Protein grams and portion control??? Pastorio?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by OmManiPadmeOmelet, Feb 16, 2006.

  1. JJ - RFC

    JJ - RFC Guest

    One time on Usenet, Andy <q> said:
    > OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote in news:Omelet-
    > [email protected]:
    > > In article <[email protected]>, Andy <q> wrote:
    > >> OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote in news:Omelet-
    > >> [email protected]:

    > >> Please explain!

    > > Hemoglobin A1C shows your average glucose (blood sugar) levels over the
    > > past 90 days.
    > >
    > > A far, far more accurate estimation of Insulin resistance, and
    > > developing type II Diabetes.
    > >
    > > My Endocrinologist uses it exclusively. :)

    > Thank you. I will ask for that test!!!

    You need to fast for 10-12 hours beforehand, for it to be accurate.
    Just FYI...

    --
    JJ (Jani) in WA
    ~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~

  2. jake

    jake Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    > Need some help here, if you are trying to estimate protein grams and
    > calorie counts for dietary restriction, do you weigh the meat raw or
    > cooked?

    Raw.

    > What do you do about bone-in chicken and meat weight estimates?

    I've never done that. When on my diet in 2004, the only chicken I had
    was chicken breast (fillet, no skin).

    > I'm grilling some chicken drumsticks, what is the meat weight versus the
    > bone weight?
    >
    > I know I can just de-bone the cooked meat and weigh it by itself... ;-)
    > I'll have to wait until they cool enough to do that.
    >
    > But the first question still remains!
    >
    > Thanks!

  3. jake

    jake Guest

    PS I learned a lot from alt.support.diet when I lost 60 lbs in 2004 (my
    one year anniversary of maintaining is coming up - hard work). Maybe
    people there can help you, too.

  4. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > Need some help here, if you are trying to estimate protein grams and
    > calorie counts for dietary restriction, do you weigh the meat raw or
    > cooked?

    Don't we have an actual registered dietitian on this newsgroup? I forgot
    her name... is she lurking?? She'd be the expert here.
    Goomba

  5. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    on line.......

    > OTOH, if you were to take the average medical insurance cost per month,
    > place it with a Raymond James broker and have it put into Mutual funds,
    > you may come out ahead.
    >
    > I have insurance thru the hospital I work for. Most premiums are
    > prohibitive, mine is only about $60.00 per month. Yours would most
    > likely be around $300.00 and have an assinine deductibe. :-(
    >
    > An investment with interest and only carry catastrophic insurance could
    > save you a bundle??????
    > --
    > Peace, Om.

    geez, you guys are likely. Our medical insurance rates increased from
    $175-per-month in 2005 to $700-per-month January 2006.
    And the coverage is much less -- way less! $525 extra out of a retiree's
    paycheck per month.
    Dee Dee

  6. In article <[email protected]>,
    Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 15:25:14 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <[email protected]>,
    > > Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >> I've converted the SR18 Database into SQL Server 2005 (VIA a VB
    > >> app that bulkcopy's the MDB version) if anybody needs it, email
    > >> me. I'm just putting the finishing touches on it now. COuld be
    > >> imported into most any SQL-based server from there. I can also do
    > >> xBase formats, too.
    > >>
    > >> This is the complete database with references. Much more than
    > >> what's included with the pc18.exe search utility (though I admit I
    > >> haven't used pc18).

    > >Uh, English please???? ;-)

    > I do that on purpose. A lot of people see "Free" and they just
    > have to have it, even if they don't know what it is. If I throw
    > in some technical talk, then they get intimidated and don't waste
    > my time.
    >
    > IOW: If y'all don't know what I was talking about, then you don't
    > need it :)
    >
    > They had this hidden camera show where they put out a bin of
    > completely useless gadgets that they made specifically for this
    > experiment. It was some sort of twisted piece of cheap metal with
    > absolutely no purpose whatsoever.
    >
    > On the bin they put a sign that said "Free". People would take
    > one look at these things and grab 5 or 6 of them (they were big,
    > too). Some even starting giving them to their kids to carry
    > because they couldn't carry them all.
    >
    > The smart ones, though, took one look at them, shrugged and walked
    > away.
    >
    > -sw

    That's funny...... ;-D
    --
    Peace, Om.

  7. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (JJ - RFC) wrote:

    > One time on Usenet, Andy <q> said:
    > > OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote in news:Omelet-
    > > [email protected]:

    > > > Hemoglobin A1C shows your average glucose (blood sugar) levels over the
    > > > past 90 days.
    > > >
    > > > A far, far more accurate estimation of Insulin resistance, and
    > > > developing type II Diabetes.
    > > >
    > > > My Endocrinologist uses it exclusively. :)

    > > Thank you. I will ask for that test!!!

    > You need to fast for 10-12 hours beforehand, for it to be accurate.
    > Just FYI...

    Hemoglobin A1C?

    No... it does not have to be fasting.

    Cholesterol and stuff tho', yes.

    8 to 12 hours, water only.
    --
    Peace, Om.

  8. In article <[email protected]>,
    jake <[email protected]> wrote:

    > PS I learned a lot from alt.support.diet when I lost 60 lbs in 2004 (my
    > one year anniversary of maintaining is coming up - hard work). Maybe
    > people there can help you, too.

    I'm on alt.support.diet.low-carb, but thanks! ;-)
    --
    Peace, Om.

  9. In article <[email protected]>,
    Goomba38 <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > > Need some help here, if you are trying to estimate protein grams and
    > > calorie counts for dietary restriction, do you weigh the meat raw or
    > > cooked?
    > >

    > Don't we have an actual registered dietitian on this newsgroup? I forgot
    > her name... is she lurking?? She'd be the expert here.
    > Goomba

    Pastorio answered the question thoroughly, and a couple of other people
    posted some excellent links. :) I'm ok now, thanks to ALL!!!
    --
    Peace, Om.

  10. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > on line.......
    > >
    > > OTOH, if you were to take the average medical insurance cost per month,
    > > place it with a Raymond James broker and have it put into Mutual funds,
    > > you may come out ahead.
    > >
    > > I have insurance thru the hospital I work for. Most premiums are
    > > prohibitive, mine is only about $60.00 per month. Yours would most
    > > likely be around $300.00 and have an assinine deductibe. :-(
    > >
    > > An investment with interest and only carry catastrophic insurance could
    > > save you a bundle??????
    > > --
    > > Peace, Om.
    > >

    > geez, you guys are likely. Our medical insurance rates increased from
    > $175-per-month in 2005 to $700-per-month January 2006.
    > And the coverage is much less -- way less! $525 extra out of a retiree's
    > paycheck per month.
    > Dee Dee

    I'm lucky. My Health insurance is part of my benefits package where I
    work at the hospital. :) They deduct $30.00 from my paycheck twice per
    month for it and the co-pays are affordable.

    They used to give it to us for free, but that changed......

    One of the nice things about working in a hospital and having to use
    _their_ facilities, you know everybody and know which doctors to avoid.
    <G>
    --
    Peace, Om.

  11. jake

    jake Guest

    > I'm on alt.support.diet.low-carb, but thanks! ;-)

    Shoulda known you know your way around cyberspace :)

  12. In article <[email protected]>,
    jake <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > I'm on alt.support.diet.low-carb, but thanks! ;-)

    > Shoulda known you know your way around cyberspace :)

    <lol> There are always new things to learn tho'!
    So the suggestion was still appreciated.
    --
    Peace, Om.

  13. JJ - RFC

    JJ - RFC Guest

    One time on Usenet, OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> said:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > jake <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > PS I learned a lot from alt.support.diet when I lost 60 lbs in 2004 (my
    > > one year anniversary of maintaining is coming up - hard work). Maybe
    > > people there can help you, too.

    > I'm on alt.support.diet.low-carb, but thanks! ;-)

    I used to do a.s.d -- there are some really nice folks there, but
    naturally, the suject matter draws trolls...

    --
    JJ (Jani) in WA
    ~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~

  14. JJ - RFC

    JJ - RFC Guest

    One time on Usenet, OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> said:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] (JJ - RFC) wrote:
    >
    > > One time on Usenet, Andy <q> said:
    > > > OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote in news:Omelet-
    > > > [email protected]:

    > > > Thank you. I will ask for that test!!!

    > > You need to fast for 10-12 hours beforehand, for it to be accurate.
    > > Just FYI...

    > Hemoglobin A1C?
    >
    > No... it does not have to be fasting.
    >
    > Cholesterol and stuff tho', yes.
    >
    > 8 to 12 hours, water only.

    I checked with WebMD and JHU and the first says to fast, the second
    says you don't have to. I suspect you and JHU are correct...

    --
    JJ (Jani) in WA
    ~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~

  15. Andy

    Andy Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > In article <[email protected]>, Andy <q> wrote:
    >
    >> OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote in news:Omelet-
    >> [email protected]:

    >> > Hemoglobin A1C shows your average glucose (blood sugar) levels over
    >> > the past 90 days.
    >> >
    >> > A far, far more accurate estimation of Insulin resistance, and
    >> > developing type II Diabetes.
    >> >
    >> > My Endocrinologist uses it exclusively. :)

    >> Om,
    >>
    >> Thank you. I will ask for that test!!!
    >>
    >> Andy

    > Cheers!
    > And keeping fingers crossed that all is well......
    >
    > I have to go for the "Annual Indignity" next month. :p
    > I know guys have their version of that too. <lol>

    I went to the doctor this morning but I couldn't fast as I'm still head-
    cold sick. I mentioned the Bemoglobin A1C test and she added it to the
    bloodwork. My temp was 97.8. But there is a stretch of tolerance that
    above or below 98.6 is acceptable.

    I'll have to wait for Monday, or Tuesday to fast, depending on my cold.

    At least I know my goal to reach is 200-205 lbs., according to the BMI
    chart in her office.

    I weighed in on their scale at 243 pounds. I'll bet that has something to
    do with my dehydration, even though I drink about a half-gallon of water
    and two chicken soups a day. Before I stood on the scale I claimed "247"
    pounds. So 243 is more dehydration but I keep the liquids going down.
    Maybe it's the 300 ft. altitude drop from my house into town?

    Andy
    270/243 (was 250 last week)/200-205

    P.S. Maddening when your nose just doesn't stop. In the Doc's office I
    asked for the tissue box on her desk during the pre-consultation weign-
    in/B/P and temp. testing. After the doc consultation, she said take it
    with you. No doubt because I had covered it with my share of germs. --A

  16. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    My temp was 97.8. But there is a stretch of tolerance that
    > above or below 98.6 is acceptable.

    Andy, I find the ear temperature readings are too sporadic.
    But the one that you rub across your forehead -- I've had for over a year or
    so and it seems darned accurate.

    http://www.target.com/gp/browse.htm...LNM=Thermometer_Forehead&ref=tgt_adv_XSGT1625

    Take your temperature a lot to decide what your "NORMAL" temperature is.
    (Mine is 97.6.) When I feel puny and take my temperature and I find it to be
    around 99.6; actually a 2ยบ temp, but probably not much to a doctor who
    considers 98.8 (is it 98.6 or 98.8) a normal temperature.

    Hope you feel better soon-est!
    Dee Dee

  17. Andy

    Andy Guest

    "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Andy, I find the ear temperature readings are too sporadic.
    > But the one that you rub across your forehead -- I've had for over a
    > year or so and it seems darned accurate.

    Dee Dee,

    They used the "safeguard sheathed" (?) under the tongue digital temp
    thermometer. Took about 20 seconds.

    Andy

  18. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (JJ - RFC) wrote:

    > One time on Usenet, OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> said:
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > jake <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > > PS I learned a lot from alt.support.diet when I lost 60 lbs in 2004 (my
    > > > one year anniversary of maintaining is coming up - hard work). Maybe
    > > > people there can help you, too.

    > > I'm on alt.support.diet.low-carb, but thanks! ;-)

    > I used to do a.s.d -- there are some really nice folks there, but
    > naturally, the suject matter draws trolls...

    That's what killfiles are for. ;-)
    --
    Peace, Om.

  19. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (JJ - RFC) wrote:

    > One time on Usenet, OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> said:
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > [email protected] (JJ - RFC) wrote:

    > > > You need to fast for 10-12 hours beforehand, for it to be accurate.
    > > > Just FYI...

    > > Hemoglobin A1C?
    > >
    > > No... it does not have to be fasting.
    > >
    > > Cholesterol and stuff tho', yes.
    > >
    > > 8 to 12 hours, water only.

    > I checked with WebMD and JHU and the first says to fast, the second
    > says you don't have to. I suspect you and JHU are correct...

    Well, see, A1C is a whole blood test. It tests the Glycosylated
    Hemoglobin. The glucose contained in the red blood cells more or less.

    RBC's live for 3 months. It gives your doctor an idea of what your
    AVERAGE blood glucose has been over the past 90 days.

    I suppose if you fasted for 3 months, it might have an effect, but not
    an 8 to 12 hour fast. <G>
    --
    Peace, Om.

  20. In article <[email protected]>, Andy <q> wrote:

    > OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > In article <[email protected]>, Andy <q> wrote:
    > >
    > >> OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote in news:Omelet-
    > >> [email protected]:

    > >> Om,
    > >>
    > >> Thank you. I will ask for that test!!!
    > >>
    > >> Andy

    > > Cheers!
    > > And keeping fingers crossed that all is well......
    > >
    > > I have to go for the "Annual Indignity" next month. :p
    > > I know guys have their version of that too. <lol>

    > I went to the doctor this morning but I couldn't fast as I'm still head-
    > cold sick. I mentioned the Bemoglobin A1C test and she added it to the
    > bloodwork. My temp was 97.8. But there is a stretch of tolerance that
    > above or below 98.6 is acceptable.
    >
    > I'll have to wait for Monday, or Tuesday to fast, depending on my cold.
    >
    > At least I know my goal to reach is 200-205 lbs., according to the BMI
    > chart in her office.
    >
    > I weighed in on their scale at 243 pounds. I'll bet that has something to
    > do with my dehydration, even though I drink about a half-gallon of water
    > and two chicken soups a day. Before I stood on the scale I claimed "247"
    > pounds. So 243 is more dehydration but I keep the liquids going down.
    > Maybe it's the 300 ft. altitude drop from my house into town?
    >
    > Andy
    > 270/243 (was 250 last week)/200-205
    >
    > P.S. Maddening when your nose just doesn't stop. In the Doc's office I
    > asked for the tissue box on her desk during the pre-consultation weign-
    > in/B/P and temp. testing. After the doc consultation, she said take it
    > with you. No doubt because I had covered it with my share of germs. --A

    A cold can make you lose weight. :)

    I carry a big ol' bandanna hanky when I have that sort of thing going!

    Hope you feel better soon.....
    --
    Peace, Om.