Protecting my Seat!

SvenDH

Oct 6, 2011
Hello everyone, I just had the urge to tell everyone I knew about these bike seat covers. I just bought a new Selle Italia and i've just been doing what I always do and put a grocery bag on it, but I started getting paranoid the sun and water were getting in. I searched everywhere and I found the solution. This small company roguewolfsports.com has these awesome waterproof, sunproof neoprene seat covers. Now I don't ever have to worrie about my $300 dollar seat getting drenched in the rain or burnt up from the sun for 15 bucks! They even make custom ones! the website is a little hard to navigate but they sent it really quick. This is the cheapest purchase i've ever made for my bike but I honestly think it was the best. Seriously just go check it out, such a cool, simple, cheap idea.

Not sure about "$300 dollar seats", but bicycle saddles are designed for outdoor use. Sun and rain will not destroy a bicycle saddle.

My saddle is protected by my **** for free. Just check out my mug shot! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

There are many seats that exceed $500 and I cant think of anything in the world that can be left out in the elements and not break down. I only use it when I transport my bike on the rack. And thats all I see are people with trash bags taped to their seats when I drive, i'm sure they don't have those for a fashion statement.

Originally Posted by SvenDH .

There are many seats that exceed $500 and I cant think of anything in the world that can be left out in the elements and not break down. I only use it when I transport my bike on the rack. And thats all I see are people with trash bags taped to their seats when I drive, i'm sure they don't have those for a fashion statement.
Wow. "Many seats that exceed $500". Uh-huh. Right. Such seats would have to be CF seats, and it's not like there are "many" when compared to all seats produced. It is funny that your first post is about some "cool product" that you just had to let everyone know about. Alas, there is a reason that people don't use seat covers to protect their seats: uhm, it's because it's not necessary. Simple.

I'm sorry, I was excited about a new product that I purchased and wanted to share it with everyone. I don't understand why everyone feels the need to prove me wrong in some way. If all this is true than someone please explain to me why I see so many people on the road with trash bags covering their seats on really nice bikes. Are they ashamed by the way their seats look?

10 cent plastic bag taped to seats vs a $15 fashion statement...hmmmmmmmmm...I'll take the 10 cent trash bag. Can't recall ever seeing a $500 seat in real life, not saying there may be one of two out there for that price; Brooks has a few limited edition seats for close to that price, but if only a 100 are being made for the entire world I doubt I'll be seeing one.

I've seen people put a back on their seat when their bike is on the back of the car - but that's to keep the bug splatter to a minimum. That I can understand...

... I don't recall ever seeing a road bike with a plastic bag on a saddle while it's being ridden

For long trips when the bike is exposed, I use the free plastic bags from the grocery to protect the seat from rain and road grime. Just put a bagover the seat, tie around the seatpost and knot the ends. Double bag for long trips, or if rain is expected in route. Guess I'm not one for "fashion statements", would rather re-purpose something free.

Finally I get some people that don't honestly believe that saddles aren't made of some sort of indestructible material that will never be affected by the elements. I never said I bought the cover for a fashion statement, it's the convenience and simplicity. It takes me 2 seconds to slip it on and I dont ever have to worry about there being a hole in it for water to get in or it slipping off and getting a huge littering fine or killing the planet. I don't think i've evr heard of a plastic bag costing 10 cents, my grocery store usually gives them to me for free.

Finally I get some people that don't honestly believe that saddles aren't made of some sort of indestructible material that will never be affected by the elements. I never said I bought the cover for a fashion statement, it's the convenience and simplicity. It takes me 2 seconds to slip it on and I dont ever have to worry about there being a hole in it for water to get in or it slipping off and getting a huge littering fine or killing the planet. I don't think i've evr heard of a plastic bag costing 10 cents, my grocery store usually gives them to me for free.
Who said saddles are indestructible? No one did. There are a lot of folks who don't believe and actually have the experience to back up the idea that saddles don't decompose and wilt at the slightest hint of exposure to the elements, your massive knowledge of saddle lifetime and wear characteristics notwithstanding.

There are a couple people who said that saddles are "made for the outdoors" and "It's not necessary" to protect it, which I think one of those was your input. So now you are retracting your statement? Obviously I know that no one actually used the exact word "indestructible". Everyone seems to be saying the same thing over and over again. Let me break out my crayons and color it out in a language you may understand. You buy $500 car, where do you park it? Answer: Outside. You buy a $100,000 do you still leave it outside? Answer: No, in a garage or under a "car cover". And why? A $100,000 car has a much better and much longer lasting, higher quality paint. So why would you try and keep it out of the weather? It's called an analogy, let's try and not take everything anyone says so literally.

There are a couple people who said that saddles are "made for the outdoors" and "It's not necessary" to protect it, which I think one of those was your input. So now you are retracting your statement? Obviously I know that no one actually used the exact word "indestructible". Everyone seems to be saying the same thing over and over again. Let me break out my crayons and color it out in a language you may understand. You buy $500 car, where do you park it? Answer: Outside. You buy a $100,000 do you still leave it outside? Answer: No, in a garage or under a "car cover". And why? A $100,000 car has a much better and much longer lasting, higher quality paint. So why would you try and keep it out of the weather? It's called an analogy, let's try and not take everything anyone says so literally.
No, I'm not retracting any statements. I'll say at again in different words: your ideas about saddle cost are inflated and at times stupid; saddles covers are not necessary; most people don't use them; your analogy is painfully irrelevant; and your first contribution to the forum is not even an introduction but is a post whoring a product. Way to go. There is no doubt your vast experience has taught you exactly at what rates different saddles break down, but alas, none of that knowledge is on display.

$500 saddle? What a joke.

Addendum: Looking into the Rogue Wolf Sports website, there is a paucity of information about Rogue Wolf Sports to be found. No address or names are given, so there's some reason to have doubts about the company and customer service. They do, though, claim to be an "unrivaled force in challenging the mundane." I guess putting a wolf outline on a bit of neoprene is what counts for challenging the mundane these days. Oh, then there's the shocking video that not only challenges the mundane but fires hot rays of non-mundanity at it. I can only imagine the response of not only the saddle manufacturers but also the cycling world in general to this shockwave sent through their worlds.

Joined yesterday - Shill much?

I have never covered my saddles. They get plenty wet from my sweat during a ride; why should I worry about them getting rained on?

The only areas that have worn out are in the nose of the saddle where my thighs rub - not due to the elements.

Originally Posted by maydog .

Joined yesterday - Shill much?

I have never covered my saddles. They get plenty wet from my sweat during a ride; why should I worry about them getting rained on?

The only areas that have worn out are in the nose of the saddle where my thighs rub - not due to the elements.

I knew that, that's why I was giving him such a hard time. He's definitely either the owner or heavily involved because he was trying to sell it too hard. Problem with this company is they won't make it far because the sales tactics are extremely amateur, I can't imagine what the marketing is like. They need to attend a sales training seminar, or go to a Zig Ziglar conference, or take some marketing classes. Because he ran into the fact here that every sale has five basic obstacles: no need, no money, no hurry, no desire, no trust; and he had no answer for either.

I spent 15 seconds designing a saddle cover that's impervious to wind, rain and snow. It's not biodegradable, so for all intents and purposes you can leave your $1,234,567 saddle outside until the end of civilisation - but I'm guessing if you leave a bike worth that much outside it'll be stolen before then so you'll no longer care.

Easily customisable to the nth degree.

For my Specialized Venge, if/when, I get one and my SMP saddle.

For the touring guys, you can fit any size of saddle bag under the seat protector - even a big Karrimoor or Carradice bag that'll take in two weeks of clothes and lots of cans and bottles for when life gets really bad and you end up sleeping under a bridge. When things get that bad you can sell your fancy saddle and use it to buy crack/meth and paint thinners/cheap whisky.

Reactions: jpr95
I promise that when I buy a $500 saddle I will also buy one of those covers.

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

I spent 15 seconds designing a saddle cover that's impervious to wind, rain and snow. It's not biodegradable, so for all intents and purposes you can leave your $1,234,567 saddle outside until the end of civilisation - but I'm guessing if you leave a bike worth that much outside it'll be stolen before then so you'll no longer care.

Easily customisable to the nth degree.

For my Specialized Venge, if/when, I get one and my SMP saddle.

For the touring guys, you can fit any size of saddle bag under the seat protector - even a big Karrimoor or Carradice bag that'll take in two weeks of clothes and lots of cans and bottles for when life gets really bad and you end up sleeping under a bridge. When things get that bad you can sell your fancy saddle and use it to buy crack/meth and paint thinners/cheap whisky.
Can I give you $15 for that?

For $15 you get the whole kit.

- 100 used plastic bags saddle covers.
- 1 sharpie.
- Swampy's guide to pissing off the neighbors with tasteless saddle cover designs. Not UCI approved (due to it being beyond the comprehension of sh1t fer brains "cow pat" McQuaid.
- bonus feature for the first 35,000 who order before 1:00am: How to used your plastic bags saddle cover to save your ass in adverse weather.

Lets see Wolf 'n Co. Saddle covers save your hiney when you're in the mountains and the temps drop quickly from 80F to 45 and you get pelted with hail.

Swampy's saddle covers > Life > turds> Saddle covers with wolves on.

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

For $15 you get the whole kit.

- 100 used plastic bags saddle covers.
- 1 sharpie.
- Swampy's guide to pissing off the neighbors with tasteless saddle cover designs. Not UCI approved (due to it being beyond the comprehension of sh1t fer brains "cow pat" McQuaid.
- bonus feature for the first 35,000 who order before 1:00am: How to used your plastic bags saddle cover to save your ass in adverse weather.

Lets see Wolf 'n Co. Saddle covers save your hiney when you're in the mountains and the temps drop quickly from 80F to 45 and you get pelted with hail.

Swampy's saddle covers > Life > turds> Saddle covers with wolves on.

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif