protecting thumb and wrists

Allan Adler

Guest
I took my bike out a couple of weeks ago. While I was riding, I found that there was so much weight
on my wrists that they hurt. Apparently, I was also resting on the ball of my thumb, since that
still hurts whenever I rest it on the handlebars. The handlebars are the short horizontal type,
since I don't like having to lean forward for the curl-under type. But they still require me to lean
forward to pedal. I don't know whether I'd be more comfortable with the kind of handlebars that
curve back towards me but which stay on top, so I don't have to lean forward. I'm sure there are
technical terms for these various types but I don't know them.

Independently of the handlebars, I'm wondering whether there are standard ways to protect my wrists
and thumb, e.g. some kind of gloves or supports, or some other adjustments. Anyone know?

Ignorantly, Allan Adler [email protected]

* *
* Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT Artificial *
* Intelligence Lab. My actions and comments do not reflect *
* in any way on MIT. Moreover, I am nowhere near the Boston *
* metropolitan area. *
* *

In article <[email protected]>, Allan Adler <[email protected]> writes:

> I took my bike out a couple of weeks ago. While I was riding, I found that there was so much
> weight on my wrists that they hurt. Apparently, I was also resting on the ball of my thumb,
> since that still hurts whenever I rest it on the handlebars. The handlebars are the short
> horizontal type

I think this might be more of a posture issue, than one of how well the bicycle "fits" you, since
you mention you're still having to lean somewhat forward (which is actually a good thing.)

If you find your wrists are bending backward while riding, lift 'em a bit, and your back too, while
keeping your elbows loose. Perk up. Adjusting the saddle height up or down might make things more
comfortable.

At least, see what a perkier riding posture does, before spending money on other stuff.

cheers, & still recalling my mom's plaintive nag: "Stop slouching!", Tom