Protein alternatives?

Here is what I suggest if you sense a need for more and different proteins:
eat some of the following, or something similar.

(fyi - amino acids are the building blocks of proteins, and by eating large amounts of them you can do better workouts/races/whatever. Just make sure you use them in moderation and not as a substitute for all of your protein needs.)

http://www.gnc.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2173639&cp=2108321&view=all

Japheth

Beastt said:
And like it or not, when such a process is utilized, humans fit squarely within the monogastric herbivore category.
I can't be bothered arguing this ridiculous point with you again, but would like to ask you a different question.

Are you as evangelical about your religion as you are about your diet?

The "evidence" you keep producing is about on the same level of evidence as a preacher telling his/her flock that religion X is the only path to enlightenment.

There is just as much low level evidence refuting what you believe but you choose to ignore that and only mention the low level evidence that suits your point.

So rather than trying to force everyone to follow your religious belief that protein is the work of the devil and vegetarianism the path to God, why not just accept that this is just a belief rather than an immaculate truth? Sure it suits you, but that doesn't mean everyone else has to worship at your temple.

Even if you continue this diet for ever, you will still die too. And if it is so right, why is it damn near impossible for an adult female to go through a pregnancy and 6 - 12 months of breast feeding and not become severely deficient in iron when following it? Why do even careful vegetarians still frequently need supplementation in iron or B12?

Japheth said:

Japheth

(fyi - amino acids are the building blocks of proteins, and by eating large amounts of them you can do better workouts/races/whatever. Just make sure you use them in moderation and not as a substitute for all of your protein needs.)

I think there may be some confusion. The body has a limit when it comes to how much of any given nutrient it can utilize. That's why people choking down supplemental calcium still end up with osteoporosis if they eat too much protein on a continual basis. No matter how much calcium you ingest, your body can only assimilate a small amount. And the same holds true for protein. If you eat less protein than your body can use, then recovery, rebuilding tissues and forming new tissues will be retarded. But there is a limit as to how much protein your body can use. If you exceed that limit, you're not going to build tissues faster, you're just going to deplete your skeletal system of calcium, stress the lumen in your kidneys and urinate away the extra protein. And study after study has concluded that 98% of the population are unable to utilize more than 10% of their recommended caloric intake as protein.

The body is designed to get the protein in bursts, 2.2g per kilo of lean body weight (subtract the fat), divide it by 6 and have it every 3 hours.

Japheth said:

Japheth
I think the specific amino pills are targeted at specific purposes, not just sports nutrition. For example, Arginine is supposed to help with ED, and Lysine is supposed to support herpes patients somehow. There's really nothing in there which an athlete couldn't get elsewhere, even if it's from a concentrated protein powder like soy or whey (milk). You're better off, in fact, with balanced protein.

Beastt said:
And study after study has concluded that 98% of the population are unable to utilize more than 10% of their recommended caloric intake as protein.
That should read "poorly designed study after poorly designed study". And as usual you are ignoring the other equally poorly designed studies that cntradict this.

This is not to say that it is not true, just that you cannot say this is currently "based on evidence". If you do, then either you are being deceitful or incorrect.

Beastt said:
I think there may be some confusion. The body has a limit when it comes to how much of any given nutrient it can utilize. That's why people choking down supplemental calcium still end up with osteoporosis if they eat too much protein on a continual basis. No matter how much calcium you ingest, your body can only assimilate a small amount. And the same holds true for protein. If you eat less protein than your body can use, then recovery, rebuilding tissues and forming new tissues will be retarded. But there is a limit as to how much protein your body can use. If you exceed that limit, you're not going to build tissues faster, you're just going to deplete your skeletal system of calcium, stress the lumen in your kidneys and urinate away the extra protein. And study after study has concluded that 98% of the population are unable to utilize more than 10% of their recommended caloric intake as protein.
Have you got a link that backs up that claim, I'm interested in reading it - thanks.

gravelmuncher said:
I have had my cholesterol levels tested a couple of times in the past few years, and each time have fallen well within the healthiest range.

The fact that you test your cholesterol level on a regular basis suggests that you are concerned about the effect six eggs a day will have on your body's cholesterol level. If you weren't concerned, why bother having it checked?

Best, WKB.

mikesbytes said:
Have you got a link that backs up that claim, I'm interested in reading it - thanks.
No single link. I did multiple searches and was never able to turn up a study which showed anyone who could actually utilize more than 10%. The only single source with multiple references I can provide at the moment is from a book which is becoming rather out-dated, (published in 1987), which shows the figures presented by the World Health Organization, The Food and Nutrition Board, and The National Research Council. Even after adding a 30% buffer, none of them show figures higher than 8% and two are lower showing 6% and 4½%.

Sometimes, as long as you're getting sufficient quantities, more isn't necessarily better.

Beastt said:
No single link. I did multiple searches and was never able to turn up a study which showed anyone who could actually utilize more than 10%. The only single source with multiple references I can provide at the moment is from a book which is becoming rather out-dated, (published in 1987), which shows the figures presented by the World Health Organization, The Food and Nutrition Board, and The National Research Council. Even after adding a 30% buffer, none of them show figures higher than 8% and two are lower showing 6% and 4½%.

Sometimes, as long as you're getting sufficient quantities, more isn't necessarily better.
So let's get this straight.

Apparently there is only 1 reference to back up your 10% statement yet nobody else can see it.

In "multiple searches", you cannot find any studies that confirm or deny your 10% statement.

Seems like probably it is not being studied at all. Thus, are you making this up?

WKB said:
The fact that you test your cholesterol level on a regular basis suggests that you are concerned about the effect six eggs a day will have on your body's cholesterol level. If you weren't concerned, why bother having it checked?

Best, WKB.

LOL...assumptions are such potent things. My cholesterol testing was voluntary on neither occasion. Both were conducted via compulsory medical assessment.

Since you asked... :rolleyes:

Beastt said:
Are you sure you're considering all of the factors when you conclude that they "work well"? If you're consuming unhealthy amounts of other nutrients and that's what is causing you to need to supplement your fiber, does the fiber make up for the over-consumption of other things? (Part of the answer to that is, "yes" but not all of it.)
I am mostly considering the fact that I don't have to strain when taking a dump. That is a pertinent measure in my book.

Your assumption that I am crowding out fiber with other foods is not valid.

jamesstout said:
apples are cheaper easier and tastier
They're not always as packable and convenient, especially if you commute by bike! Plus, it is possible to eat apples, salads, etc and still fall short of the RDA for fiber.

I am not so sure they're cheaper either.

you can pick them up at a shop anywhere and if they cost a lot get whatever is in season, it'll give you lots of micronutrients too
garage sale GT said:
They're not always as packable and convenient, especially if you commute by bike! Plus, it is possible to eat apples, salads, etc and still fall short of the RDA for fiber.

I am not so sure they're cheaper either.

jamesstout said:
you can pick them up at a shop anywhere and if they cost a lot get whatever is in season, it'll give you lots of micronutrients too
If you're gonna carry apples around you might as well carry a ham sandwich too. Which I do when I feel I can.

stealth71 said:
I'm still learning, but I have a nutrition question. From what I have gathered, I need about 120-150 grams of protein a day. I eat a lot of protein-rich foods, but it's still coming up a little short. Protein shakes would be ideal for me. I have this protein shake mix called Ultramet. Tastes great. I used to make up a chocolate shake to take to work every day. The problem is, if I drink protein shakes, I feel like I'm passing a brick when I go to the bathroom. :eek: So, I quit the protein shakes for the time being until I can find an alternative brand or something. Too bad. They really were good.
I don't believe you can't achieve 120g without shakes. Are you using your side dishes? While I do not believe the Vegan religion, some vegetable foods are high protein. Potatoes, peas, corn, bread, salads, broccoli-you'd probably achieve close to your target even if that's all you ate. Try nutritiondata.com.

However, sometimes it's good to have a powder especially if you are shooting for a specific ratio of carbs to protein to fat.

I don't remember where I saw it but I believe that eggs are more bioavailable when cooked, and it's a big enough difference to overcome the convenience of just sucking down a glassful.

BTW, I think chicken eggs frequently have some amount of salmonella but, like wool shearers being exposed to anthrax every day, there's just not enough to make you sick unless it is allowed to incubate, or your stomach acid is weak for some reason such as vomiting or other illness. Another reason it's best to cook them.

We used to think our closest evolutionary relatives, Chimpanzees, had evolved to be strictly monogastric herbivores until they were observed catching, tearing apart, and eating other animals.