Protein Drinks

Eldron

Jan 24, 2002
Protein drinks seem to be the flavour of the day....anyone tried them? ???

Apparently us cyclists build some muscle and just like our buff gym counterparts :-* we need more protein to help in muscle development.

What say ye?

I like the USN range of products. I use their Creatine and whey Protein. I also mix up my own smoothies and add my supplements in that way.

(hey, free punt, USN - so send over the freebies) ;D

We (I are Baboon and I) make protein shakes, usually in the am, after we workout. Protein is essential for muscle recovery and a shake (with a complex sugar such as dextrose or maltodextrin) is the fastest way of getting the protein to the muscles.

Also, without it, we'd never be able to get enough protein in our diets - or we'd be eating chicken at every meal - and then some!

There are some Gatorade type products like Accelerade and Endurox which also contain protein - I have not tried them (and probably won't). After I ride, I'm most concerned with getting some carbs/electrolytes back into my body - not so much protein.

;D

I use an elecrolite drink mix wich is good. do you drink the protein drink while riding? or only before and after?.

You would normally only drink a Protein drink after a ride, to aid recovery.

Hello
Im glad to see something about Protein. I feel cyclist over look this. All the books i ever read seem to be very vague with weight loss and such protein and carbs. Most cyclist are carbs this and that, they seem to want you to load on it. What if you are trying to lose weight though? muscles are made up of protein, But I wont tell people what they should or should not do because all of our bodies are differnt. I can only speak for me. I know back in the old days people used to have steak in the morning, but it takes up alot of energy just to break it down. I reccommend protein for dinner and then in the mirng have something more carb like, For me I feel better the next day because I think ingesting it at night gives you a regenerating effect.
I dont agree with a all protein no carb diet for cyclist, I tried that and talk about feeling horrible! Endurance people have to have some carbs even if you are a bit over weight, just dont go crazy with the pasta or rice. I do think taking in 50 grames a day or better is good for people who are riding 250 miles a week and up. If you back your chicken or steak with out adding things to it its good, there are some great protien supplements out there, I personally suggest Nitro tech by muscle tech, its very low in carbs and it doesnt taste too diatetic. I think the best way to learn about yourself in cycling is read, apply some things you are interestred in to you, and then see how you feel after wards then you come out with a good medium of what you can or cant tollerate. Just because it works for so and so doesnt mean your body will work just like that, but i do think alot of people tend to be short on protein its a big deal, atleast for me :)

Hi,

I have found this site and this is very good info for any active person. http://www.evox.co.za/evox_files.html

cheers

So, I decided to get some stuff to help with training and recovery. My local bike shop suggested "Zone drink" by "Energy dynamics". It has got 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats.

This I was told can be used 1.5 to 2 hours before a ride for optimal training. It can even be used as a meal replacement.

Now I'm not sure if I should also get some protein stuff for after a hard ride?

Would the protein in the "Zone drink" be enough (and still around in my body - suppose since you don't burn protein like you do with carbs) when it comes to repairing muscles afterwards?

Hmm, like the carb and protein parts, but I get more than enough fat from the rest of my diet, any version which doesn't have the fat content?

Hey Jaco, hoe lykkit?

What is the protein content per serving of the product? And how much is the recommended serving size?

Hey V02 :) A serving is 50g (6 scoops) methinks contain 15.5g protein, 6.95g fat (of which only .34 saturates) and 20.8g carbs. It's only the saturate fats that are bad, the rest (I think) is good for your matabolism (is that right?).

Hmm, I wouldn't exactly call 15.5g of protein per serving a protein drink, but then I don't think that the product is meant to be just a protein drink. I would rather say that it's a meal replacement.
You'll probably have to supplement with extra protein if you wish to aid muscle recovery (via a pure protein drink).
An endurance athlete weighing 80kgs would need about 105g of protein per day (body builders need more). So work it out from there.

Here's a table:

Your Weight_____Strength Training____Endurance Training
150lb (68kg)____120 grams_________90 grams
160lb (73kg)____128 grams_________96 grams
170lb (77kg)____136 grams_________102 grams
180lb (82kg)____144 grams_________108 grams
190lb (86kg)____152 grams_________114 grams
200lb (91kg)____160 grams_________120 grams

That's the best way to approach it, Jaco. I don't use the Energy Dynamics range of products, so I can't comment on that.<br /><br />Click here for a list of foods and there protein content.

Thanks, I'll work it out some and and will you know... I also saw an article in the latest Ride mag that has a table that more geared towards our products here in SA. <br /><br />Interesting is that chicken breasts are quite high in protein - compared to steak anyway....<br />

mmm and as you know I'm a big fella... What I should actually do is to I work out how much protein I typically consume during the day, add the 15.5g and see what that gives me. Based on that I might need to get something like "Energy dynamics Power blast"... What ya think?

Hey Jaco, <br /><br />Hoozit my China, <br /><br />Energy Dynamics do a protein drink called &quot;Protein Blast&quot;. I was introduced to it last week during a Cycle Tour by Owen Hannie and Simon Kessler. I tried it immediately after a gruelling day in the saddle (140kms) and it definately aided my recovery for the next day's riding where I felt significantly stronger. (And this is in the hilly terrain of Lesotho where I bonked on the mountains.)<br /><br />I have used the Zone Drink and it was also recommended, however, it is best for 2 hours before your ride. I now swear by these products because I doubted that I would be able to ride the next day and I did another 145kms the next day. (And we got hammered that night too. ;D )

Hoozit LR,<br /><br />Thanks for the advice - still have to work out my ave. daily protein intake. Will definitely consider Protein Blast if I need to supplement.<br /><br />Glad to hear you survived those hills - you must be as tough as nails now. Can't say the same about myself - been off the bike for more than a week now - sinusses being stuffed &gt;:(

You do need more protein to avoid catabolism (breaking down of muscles for food) in endurance excercise, and to aid recovery, because some usage of proteins for energy is inevitable in endurance sports.<br /><br />This gives some info: http://www.nismat.org/nutricor/index.html<br /><br />Basically &quot;The Zone&quot; diet is marketing hype. The extra protein will be deaminized, the waste products ****** out, and the remaining carbos used as expensive fuel.<br /><br />This is a superb source of info: http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/nutrition.htm<br /><br />I do take protein shakes after exercise, but I do a LOT. Riding 15 miles to town, a 1 hour gym session, riding home, and then extra on the road training routines twice a week plus racing at weekends.<br /><br />Also, don't neglect micronutrients. I take multivits, zinc, cod liver oil, selenium, co-enzyme Q10, HMB (http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0103.htm) and Glutamine.<br /><br />http://www.supplementwatch.com/ will tell you what is worth it and what is industry hype.

Thanks for the info Animal. The "Zone" I was referring to is a product though and not a diet.

I think the guy who invented the Zone diet, registered the name, and the bars that bear that name are part of his marketing. If it's 40:30:30 carb:protein:fat, then that's The Zone diet.