Protective Hip Pad for Bruised Outer Thigh?

jmgradon

Oct 24, 2003
I took my first tumble ever biking on the Outer Banks. I was slowly turning around on a dead end road when the front wheel hit some sand and I went over before I could get out of my clipless pedal. I fell directly on my greater trochanter (the boney prominance on the side of your upper outer thigh) and the bursa surrounding it is quite inflamed. It does not affect my biking but I am concerned that if I fall again before it heals (however unlikely that may seem) I may really screw it up. Can anyone recommend some kind of padding I could use to protect that area of my outer thigh?

jmgradon said:
I took my first tumble ever biking on the Outer Banks. I was slowly turning around on a dead end road when the front wheel hit some sand and I went over before I could get out of my clipless pedal. I fell directly on my greater trochanter (the boney prominance on the side of your upper outer thigh) and the bursa surrounding it is quite inflamed. It does not affect my biking but I am concerned that if I fall again before it heals (however unlikely that may seem) I may really screw it up. Can anyone recommend some kind of padding I could use to protect that area of my outer thigh?
  • BMX armour ...
  • hockey "pads" ...
  • cut a "custom" pad from a NON-ensolite, microcell sleeping pad & cut an outer shell from a plastic, liquid laundry detergent jug (or possibly, a 2 Liter soda bottle) -- wear this UNDER your shorts.