Protein grams and portion control??? Pastorio?

OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote in news:Omelet-
[email protected]:

> I carry a big ol' bandanna hanky when I have that sort of thing going!

Om,

Me too, but I changed from flannel lined jeans to plain jeans (for the
weigh in) and didn't grab a bandanna in the rush. Also forgot my wallet.

Doc did recomment an nose spray medicine. I went to CVS pharmacy and
asked the pharmacist how to stop a non-stop running nose. She picked out
a box of cvs Allergy Relief Antihistamine (clemastine fumarate) 12-hour
relief and no danger mixed with my blood pressure med.

* Runny Nose
* Sneezing
* Itchy, watery eyes
* Itchy throat

I took one about an hour ago and I haven't had blown my nose or rubbed my
itchy eyes or sneezed.

My doc did want to give me antibiotics straight away because I described
that I had developed post-nasal drip (down the throat) and would wake up
and cough up clear flem. I declined, since it wasn't a respiratory issue.
I got my flu shot in November.

It was a good visit. I just wish she wasn't so quick to suggest
antibiotics.

My B/P was 128/87 and pulse was 80.

Andy

>>>PS I learned a lot from alt.support.diet when I lost 60 lbs in 2004 (my
>>>one year anniversary of maintaining is coming up - hard work). Maybe
>>>people there can help you, too.

>>I'm on alt.support.diet.low-carb, but thanks! ;-)

> I used to do a.s.d -- there are some really nice folks there, but
> naturally, the suject matter draws trolls...

I agree on both counts. But I found the trolles easy to ignore. The
group was helpful to me in staying encouraged and for learning.

In article <[email protected]>, Andy <q> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote in news:Omelet-
> [email protected]:
>
> > I carry a big ol' bandanna hanky when I have that sort of thing going!

> Om,
>
> Me too, but I changed from flannel lined jeans to plain jeans (for the
> weigh in) and didn't grab a bandanna in the rush. Also forgot my wallet.
>
> Doc did recomment an nose spray medicine. I went to CVS pharmacy and
> asked the pharmacist how to stop a non-stop running nose. She picked out
> a box of cvs Allergy Relief Antihistamine (clemastine fumarate) 12-hour
> relief and no danger mixed with my blood pressure med.
>
> * Runny Nose
> * Sneezing
> * Itchy, watery eyes
> * Itchy throat
>
> I took one about an hour ago and I haven't had blown my nose or rubbed my
> itchy eyes or sneezed.
>
> My doc did want to give me antibiotics straight away because I described
> that I had developed post-nasal drip (down the throat) and would wake up
> and cough up clear flem. I declined, since it wasn't a respiratory issue.
> I got my flu shot in November.
>
> It was a good visit. I just wish she wasn't so quick to suggest
> antibiotics.

It's a liabilty issue. :)

> My B/P was 128/87 and pulse was 80.

Not too bad, B/P is getting on the upper end of normal tho'.
Looks like mine when I eat too much salt. <G>
When I behave, it drops down to about 110/70.

--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

One time on Usenet, OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> said:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] (JJ - RFC) wrote:
> > One time on Usenet, OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> said:

> > > Hemoglobin A1C?
> > >
> > > No... it does not have to be fasting.
> > >
> > > Cholesterol and stuff tho', yes.
> > >
> > > 8 to 12 hours, water only.

> > I checked with WebMD and JHU and the first says to fast, the second
> > says you don't have to. I suspect you and JHU are correct...

> Well, see, A1C is a whole blood test. It tests the Glycosylated
> Hemoglobin. The glucose contained in the red blood cells more or less.
>
> RBC's live for 3 months. It gives your doctor an idea of what your
> AVERAGE blood glucose has been over the past 90 days.

You are correct, ma'am:

http://www.diabetesaction.org/z1125.html

> I suppose if you fasted for 3 months, it might have an effect, but not
> an 8 to 12 hour fast. <G>

Okay, I figured it out -- I checked my past lab work and it includes
the fasting blood glucose test (my last one was 127). Now I get it.
Gosh, I'm being blonde today, thanks for the info... :)

--
JJ (Jani) in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~

One time on Usenet, OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> said:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] (JJ - RFC) wrote:
>
> > One time on Usenet, OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> said:

> > > I'm on alt.support.diet.low-carb, but thanks! ;-)

> > I used to do a.s.d -- there are some really nice folks there, but
> > naturally, the suject matter draws trolls...

> That's what killfiles are for. ;-)

Agreed, but one of them masqueraded as a real poster. He gave bad
information to newbies and so the regulars tended to argue with him
a lot, which was hard to avoid reading unless you killfiled everyone.
Worst of all, the guy had absolutely no sense of humor...

--
JJ (Jani) in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> Need some help here, if you are trying to estimate protein grams and
> calorie counts for dietary restriction, do you weigh the meat raw or
> cooked?
>
> What do you do about bone-in chicken and meat weight estimates?
>
> I'm grilling some chicken drumsticks, what is the meat weight versus the
> bone weight?
>
> I know I can just de-bone the cooked meat and weigh it by itself... ;-)
> I'll have to wait until they cool enough to do that.
>
> But the first question still remains!

You shouln't concern yourself with protein grams.
Count carb calories.
If you must, count fat calories too, but mostly it's carbs. You know
that already. The **** that makes us fat isn't protein. We are fat
because we are sloppy with carbs, and we eat too much in general.
The problem is not the drumsticks, but the side-dishes we can't help
ourselves from eating with them. Again, you know that. Nobody ever
got fat from chicken and salad greens. I'm half writing this to
myself.
Better than thinking about calories, think about reducing ravenous
hunger. The only way to do that is low carb, high fat and lots of
veggies. That's the truth, and those of us who are overweight, and
really want to lose just need to think, "Starches and sugars, bad, and
greens, meat and nuts, good."
Enjoy your chicken. Eliminate the bread, tortillas, potatoes, pastas.
Carbs make you hungry.

> Thanks!
> --
> Peace, Om.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (JJ - RFC) wrote:

> > Well, see, A1C is a whole blood test. It tests the Glycosylated
> > Hemoglobin. The glucose contained in the red blood cells more or less.
> >
> > RBC's live for 3 months. It gives your doctor an idea of what your
> > AVERAGE blood glucose has been over the past 90 days.

> You are correct, ma'am:
>
> http://www.diabetesaction.org/z1125.html
>
> > I suppose if you fasted for 3 months, it might have an effect, but not
> > an 8 to 12 hour fast. <G>

> Okay, I figured it out -- I checked my past lab work and it includes
> the fasting blood glucose test (my last one was 127). Now I get it.
> Gosh, I'm being blonde today, thanks for the info... :)
>

> --
> JJ

<lol> Yes, you have to fast for a fasting blood glucose level...

127 is just a bit high!
Are you being treated for type II diabetes?
--

"Food Snob" <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > Need some help here, if you are trying to estimate protein grams and
> > calorie counts for dietary restriction, do you weigh the meat raw or
> > cooked?
> >
> > What do you do about bone-in chicken and meat weight estimates?
> >
> > I'm grilling some chicken drumsticks, what is the meat weight versus the
> > bone weight?
> >
> > I know I can just de-bone the cooked meat and weigh it by itself... ;-)
> > I'll have to wait until they cool enough to do that.
> >
> > But the first question still remains!

> You shouln't concern yourself with protein grams.
> Count carb calories.

That's not how PSMF is done.
You don't count calories, you cound protein grams and avoid starch/sugar
carbs totall.

Total calories come well below 1,000 Kc per day.

It's not called a "crash diet" for nothing. ;-)
I'd suggest you read the book I posted.

> If you must, count fat calories too, but mostly it's carbs. You know
> that already. The **** that makes us fat isn't protein. We are fat
> because we are sloppy with carbs, and we eat too much in general.
> The problem is not the drumsticks, but the side-dishes we can't help
> ourselves from eating with them. Again, you know that. Nobody ever
> got fat from chicken and salad greens. I'm half writing this to
> myself.

<lol>
Well, I've been eating only meat, and pigging out on celery.
With the meat has gone only 1 can per day of low sodium spinach or
string beans.

> Better than thinking about calories, think about reducing ravenous
> hunger. The only way to do that is low carb, high fat and lots of
> veggies.

You are preaching to the choir dear. I've been studying and attempting
low carb for about 5 years. The problem is sometimes just craving the
wrong foods, and the fact that for some screwball reason, your body
becomes resistant to low carbing after a few months! Some starchy carbs
are required at intervals to maintain a normal metabolism.

> That's the truth, and those of us who are overweight, and
> really want to lose just need to think, "Starches and sugars, bad, and
> greens, meat and nuts, good."
> Enjoy your chicken. Eliminate the bread, tortillas, potatoes, pastas.
> Carbs make you hungry.

I know.

--

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 06:10:11 GMT, JJ - RFC wrote:

> One time on Usenet, OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> said:

> > That's what killfiles are for. ;-)

> Agreed, but one of them masqueraded as a real poster. He gave bad
> information to newbies and so the regulars tended to argue with him
> a lot, which was hard to avoid reading unless you killfiled everyone.
> Worst of all, the guy had absolutely no sense of humor...

Kill the topics, jj. I do more of that than killing posters.
Remember to set an expiration, so your KF doesn't balloon.

OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote in news:Omelet-
[email protected]:

> In article <[email protected]>, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>> OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote in news:Omelet-
>> [email protected]:
>>
>> > Be sure to get a hemoglobin A1C

>> Please explain!
>>
>> Andy

> Hemoglobin A1C shows your average glucose (blood sugar) levels over the
> past 90 days.
>
> A far, far more accurate estimation of Insulin resistance, and
> developing type II Diabetes.
>
> My Endocrinologist uses it exclusively. :)

Om,

Today I went in for fasting bloodwork. I didn't get the Hemoglobin A1C
test as you suggested, rather just a glucose test.

I was pretty ****** off about that. I said "but it's a more accurate
test."

They took an extra tube of blood and told me to call my doc. Well... I
called and he said there's no sign of high glucose levels (from last
year) AND he had the nerve to say that it's expensive (as if that was
more of his concern).

I just said fine and they hung up on me. Penn Care Assoc draws the lines
at this clinic and I'm damned fuming about it.

Am I wrong in my anger?

Andy

> Today I went in for fasting bloodwork. I didn't get the Hemoglobin A1C
> test as you suggested, rather just a glucose test.
>
> I was pretty ****** off about that. I said "but it's a more accurate
> test."
>
> They took an extra tube of blood and told me to call my doc. Well... I
> called and he said there's no sign of high glucose levels (from last
> year) AND he had the nerve to say that it's expensive (as if that was
> more of his concern).
>
> I just said fine and they hung up on me. Penn Care Assoc draws the lines
> at this clinic and I'm damned fuming about it.
>
> Am I wrong in my anger?
>
> Andy

HELL NO!!!
When I in a counseling group for an ailment, a guest doctor there advocated
not getting certain blood tests on cancer patients because that money could
be saved to vaccinate the world's children. I kid you not! What did he
think a patient was going to do: 1) get the price of the test and write a
check for that amount to some nation that was vaccinating children. Maybe
the patient was already doing that, etc. etc. etc.
There are certain doctors who have their priorities confused; and are just
plain nuts!
Dee Dee

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 15:00:45 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Be sure to get a hemoglobin A1C

Unless there is some reason to run an HBA1c, it will not be done.

IIRC, you work in a lab, so you know that fasting BG is part of the
usual blood work conducted for routine exams. Unless the fasting BG or
a GTT is unusual or something else is suspected or being monitored for
some reason, they wouldn't even be able to code it to get an insurance
company to pay for an HBA1c.

Me? I get one every 3 months, but I am a diabetic. (Always below 6.0
for me)

Boron

Boron Elgar <[email protected]> wrote in
news:eek:[email protected]:

> they wouldn't even be able to code it to get an insurance
> company to pay for an HBA1c.

Well, I'm not Om, and I don't have insurance and the clinic knows that, but
I have the money. I don't know if you read I spent Christmas Day 2004-New
Years Day 2005 for acute pancreatitis.

There's something amiss at my clinic and I'm ready to find a doctor who
owns a private practice and isn't a puppet as the likes of Penn Care Assoc.
clincic doctors.

Dammit.

Andy

In article <[email protected]>, Andy <q> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote in news:Omelet-
> [email protected]:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>, Andy <q> wrote:
> >
> >> OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote in news:Omelet-
> >> [email protected]:

> >> Please explain!
> >>
> >> Andy

> > Hemoglobin A1C shows your average glucose (blood sugar) levels over the
> > past 90 days.
> >
> > A far, far more accurate estimation of Insulin resistance, and
> > developing type II Diabetes.
> >
> > My Endocrinologist uses it exclusively. :)

> Om,
>
> Today I went in for fasting bloodwork. I didn't get the Hemoglobin A1C
> test as you suggested, rather just a glucose test.
>
> I was pretty ****** off about that. I said "but it's a more accurate
> test."
>
> They took an extra tube of blood and told me to call my doc. Well... I
> called and he said there's no sign of high glucose levels (from last
> year) AND he had the nerve to say that it's expensive (as if that was
> more of his concern).
>
> I just said fine and they hung up on me. Penn Care Assoc draws the lines
> at this clinic and I'm damned fuming about it.
>
> Am I wrong in my anger?
>
> Andy

I would be......

There is a good reason that more docs are using that test to monitor.

If nothing else, it's the principle of the thing. I have yet to have a
doctor refuse to order a lab test that I have requested of them! Dr. R.
will write an order for anything I want, and my co-pay will cover any
labs requested as long as they are appropriate for the diagnosis code.

I'm careful to fall within those limits when I place my requests. <G>

A good doctor will allow us choices and listen to our concerns!
And not blow them off as "ignorance".

Especially when the doc might be ignorant too! I dumped one GP when he
told me that a low Total T3 was meaningless if the T4 and TSH were
within normal limits.

********. <G>
--

"Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Today I went in for fasting bloodwork. I didn't get the Hemoglobin A1C
> > test as you suggested, rather just a glucose test.
> >
> > I was pretty ****** off about that. I said "but it's a more accurate
> > test."
> >
> > They took an extra tube of blood and told me to call my doc. Well... I
> > called and he said there's no sign of high glucose levels (from last
> > year) AND he had the nerve to say that it's expensive (as if that was
> > more of his concern).
> >
> > I just said fine and they hung up on me. Penn Care Assoc draws the lines
> > at this clinic and I'm damned fuming about it.
> >
> > Am I wrong in my anger?
> >
> > Andy

> HELL NO!!!
> When I in a counseling group for an ailment, a guest doctor there advocated
> not getting certain blood tests on cancer patients because that money could
> be saved to vaccinate the world's children. I kid you not! What did he
> think a patient was going to do: 1) get the price of the test and write a
> check for that amount to some nation that was vaccinating children. Maybe
> the patient was already doing that, etc. etc. etc.
> There are certain doctors who have their priorities confused; and are just
> plain nuts!
> Dee Dee

Believe it or not, some docs don't want to order tests that they don't
know how to interpret... They are too busy to do the research. :p

Doctors as individuals cannot know everything! There is too much. That
is what medical libraries are for, and why Medline on the 'net is such a
valuable resource!

It is important to me that a doctor ADMIT they are not sure of
something, but they know who to ask. <G> My endocrinologist was not sure
about my problem with a chronic low magnesium level, so she spoke with
another internest that did know, then got back to me. She was also not
sure which form of Magnesium was the most effective supplement, so
again, she spoke with another doctor that did know, and got back to me.
;-)

Now THAT is a doctor!

I'm blessed...
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
Boron Elgar <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 15:00:45 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >Be sure to get a hemoglobin A1C

> Unless there is some reason to run an HBA1c, it will not be done.
>
> IIRC, you work in a lab, so you know that fasting BG is part of the
> usual blood work conducted for routine exams. Unless the fasting BG or
> a GTT is unusual or something else is suspected or being monitored for
> some reason, they wouldn't even be able to code it to get an insurance
> company to pay for an HBA1c.
>
> Me? I get one every 3 months, but I am a diabetic. (Always below 6.0
> for me)
>
> Boron

Fortunately, that test is being ordered more frequently now as a
SCREENING test for type II diabetes early onset as it's more indicative
than a fasting glucose. If you can catch that condition in time, it can
be corrected with diet (and Metformin) before it does irreversible
damage...

Insulin resistance with obesity is becoming more and more common
nowadays and often indicates a good chance of becoming a type II
diabetic.

A glucose tolerance test is not a bad thing, but it's kinda being phased
out now except for pre-natal workups.
--

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 12:21:46 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:

>Boron Elgar <[email protected]> wrote in
>news:eek:[email protected]:
>
>> they wouldn't even be able to code it to get an insurance
>> company to pay for an HBA1c.

>Well, I'm not Om, and I don't have insurance and the clinic knows that, but
>I have the money. I don't know if you read I spent Christmas Day 2004-New
>Years Day 2005 for acute pancreatitis.

I was posting in reply to OM's advice, though.

Acute pancreatitis is awful. I have had it myself (morphine is your
friend), but unless it is caused by a blocked duct (due to gallstones
and easily fixed ) or a tumor (really more leaning towards chronic and
not so easily fixed), drinking (do you drink alcohol?), medications
(what medications are you on?) or a couple of other more rare
instances, its cause is often unknown.

Chronic pancreatitits is something else altogether and no need to go
into that here.

If your pancreas shuts down due to damage, sure, they you'd become the
equivalent of a T1 diabetic, and believe me, they'd notice it on your
tests and you'd notice it too, because if you are not producing any
insulin, you'd be symptomatic quickly.

>There's something amiss at my clinic and I'm ready to find a doctor who
>owns a private practice and isn't a puppet as the likes of Penn Care Assoc.
>clincic doctors.

That is a whole different ball of wax, and if at any time you feel
your medical care is inadequate or does not serve your needs, seek
better.

>Dammit.

Though this particular physician may, indeed, not suit your needs, and
granted, I really do not know your history other than what appears
above, and to top it off IANAD, but I still don't see the utility of
an HBA1c in this case.

Why do you want one? What are your last 3 fasting BG levels?

Boron

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>> OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote in news:Omelet-
>> [email protected]:

>> > Hemoglobin A1C shows your average glucose (blood sugar) levels over the
>> > past 90 days.
>> >
>> > A far, far more accurate estimation of Insulin resistance, and
>> > developing type II Diabetes.
>> >
>> > My Endocrinologist uses it exclusively. :)

>> Om,
>>
>> Today I went in for fasting bloodwork. I didn't get the Hemoglobin A1C
>> test as you suggested, rather just a glucose test.
>>
>> I was pretty ****** off about that. I said "but it's a more accurate
>> test."
>>
>> They took an extra tube of blood and told me to call my doc. Well... I
>> called and he said there's no sign of high glucose levels (from last
>> year) AND he had the nerve to say that it's expensive (as if that was
>> more of his concern).
>>
>> I just said fine and they hung up on me. Penn Care Assoc draws the lines
>> at this clinic and I'm damned fuming about it.
>>
>> Am I wrong in my anger?
>>
>> Andy

> I would be......
>
> There is a good reason that more docs are using that test to monitor.
>
> If nothing else, it's the principle of the thing. I have yet to have a
> doctor refuse to order a lab test that I have requested of them! Dr. R.
> will write an order for anything I want, and my co-pay will cover any
> labs requested as long as they are appropriate for the diagnosis code.
>
> I'm careful to fall within those limits when I place my requests. <G>
>
> A good doctor will allow us choices and listen to our concerns!
> And not blow them off as "ignorance".
>
> Especially when the doc might be ignorant too! I dumped one GP when he
> told me that a low Total T3 was meaningless if the T4 and TSH were
> within normal limits.
>
> ********. <G>
> --

At my doctor's last visit, regarding two different tests in the same day -
he had his nurse call me and tell me to take calcium (Dexascan - osteopenia)
and on the other test results, he had her call me and tell me to stop
calcium altogether. When I questioned this with some other nurse who called
to see what the trouble was with my thinking, I never got a return call when
she said she would look into it. There have been other things along these
lines, too. Time to look for ANOTHER doctor.
I say, ********, too.
Dee Dee

Andy <q> wrote:
: Today I went in for fasting bloodwork. I didn't get the Hemoglobin A1C
: test as you suggested, rather just a glucose test.

: I was pretty ****** off about that. I said "but it's a more accurate
: test."

There's a home version of this test that tracks lab results very
well, uses a drop of blood instead of a tube, and that costs about $18
at places like Target and Walmart [Walgreen's has stopped carrying for
some reason] It requires no prescription and no specialized training
to administer. It's start to finish in under 10 minutes. I don't
remember the exact name but it has the word Choice and comes from
Metrica.
--thelma
: Andy

In article <[email protected]>,
"Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote:

> At my doctor's last visit, regarding two different tests in the same day -
> he had his nurse call me and tell me to take calcium (Dexascan - osteopenia)
> and on the other test results, he had her call me and tell me to stop
> calcium altogether. When I questioned this with some other nurse who called
> to see what the trouble was with my thinking, I never got a return call when
> she said she would look into it. There have been other things along these
> lines, too. Time to look for ANOTHER doctor.
> I say, ********, too.
> Dee Dee

<lol> Sounds like someone too busy to correlate results...

Why did they want you to stop taking Calcium?

And for the record, Calcium by itself is not really utilized properly
anyway.

Short story here:

When I first started weight lifting and eating a high protein diet
wayyyyy back when when I was about 30, I started developing leg cramps.

Not just ANY leg cramps, but Quadricep cramping that would wake me up at
2 am and have me nearly passing out with the pain. :-( I have a very
high pain tolerance but this was about a 12 on a scale of 1 to 10!

Turns out that eating more protein tends to cause the kidneys to dump
more calcium, so you need a higher supplementation rate. One good reason
to eat yogurt and cottage cheese. <G>

Anyhoo, I tried 4 different types of calcium supplements over time with
varying results, but none of them were adequate for stopping those early
morning episodes of sheer hell. :-(

I spoke with one of or ER docs about it, (one that I knew had a side
practice of "complementary medicine" where he used nutritional and
herbal therapies in combination with standard medical practices).

He told me that the problem was that I was taking CALCIUM, by itself!!!
He said that calcium works together in balance with Magnesium and
Phosphorous to keep blood levels stable.

Duh.

I'd forgotten about the importance of mineral balance in infant bird
feeding that I'd learned from doing wildlife rescue... The metabolic
rate of baby birds is so high that the mineral balance is critical, and
vitamin D must also be supplemented, more so in the insect eaters like
Mockingbirds...... I lost a baby mockingbird to ricketts before I
learned that. <sigh>

Anyhoo, I started taking a balanced Cal/Mag/Phos multimineral with 1,000
mg. of calcium in it, and have not had any muscle cramps since!

I know that was long, sorry, but it still pisses me off royally that
most doctors keep stuffing calcium pills down women, and they really
don't do a hell of a lot of good.....