protein before bed

What is absorbed more quickly, 12 grams of protein from cottage cheese
or 12 grams of protein from a combo of kidney beans and 2% milk?

clark

I have never weighed it- but I imagine it would be alot more than that
.....trickle you talk of!

Sorry..the thought of protein brings out the adolescent in

[email protected] wrote:
> What is absorbed more quickly, 12 grams of protein from cottage cheese
> or 12 grams of protein from a combo of kidney beans and 2% milk?

The short answer is: cottage cheese. Is that what you wanted to know?

(quote)
read say he sets his alarm clock for the middle of the night in order
to eat a meal and avoid that empty stomach /danger/?
As long as you have a **** in your ass ,Curt there will be no danger

"JMW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] wrote:
> > What is absorbed more quickly, 12 grams of protein from cottage cheese
> > or 12 grams of protein from a combo of kidney beans and 2% milk?

> The short answer is: cottage cheese. Is that what you wanted to know?

Casein or whey post-workout?

John wrote:
> "JMW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > [email protected] wrote:
> > > What is absorbed more quickly, 12 grams of protein from cottage cheese
> > > or 12 grams of protein from a combo of kidney beans and 2% milk?

> > The short answer is: cottage cheese. Is that what you wanted to know?

> Casein or whey post-workout?

It doesn't matter too much. What do I do? Whey + carbs immediately
before workout, and whey + carbs at the end of the workout; casein
(cottage cheese) sometime over the next few hours. It's not a precise
science. The ideal is to maintain (and pulse) the circulating pool of
amino acids over time. Casein breaks down into its constituent amino
acids and is absorbed into the blood stream more slowly than whey;
think of it as "timed release" amino acids.

"JMW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> John wrote:
> > "JMW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

cheese

> > > The short answer is: cottage cheese. Is that what you wanted to know?

> > Casein or whey post-workout?

> It doesn't matter too much. What do I do? Whey + carbs immediately
> before workout, and whey + carbs at the end of the workout; casein
> (cottage cheese) sometime over the next few hours. It's not a precise
> science. The ideal is to maintain (and pulse) the circulating pool of
> amino acids over time. Casein breaks down into its constituent amino
> acids and is absorbed into the blood stream more slowly than whey;
> think of it as "timed release" amino acids.

So in theory, casein prior to workout, so there's a constant supply of
protein? Kind of like complex carbs prior to?

"John" <[email protected]> wrote:
>"JMW" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> John wrote:
>> > "JMW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> > news:[email protected]...

>> > Casein or whey post-workout?

>> It doesn't matter too much. What do I do? Whey + carbs immediately
>> before workout, and whey + carbs at the end of the workout; casein
>> (cottage cheese) sometime over the next few hours. It's not a precise
>> science. The ideal is to maintain (and pulse) the circulating pool of
>> amino acids over time. Casein breaks down into its constituent amino
>> acids and is absorbed into the blood stream more slowly than whey;
>> think of it as "timed release" amino acids.

>So in theory, casein prior to workout, so there's a constant supply of
>protein?

Whey is probably better before workout to provide immediate
availability. Even whey takes a little while to break down in the gut
and disperse. Here's what most would consider the official word on
the subject: http://tinyurl.com/a8we3

>Kind of like complex carbs prior to?

Not complex carbs. Simple sugars. Some feel obliged to use glucose
or dextrose or maltodextrin, but sucrose (table sugar) or a fruit
drink containing high-fructose corn syrup will work just fine.

"JMW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "John" <[email protected]> wrote:

know?

> >> It doesn't matter too much. What do I do? Whey + carbs immediately
> >> before workout, and whey + carbs at the end of the workout; casein
> >> (cottage cheese) sometime over the next few hours. It's not a precise
> >> science. The ideal is to maintain (and pulse) the circulating pool of
> >> amino acids over time. Casein breaks down into its constituent amino
> >> acids and is absorbed into the blood stream more slowly than whey;
> >> think of it as "timed release" amino acids.

> >So in theory, casein prior to workout, so there's a constant supply of
> >protein?

> Whey is probably better before workout to provide immediate
> availability. Even whey takes a little while to break down in the gut
> and disperse. Here's what most would consider the official word on
> the subject: http://tinyurl.com/a8we3
>
> >Kind of like complex carbs prior to?

> Not complex carbs. Simple sugars. Some feel obliged to use glucose
> or dextrose or maltodextrin, but sucrose (table sugar) or a fruit
> drink containing high-fructose corn syrup will work just fine.

I usually eat 1 cup of steel cut oatmeal and a couple eggs, or a serving of
Cytogainer (mmmmm, mmmmmm, mmmmm) about 45 min. prior to working out. I
drink a can of Coke (I know, I know) on my way home, then drink a protein
shake as soon as I get home (about 15 min.).

"John" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"JMW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...

>know?

>> >So in theory, casein prior to workout, so there's a constant supply of
>> >protein?

>> Whey is probably better before workout to provide immediate
>> availability. Even whey takes a little while to break down in the gut
>> and disperse. Here's what most would consider the official word on
>> the subject: http://tinyurl.com/a8we3
>>
>> >Kind of like complex carbs prior to?

>> Not complex carbs. Simple sugars. Some feel obliged to use glucose
>> or dextrose or maltodextrin, but sucrose (table sugar) or a fruit
>> drink containing high-fructose corn syrup will work just fine.

>I usually eat 1 cup of steel cut oatmeal and a couple eggs, or a serving of
>Cytogainer (mmmmm, mmmmmm, mmmmm) about 45 min. prior to working out. I
>drink a can of Coke (I know, I know) on my way home, then drink a protein
>shake as soon as I get home (about 15 min.).

Close enough.

Curt James <[email protected]> wrote:
> Take one change at a time - just as working on a machine that's not
> functioning as you'd like - test one variable at a time and see what
> actually works in assisting you or helping you achieve your goals.

If changing one variable at a time actually worked, we'd put the whole
field of Operations Research out of business! Try to optimize muscle
mass by tweaking the amount of exercise here -
http://home.nc.rr.com/netsink/xyz.jpg
(starting at the left)

Curt James wrote:

> Because some get their jollies or enjoy offering the DEconstructive
> non-answer rather than remaining silent.
>
> I missed your initial post, but I'll offer a half-assed reply without
> having all the facts (HEY, IT CAN BE NO WORSE THAN WHAT YOU'VE
> OBVIOUSLY RECEIVED SO FAR, RIGHT?):

Aw, come on, that was a funny answer the guy gave.

> Protein before bed? Why not?

They say either that you **** it right out or that it gets turned into
fat.

Supposedly it also disturbs your sleep...?

Speaking of which, I've always wondered -- I thought the body shuts
down almost completely during sleep??

> Are you prone to fatty weight gain? Or are you an all-bones kinda guy?
>
> I know I've read that the body must maintain fuel in order to continue
> gaining or increasing mass. That, especially with the skinny guys, if
> your stomach gets empty that your body begins to fuel itself by
> burning off that lean body tissue some are desperately trying to gain,
> so - with that in mind - wouldn't protein before bed make hella sense
> or be a good idea? Yes.
>
> Also, which bodybuilder (or ghost writer in a muscle magazine) did I
> read say he sets his alarm clock for the middle of the night in order
> to eat a meal and avoid that empty stomach /danger/? I know I've read
> that somewhere.

And I've also read that having your sleep disturbed like that isn't
good for building muscle -- it's like throwing a monkey wrench into an
assembly line, allegedly.

> Whether it's true or false I do not know, however one way to learn the
> truth (for you) would be to experiment. Your body is your workshop.
> Take one change at a time - just as working on a machine that's not
> functioning as you'd like - test one variable at a time and see what
> actually works in assisting you or helping you achieve your goals.

The problem with such self-experiments is the highly subjective nature
of interpretation, obviously.

> High reps, low reps, carbs, protein, heavy weight, light weights, etc.
> What variables do you have at your disposal? Best of luck with your
> training and, hey, just ignore what you consider ******** or negative
> comments.

Hell, if I really think about it, weight training is ******** -- not a
very cost-effective use of time.

Health? Okinowan villagers frequently live well over 100 and are still
walking around doing gardening, etc.

Strength? You work so hard just to "keep up" with the asshole teenage
thug-wannabe who gets it eating fried chicken and drinking beer?

Sexual attraction? If you're just after sex, nothing impresses like
money and power and material possessions.

Really, anything you do, you can always find reasons pro and con. So
why do you do it?

Because.

So, as for protein before bed...the answer is "whatever."

> --

Sexual attraction? If you're just after sex, nothing impresses like
money and power and material possessions.
You forgot ..9 inches will please a lady (or a man in Spurts case;-) )