainstay of my brand new
    > steel frame, and I was wondering how to protect this spot from rusting. Is there something I can
    > just dab on there that will do the job?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Car shops will do touch up paint in small brush on tubes. Red oxide primer is designed to
    do this job.

    To be honest I wouldn't bother. I have a couple of frames with many such scrapes which don't rust.
    All but the cheapest frames are made from fairly corrosion resistant steels.

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > "KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I have a ding (small amount of paint scratched off to bare metal) on the chainstay of my brand
    > > new steel frame, and I was wondering how to
    protect
    > > this spot from rusting. Is there something I can just dab on there that will do the job?
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    "Andrew Webster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Car shops will do touch up paint in small brush on tubes. Red oxide primer is designed to do
    > this job.
    >
    > To be honest I wouldn't bother. I have a couple of frames with many such scrapes which don't rust.
    > All but the cheapest frames are made from fairly corrosion resistant steels.

    Really? I hadn't noticed much corrosion resistance in the bikes I've worked with. Try leaving a new
    frame in a hot water flux-removing bath overnight!

  7. Jim Adney

    Jim Adney Guest

    On 3 Mar 2003 11:39:06 -0800 [email protected] (Andrew Webster) wrote:

    >All but the cheapest frames are made from fairly corrosion resistant steels.

    I really don't think any bike steels are any more corrosion resistant than ordinary steel. There may
    be someone out there making stainless steel frames, but this is not common, and the usual steel
    alloys will rust as quickly as ordinary carbon steel in the same conditions.

    We just don't treat most bikes as poorly as we do our cars.

    -
    Jim Adney [email protected] Madison, WI 53711 USA

  8. Fredzep

    Fredzep Guest

    "KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have a ding (small amount of paint scratched off to bare metal) on the chainstay of my brand new
    > steel frame, and I was wondering how to protect this spot from rusting. Is there something I can
    > just dab on there that will do the job?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I used to use this primer like treatment that would convert the rust into a protective coating.I
    believe it was called Extend. Riding mainly nonferrous types of bikes these days I haven't really
    worried about touching anything up recently.What was nice about the treatment was that you only had
    to remove really loose rust and not sand down to bare metal and then paint over
    it. I don't know if they still make that brand but there are similar products available.