Protection against dogs

Another shout that works is "Go Home!". I have had dogs stop at that command, then walk off rather
sheepishly.

Chuck Anderson wrote:

> * As a side note, and to maybe alter this thread. How many people have actually been injured in a
> dog encounter? Can we hear those stories? Is the fear well founded?

The fear is well founded. According to the book _Effective Cycling_ by Forester, bike-dog crashes
are the cause of 8% of all accidents to club cyclists, and (accoriding to my notes, sorry, no
source) 10% of all serious crashes.

My son was bitten while riding, on both legs, badly enough to get infected and require
doctor's care.

One friend of mine was knocked off his bike twice, once by a friendly puppy just running along,
another time by a dog which was attacking him. Both crashes involved injury (not serious,
fortunately) and considerable expense - for example, a ruined wheel, a ruined watch, some
ruined clothing.

Yet another friend was badly bitten while riding just two years ago.

I've never been bitten, but I'm very aggressive toward attacking dogs. I've stopped a charging St.
Bernard in mid-leap. If I hadn't connected with that side kick, I'm sure I would have gone down.

This isn't an imaginary issue. In my experience, dogs can be handled, but it takes preparation,
confidence, and some aggression.

--
Frank Krygowski [email protected]

Chuck Anderson <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> * As a side note, and to maybe alter this thread. How many people have actually been injured in a
> dog encounter? Can we hear those stories? Is the fear well founded?

Yes.

A couple of years ago a dog running towards me swerved across may path too late for me to avoid it.

I hid said dog and somersaulted forwards, landing more or less on my back. After picking myself up
off the floor and inspecting damage (shoulder, arm and back of head, torn shirt) I looked over the
bike. Forks/wheel OK, BUT both top tube and down tube severly bent about 3 inches from head tube.

I have been very wary of dogs and worn a helmet since.

Dogs certainly can be a serious menace.

(In other animal encounters I have been knocked off by a deer, but at very low speed as I was
breaking to give it room at the time no real damage, just fur stuck on the chainwheel - what about
sheep, didn't Chris Boardman hit a sheep in the Tour of Britain (or was it a TdF stage in Britain?)
a few years ago?)

I have not had a whole lot of encounters with dogs, but when I do I squirt water at them. I have yet
to see a dog that doesn't run from the water. Not saying it always works just that in my experience
it always has so far.

Doug