Protecting cell phone in rain

chuck

Guest
Anyone know of a decent waterproof case for a cell phone. After last
nights ride my zip lock baggie containing my cell was filled with water
and my phone. I'd like a more reliable case than a zip lock baggie.

chuck wrote:
> Anyone know of a decent waterproof case for a cell phone. After last
> nights ride my zip lock baggie containing my cell was filled with water
> and my phone. I'd like a more reliable case than a zip lock baggie.

Camping supply stores carry small plastic cases which are foam lined
and made for the purpose. ~$10 if I remember.

But persoanlly I've had good luck with the baggies.

chuck wrote:
> Anyone know of a decent waterproof case for a cell phone.

Aquapac are the best, but not cheap
http://www.aquapac.net/

I generally make do with a ziplock baggie, but change the bag
frequently because they wear out in the pannier. For more extreme
environments like the beach a small food container with a click-lock
lid does the trick

http://www.lakelandlimited.co.uk/product.aspx/freshcool/containers!2597_2474_2475_2663_2479_2384_2482

chuck <[email protected]> wrote:
> Anyone know of a decent waterproof case for a cell phone. After last
> nights ride my zip lock baggie containing my cell was filled with water
> and my phone. I'd like a more reliable case than a zip lock baggie.

I've not used it personally, but Timbuk2 makes a hard cell case that
fits in your water bottle cage.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=21232&subcategory_ID=2328

Myself, I just chuck it in my Carradice bag side pocket. Since it's in
my wind/rain shadow the bag itself doesn't generally get more than
mildly damp. Since the fabric is fairly water-resistant, my phone has
been fine even in a downpour.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
"That time in Seattle... was a nightmare. I came out of it dead broke,

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 14:10:08 GMT, chuck <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Anyone know of a decent waterproof case for a cell phone. After last
>nights ride my zip lock baggie containing my cell was filled with water
>and my phone. I'd like a more reliable case than a zip lock baggie.

You can't use the ones with the zipper slider thingy, they can
"unslide." Use a regular one you have to squeeze shut and then put
that inside a freezer bag that also uses the same sealing system.

Inspect your ziploc on a regular basis. Mine have never let water in.

Roger Zoul wrote:
> Inspect your ziploc on a regular basis. Mine have never let water in.

Sound advice. Add to that: don't be a cheapskate and get the dollar
store variety. Get the fancy name brand *freezer* bags which are super
durable. I always keep one, some zip ties, and a bit of duct tape in my
Camelpak--enough to do basic surgery.

chuck wrote:
> Anyone know of a decent waterproof case for a cell phone. After last
> nights ride my zip lock baggie containing my cell was filled with water
> and my phone. I'd like a more reliable case than a zip lock baggie.

Wide-mouth water bottle?

HTH

--Karen D.

chuck wrote:
> Anyone know of a decent waterproof case for a cell phone. After last
> nights ride my zip lock baggie containing my cell was filled with water
> and my phone. I'd like a more reliable case than a zip lock baggie.

Ortlieb makes a handlebar mounted cellphone holder.

dkl

Roger Zoul wrote:
> Inspect your ziploc on a regular basis. Mine have never let water in.
>

> "chuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> Anyone know of a decent waterproof case for a cell phone. After last
>> nights ride my zip lock baggie containing my cell was filled with water
>> and my phone. I'd like a more reliable case than a zip lock baggie.

A good ziploc should do it. They are recommended for putting a digital
camera in and taking underwater shots, so why can't they protect a cell
phone? It sounds like someone forgot to zip and loc(k).
Bill Baka

>"chuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> Anyone know of a decent waterproof case for a cell phone. After last
>> nights ride my zip lock baggie containing my cell was filled with water
>> and my phone. I'd like a more reliable case than a zip lock baggie.

Try two zip lock bags.

Chris Neary
[email protected]

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

"chuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Anyone know of a decent waterproof case for a cell phone. After last
> nights ride my zip lock baggie containing my cell was filled with water
> and my phone. I'd like a more reliable case than a zip lock baggie.

You can buy a small dry-sack for cell phones/cameras etc. They velcro at
seam then fold over with clip locks, no doubt you've seen the bigger sizes.
Once you have sealed them over you can dunk them underwater without any
problem. Try an outdoor specialty shop rather than a bike shop.

Chris Neary <[email protected]> wrote:

> Try two zip lock bags.

I do that, and in addition keep one of those "do not eat" silica gel
packets that come packed with electronic gadgets in the bags with the
phone.

Bill

__o | Hummer: 10 mpg
_`\(,_ | Bicycle: uses no oil at all.