Protecting face against the cold

Caden

Jun 30, 2006
I'll get this out of the way so you in Northern climates can poke fun at me for complaining: tomorrow will be my first commute on a day as cold as 38 degrees. I live in Austin. I have most everything layed out to protect everything (including my cold-sensitive ears - with a warm band-thingie around my head) except for my face. I thought about wearing a 3M mask used to protect against dust and stuff during home renovation projects. One of those paper filter dealies.

Anyone tried that? The hardest time I have in the cold is breathing in the cold air and my nose and ears hurting. The cold air makes my throat hurt pretty bad. I know I'd look crazy riding with a 3M mask, but if it kept the wind off...

I really don't think you'll need anything over your mouth and nose at 38 degs.
Just warm up slowly and let your lungs get used to the cool air. I live in NY and ski well into the minus temps without difficulty breathing.

Remember to layer your clothing with a good wicking layer next to the skin. At 38 degs. I will have an Under-Armor followed by a turtleneck then a windproof layer and lastly a light jacket with vented pit zips. On my legs I have Under-Armor cold gear tights and bike shorts. On my feet I have my trusty Pearlizumis with neoprene covers. Dont forget full fingered gloves.

If you wear glasses, those things will frost them up because a lot of air escapes around the sides of your nose when you exhale.

Maybe pick up some wraparound safety glasses while you're in the hardware store.
biggrin.gif
Having to ride into a cold, dry wind can practically blind you with tears.

Caden said:
I'll get this out of the way so you in Northern climates can poke fun at me for complaining: tomorrow will be my first commute on a day as cold as 38 degrees. I live in Austin. I have most everything layed out to protect everything (including my cold-sensitive ears - with a warm band-thingie around my head) except for my face. I thought about wearing a 3M mask used to protect against dust and stuff during home renovation projects. One of those paper filter dealies.

Anyone tried that? The hardest time I have in the cold is breathing in the cold air and my nose and ears hurting. The cold air makes my throat hurt pretty bad. I know I'd look crazy riding with a 3M mask, but if it kept the wind off...
I am from Texas but currently live in another southern state and have been riding in the cooler tempatures.

If you're in Austin you are probably riding through rolling hills and may find that a mask inhibits your effort up hill.

I wear a PI ski mask type covering and find that my mouth being covered inhibits my breathing more than the rush of cold air, particularly riding uphill, however I pull the mask over my mouth before descending a hill. The rush of cool air in my lungs is harsh.

Hi

I agree with a previous poster who says that at 38F you won't need to wear any protection on your face. I was out riding on the weekend here in Toronto at those kind of temperatures (maybe a little less), and no face protection was needed.

I wore a Lifa long underwear top (this is some old polypropelene stuff I had from years ago that I used to wear for cross country skiing), a long sleeve cycling shirt, and a cycling jacket (I have the Pearl Izumi Gavia jacket). On my legs I had my shorts and some Louis Garneau tights. I had some Pearl Izumi booties (not the neoprene ones), some thinsulate gloves (not cycling specific ones), and one of those little head cover things that you wear under your helment.

I felt pretty cold while standing around; however, once we started riding we warmed up nicely. I reckon I could wear exactly the same stuff and still be okay for temperatures slightly below freezing. Beyond that, I would need another layer, but if there is ice and snow on the road, I'll be staying inside.

Very few skiers wear anything over our mouths till the temps hit single digits [farenheit]. Too many moisture issues.

However, the synthetic 'buffs' sold by Sahalie [and many others] are nice and light, stretchy enough that they can be worn around the neck, as a hat, or configured half a dozen ways to offer some facial warmth.

Xsmoker said:
I really don't think you'll need anything over your mouth and nose at 38 degs.
Yup. Just wear a good hat that can cover your ears or half your ears. I like the Alpine Har made out of Windstopper by Outdoor Research.

Having had plenty of us more Northerly types poke fun at you, if you need something to protect your face while riding, I would recommend a balaclava. I don't know if any of the bike shops in Austin will carry them, but a lot of online shops like Performance should have them. They come in varying thicknesses.

Ear protection, warm gloves, and booties over your shoes. Full length knee warmers and long sleeves of course.

Hmm... I actually never use anything to protect my face and I work out 1-2 hours wintertime around Stockholm, Sweden as low as -15C/5F. My experience is that feet is the most hard thing to keep warm, especially with spd-shoes (I use Shimanos winter gore tex shoes with wool socks and neopren covers). Hands and ears/head also need special attention at those kind of temperatures but seriously, at 3C/38F I don´t even use long johns under my trousers when cyckling 7 km/4,4 miles one way to work..?

What I have bought is a "Buff", but I have never used it as a facemask (beanie and scarf only):

Buff_how_to_wear.jpg