Protein alternatives?

stealth71

Jun 16, 2007
First off, I have lurked on this forum for several months, but this is my first official post, so I want to say hello to everyone and thank those of you who have unknowingly helped me with a few questions. I got into cycling last fall mainly to drop some weight. I was in terrible shape, 210 pounds, 5'11", size 41 jeans, etc. Now I'm a lean 160 and size 32 jeans. I didn't expect the weight to come off that fast. I'm not sure where I'm going with this new enthusiasm for cycling. As I said, I started riding to lost weight, but I'm having so much fun I'm almost considering riding competitively at some pont in the future.

I'm still learning, but I have a nutrition question. From what I have gathered, I need about 120-150 grams of protein a day. I eat a lot of protein-rich foods, but it's still coming up a little short. Protein shakes would be ideal for me. I have this protein shake mix called Ultramet. Tastes great. I used to make up a chocolate shake to take to work every day. The problem is, if I drink protein shakes, I feel like I'm passing a brick when I go to the bathroom. :eek: So, I quit the protein shakes for the time being until I can find an alternative brand or something. Too bad. They really were good.

Is it just me, or are there others out there who have a hard time with protein powders and shakes? Are there alternative brands or formulations that are easier on the digestive system. I'm curious what the rest of you use. On the other hand, I'm also open to the idea that I may be getting enough protein as it is. If it helps, I'm riding about 200-250 miles a week, or 1-3 hours a day. Just a rough guess looking at my graphs, but it looks like I'm getting 80-90 grams of protein a day right now.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Protein only lasts a short period of time, so you in addition to how many grams, you need to spread the intake over the day to maximise its effect. An ideal target would be 30gms 6 times a day, but is a little hard to acheive. The way to do this is to ensure that your 3 meals a day contain protein and then additionally have a snack containing protein mid morning, mid afternoon and just before you go to bed.

Hope this helps, Mike.

Thanks to both of you for the reply's. Matagi, I appreciate the protein download, lot's of information there.

Mike, spreading that protein intake out throughout the day sounds like a plan. But would 180 grams (30g x 6) be too much for me? I've heard too much can be a bad thing.

Chris

I wouldn't personally look to red meat as the best source. Certainly it contains protein but it contains a number of other things you're probably better off without.

I'm curious as to what kind of personal work you've done to determine that you ride better if you consume more protein. I keep seeing this and it seems to agree with what I hear anecdotally from those who want to build bulk muscle, but not with the results of several studies on protein needs. I find it hard to believe that an infant can get by at a time when it's growing faster than it ever will again, on breast milk containing only 5% protein, but that when we try to build some muscle later in life, we need to boost that to 20%, 25%, 30% or more.

There seems to be a lot of information which suggests that over-consumption of protein leads to loss of skeletal strength because the body uses calcium to offset the changes in blood pH caused by heavy protein consumption. From health data, it seems to me that osteoporosis is a much bigger problem in developed countries than is protein deficiency. I'm not even familiar with an actual case of protein deficiency except for in those suffering from eating disorders. Is it possible that all of that protein isn't really necessary, isn't beneficial and might even be detrimental in the long run?

180gms is fine, but you can decide. Just divide the amount of protein you want by 6, spreading it over 3 hour intervals is more important.

I really like Optimum Nutrition Pro Complex protein powder. 55 grams of protein per serving, or cut the serving size to spread it out over two or more servings. I've never experienced any digestive problems with it, it tastes good, and it's easy to find.

ilmooz said:
I really like Optimum Nutrition Pro Complex protein powder. 55 grams of protein per serving, or cut the serving size to spread it out over two or more servings. I've never experienced any digestive problems with it, it tastes good, and it's easy to find.
Unless you are really huge, 55gms is more than your body can process in one hit. Better to have a smaller portion and spread it over the day.

I'm interested in the stuff, have you got a link?

Eggs. I love 'm. In the morning I boil up 6. I fish 3 out of the boil after 3 min, and mash them onto some toast. I let the other 3 boil for 5 min, then fish them into some cold water, take them to work and keep them in the fridge. I peel the shell off them and gobble them up. I chop them into salads. I chop them with low fat mayo and spread them onto grainy bread. I never tire of them.

Eggs. They're tops.

W
gravelmuncher said:
Eggs. I love 'm. In the morning I boil up 6. I fish 3 out of the boil after 3 min, and mash them onto some toast. I let the other 3 boil for 5 min, then fish them into some cold water, take them to work and keep them in the fridge. I peel the shell off them and gobble them up. I chop them into salads. I chop them with low fat mayo and spread them onto grainy bread. I never tire of them.

Eggs. They're tops.
What about fresh eggs?

myglyco said:
WWhat about fresh eggs?
The single most concentrated source of cholesterol in the human diet? Since a single medium sized egg can contain 218mg of cholesterol in the yoke, I personally would choose other options.

In studies on atherosclerosis, animals are often fed a diet rich in cholesterol to cause them to develop atherosclerotic build-up. Some studies use the addition of egg yoke to the diet to promote the atherosclerosis (a precursor to heart attack, stroke and erectile dysfunction.)

Beastt said:
I find it hard to believe that an infant can get by at a time when it's growing faster than it ever will again, on breast milk containing only 5% protein, but that when we try to build some muscle later in life, we need to boost that to 20%, 25%, 30% or more.
That's not really a valid comparison.

Babies consume large volumes of breast milk as a % of their total body mass or total body water. Adults consume more solids, less liquids.

Thus - to compare, you'd need to calculate how many grams of proteins a baby consumes (as a % of their weight) rather than just the % of protein in breast milk.

In addition, if you (as an adult) tried to survive on breast milk alone, you'd become deficient in various nutrients.

patch70 said:
That's not really a valid comparison.

Babies consume large volumes of breast milk as a % of their total body mass or total body water. Adults consume more solids, less liquids.

Thus - to compare, you'd need to calculate how many grams of proteins a baby consumes (as a % of their weight) rather than just the % of protein in breast milk.

In addition, if you (as an adult) tried to survive on breast milk alone, you'd become deficient in various nutrients.
But not protein.

Back to the rock hard doggy dump issue: Why not add some fiber to that protein? Have a piece of fruit. Or if it's gotta be in shake form, get a powder like Metamucil to add to your protein powder.

Just don't bust a hernia straining!

Beastt said:
But not protein.
Perhaps you missed the point.

A 5kg baby consumes about 5 x 250 ml of breast milk per day. Breast milk contains roughly 4 - 5 g of protein per 100 ml.

Thus the 5 kg baby consumes about 40 grams of protein per day. That is about 8 g per kg of body weight. i.e. much more than adults who generally have 0.5 - 2 g per kg.

So your argument about breast milk being only 5% protein is not a valid argument.

If your worried about the cholesterol then eat the whites and not the yokes

The cholesterol in eggs is what some nutritionists refer to as "good cholesterol". They claim that the cholesterol consumed through eggs in the diet actually reduces the amount of cholesterol produced by the body. It is the cholesterol produced by the body that blocks arteries. Just as there is good fat and bad fat, the introduction of soft cholesterol to the system of a healthy individual as a part of a balanced diet is beneficial in controlling healthy cholesterol levels.

I eat eggs every day and have done so since I was a kid. I have had my cholesterol levels tested a couple of times in the past few years, and each time have fallen well within the healthiest range. As for the quality of the protien - apparently the only form of protien more beneficial to the human body than that found in eggs, is that of which is contained within human flesh. Since the consumtion of human flesh is generally frowned upon in most societies, eggs prove to be a far more user-friendly option.

BeneFiber is a brand of fiber supplement powder which mixes well without any gritty residue, though you have to give your protein bottle a shake before you drink.

gravelmuncher said:
The cholesterol in eggs is what some nutritionists refer to as "good cholesterol". They claim that the cholesterol consumed through eggs in the diet actually reduces the amount of cholesterol produced by the body. It is the cholesterol produced by the body that blocks arteries. Just as there is good fat and bad fat, the introduction of soft cholesterol to the system of a healthy individual as a part of a balanced diet is beneficial in controlling healthy cholesterol levels.

I eat eggs every day and have done so since I was a kid. I have had my cholesterol levels tested a couple of times in the past few years, and each time have fallen well within the healthiest range. As for the quality of the protien - apparently the only form of protien more beneficial to the human body than that found in eggs, is that of which is contained within human flesh. Since the consumtion of human flesh is generally frowned upon in most societies, eggs prove to be a far more user-friendly option.
Good point, you don't get cholesterol from eating cholesterol