Protection against dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another shout that works is "Go Home!". I have had dogs stop at that command, then walk off rather
sheepishly.

David Kunz wrote:
>
> Chuck Anderson wrote: ...
> > * As a side note, and to maybe alter this thread. How many people have actually been injured in
> > a dog encounter? Can we hear those stories? Is the fear well founded?
>
> I've been pretty lucky. The only dog that acutally bit me didn't get a good hold and only left big
> welts in my ankle. I went yelling at some people near-by demanding to know who the owner was and
> they claimed not to know (yea). BUT, the next time that I saw that dog, they had put up an
> electronic (radio) fence :).
>
> I get lots of dogs that I'm sure are going to bite me, but since I started with the NO... BAD
> DOG!, I've had less of a problem. I've tried the friendship thing and it only works for some dogs
> -- didn't work for the one that bit me. I haven't tried "get off the couch" -- ROTFLAMO!
>
> My other close calls are the darting ones that want to play by getting in your way <sigh>. I hope
> that I never connect with one.
>
> David

Chuck Anderson wrote:
>
> * As a side note, and to maybe alter this thread. How many people have actually been injured in a
> dog encounter? Can we hear those stories? Is the fear well founded?

The fear is well founded. According to the book _Effective Cycling_ by Forester, bike-dog crashes
are the cause of 8% of all accidents to club cyclists, and (accoriding to my notes, sorry, no
source) 10% of all serious crashes.

My son was bitten while riding, on both legs, badly enough to get infected and require
doctor's care.

One friend of mine was knocked off his bike twice, once by a friendly puppy just running along,
another time by a dog which was attacking him. Both crashes involved injury (not serious,
fortunately) and considerable expense - for example, a ruined wheel, a ruined watch, some
ruined clothing.

Yet another friend was badly bitten while riding just two years ago.

I've never been bitten, but I'm very aggressive toward attacking dogs. I've stopped a charging St.
Bernard in mid-leap. If I hadn't connected with that side kick, I'm sure I would have gone down.

This isn't an imaginary issue. In my experience, dogs can be handled, but it takes preparation,
confidence, and some aggression.

--
Frank Krygowski [email protected]

Chuck Anderson <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> * As a side note, and to maybe alter this thread. How many people have actually been injured in a
> dog encounter? Can we hear those stories? Is the fear well founded?

Yes.

A couple of years ago a dog running towards me swerved across may path too late for me to avoid it.

I hid said dog and somersaulted forwards, landing more or less on my back. After picking myself up
off the floor and inspecting damage (shoulder, arm and back of head, torn shirt) I looked over the
bike. Forks/wheel OK, BUT both top tube and down tube severly bent about 3 inches from head tube.

I have been very wary of dogs and worn a helmet since.

Dogs certainly can be a serious menace.

(In other animal encounters I have been knocked off by a deer, but at very low speed as I was
breaking to give it room at the time no real damage, just fur stuck on the chainwheel - what about
sheep, didn't Chris Boardman hit a sheep in the Tour of Britain (or was it a TdF stage in Britain?)
a few years ago?)

I have not had a whole lot of encounters with dogs, but when I do I squirt water at them. I have yet
to see a dog that doesn't run from the water. Not saying it always works just that in my experience
it always has so far.

Doug

> >
> >
> > If you are looking for something that is cheap and very effective, ammonia spray works well.
> > Ordinary household ammonia, dispensed from a hand pump bottle (the kind that can shoot a good
> > stream), will stop a dog if you hit it anywhere in the face.
> >
> > Steve Shapiro
>
> My previos posting seems cold hearted upon re-read. Actually, I love dogs and my preference is not
> to hurt them. I would try first to run or brandish my frame pump. I'd use the amonia if the other
> methods failed. Steve Shapiro

Status
Not open for further replies.