Protecting decals?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dave, Feb 6, 2003.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    So I put new decals on my Merlin Ti frame, and already they're scuffed and scratched. ANyone have
    any ideas on how to protect these things? I was thinking some kinda clear nail polish or some clear
    protective film, but anyone out there have any ideas?

    --
    Dave Jupiter FL (remove "dot" in the reply to send mail)

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, Dave wrote:

    > So I put new decals on my Merlin Ti frame, and already they're scuffed and scratched. ANyone have
    > any ideas on how to protect these things? I was thinking some kinda clear nail polish or some
    > clear protective film, but anyone out there have any ideas?

    Have a paint shop clear coat the frame after you apply the decals.

    --

    -John ([email protected])

  3. On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 16:23:06 -0500, John Thompson wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>, Dave wrote:
    >
    >> So I put new decals on my Merlin Ti frame, and already they're scuffed and scratched. ANyone have
    >> any ideas on how to protect these things? I was thinking some kinda clear nail polish or some
    >> clear protective film, but anyone out there have any ideas?
    >
    > Have a paint shop clear coat the frame after you apply the decals.

    No, don't do that to a ti frame. You want to protect the decals, put them on your bathroom mirror
    rather than on your bike.

    Don't worry about them. If Merlin wants the ad space, they can darn well make a tough-enough decal
    to stay there.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Become MicroSoft-free forever. Ask me how. _`\(,_ | (_)/ (_) |

  4. Bluto

    Bluto Guest

    Dave <[email protected]> wrote:

    > So I put new decals on my Merlin Ti frame, and already they're scuffed and scratched. ANyone have
    > any ideas on how to protect these things? I was thinking some kinda clear nail polish or some
    > clear protective film, but anyone out there have any ideas?

    You've got a titanium bicycle and you're fretting about the decals? That's sort of missing the
    point, ain't it? Do you leave the bar-code stickers on your chrome tools too?

    A heat gun will help you peel them off, and mineral spirits will remove any remaining residue. Your
    bike will thank you.

    Chalo Colina

  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Yeah, I kinda questioned clearcoating a Ti frame. I keep the drive train nice and clean, I love the
    frame, just thought I could keep the overall look good while having it high end functional too....

    David L. Johnson

    --
    Dave Jupiter FL (remove "dot" in the reply to send mail)

  6. Edward Dike

    Edward Dike Guest

    "It is not a horse. It is a stallion; a prancing stallion." Enzo Ferrari

    "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | Yeah, I know it's kinda vain, but hey, when you own it, may as well show it off as well. Kinda
    | like owning a Ferrari but taking off the horse logo from the back...
    |

    | Bluto wrote:
    | > Dave <[email protected]> wrote:
    | >

    | >>So I put new decals on my Merlin Ti frame, and already they're scuffed and scratched. ANyone
    | >>have any ideas on how to protect these things? I was thinking some kinda clear nail polish or
    | >>some clear protective film, but anyone out there have any ideas?
    | >

    | > You've got a titanium bicycle and you're fretting about the decals? That's sort of missing the
    | > point, ain't it? Do you leave the bar-code stickers on your chrome tools too?
    | >
    | > A heat gun will help you peel them off, and mineral spirits will remove any remaining residue.
    | > Your bike will thank you.
    | >
    | > Chalo Colina
    |

    | --
    | Dave Jupiter FL (remove "dot" in the reply to send mail)

  7. Dave

    Dave Guest

    --
    Dave Jupiter FL (remove "dot" in the reply to send mail)