Protein Powder?

mcgr

Aug 11, 2007
I am 17 years old and just about to purchase my first road bike. I have done mountain biking occasionally a few years ago. I want to go riding 5-6 times per week for 1-3 hours per day. I am also going to join a cycling club. I will train between 5-7 o'clock in the morning. Would protein powder be benificial to my training? I am aiming to become a very strong rider and enter competitions in about a year.

Thanks

Hi that all depends, there is certainly now harm in a protein shake but I find that pasta and a couple of pouched eggs are just as good for a post ride recovery meal. However, I do on occasion use protein shakes when I am in rush so they are good in that sense. Just try not to believe all the bull that they say on the tubs about HUGE power increases. At the end of the day it is just a source of protein that can be found in food. Sounds a bit 'old school' but I have tried them all( supplements that is). Another draw back is that they are so expensive certainly if you go for a more refined product which could be better spent on food. I would at least try some to make up your own mind. I have found the best range from EAS , I sometimes use their 'race recovery'. It is very similar to other products but the main thing is that it does not taste like ****, in fact it is rather more'ish, lol especialy the chocolate flavour. Saying all this some people will swear by the use of supplements. See how you go, if you struggle to recover from workouts even with a good diet,then why not, you wont lose anything but a few dollers. lol. good luck nath.

I agree with nath1; proper nutrition is far more beneficial.

Though I too have just recently started cycling, I have been into various forms of very demanding exercise for many years--running, weight lifting, kick boxing, jiu jitsu...etc--so I understand the benefits, as well as the negative effects of protein. Basically, in my experience, one serving of a quality protein is beneficial after an intense workout. Quality protein often contains a good amount of branch chain amino acids, as well as glutamine. In my experience, these supplements do contribute to a fast recovery.

With that said, I caution you to NOT drink too much protein. Excessive amounts of protein is good for body builders, but they can't even scratch their back let alone pedal with the best of them. It's simple really, if you drink a ridiculous amount of protein, you'll develop a ridiculous amount of "stupid muscle." Conversely, taking a shake or two per day has its benefits--again, in my experience.

I've researched--and more importantly tried--various proteins and other supplements for the last few years. In the end, this is the protein I use: http://bodybuilding.com/store/dym/elite.html

It's ultra high quality (basically the same as Isopure, but at a fraction of the price) and tastes awesome!

Stay away from refined flour--white bread, white pasta, white bagel..etc. Eat whole grain bread, pasta, bagel...etc. Makes a big difference.

Good luck. Go eat! :D

Presuming you eat a normal mixed diet (including vegetarian), and don't eat a bizarre diet (e.g., you just drink energy drinks), and aren't in a heavy weight loss phase, then it's highly unlikely that you'd need supplemental protein. Unless you like wasting money.

Ric

R400 said:
I agree with nath1;

With that said, I caution you to NOT drink too much protein. It's simple really, if you drink a ridiculous amount of protein, you'll develop a ridiculous amount of "stupid muscle."
:D
No truth to that at all.

a few times a week i drink a two-scoop protein shake for breakfast, instead of eating. why? well I only do it on days i know i wont be on the bike, and I know my diet really lacks protein (and probably vitamins...) for my bike rebuilding. Plus, im trying to loose a bit of weight, and the protein shake keeps me full for hours, unlike cereal or anything like that. In winter, ill eat mostly oatmeal for breakfast, as it fills me up very well, and doesnt have a lot of calories really.

at 17, i DOUBT you need any extra protien for cycling. weight lifting, sure, cycling I doubt it unless you are competative. Like I said, im a bit overweight and im mixing with skim milk to cut carbs and fat. You would be better off having an extra chicken breast, or small steak, maybe even some pinto beans and rice? for me its a meal replacement...

mcgr said:
I am 17 years old and just about to purchase my first road bike. I have done mountain biking occasionally a few years ago. I want to go riding 5-6 times per week for 1-3 hours per day. I am also going to join a cycling club. I will train between 5-7 o'clock in the morning. Would protein powder be benificial to my training? I am aiming to become a very strong rider and enter competitions in about a year.

Thanks
I have found several products that have helped me in my cycling that may be of interest to you. I have started using these last year and have seen my performance increase remarkably this year.

Major league baseball, professional football, many teams with the NBA and professional hockey are using these products. They are NSF certified as aproved for sports. They are all natural and come with a money back guarantee. If they don't help you, you get your money back!

They have an energy drink that has helped me outperform people in their twenties...I'm 52.

I could not resist the offer and I never did ask for my money back. These nutrional products do work.

If you would like more information, you can contatct me at [email protected]

If you are exercising to strenghten you muscles then yes Protein supplements will help. Proteins are needed to help your muscles to recover and grow after exercising. Considering that you are trying to stay lean and not really trying to build huge muscles I would go with a protein that is low in sugar and fat. The one I use is http://www.illpumpyouup.com/bsn/syntha-6.htm, it has 46 grams of protien per serving with only 4 grams of sugar.... plus the taste is awesome...:)

your body can only handle so much protein, so after a certain amount, the rest just turns to waste product. But it is good to make sure you are getting enough. After a hard workout or ride i usually have a protein shake or a tall glass of chocolate milk. I have tried lots of protein supplements, by far and away as far as taste and price and mixability is Optimum 100% Whey Protein. It also includes glutamine to improve recovery time and boost your immune system. You can definitely get the protein you need from a well balanced diet, but I like to have a shake every once in a while as well, it is just easy.

http://bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html

ric_stern/RST said:
Presuming you eat a normal mixed diet (including vegetarian), and don't eat a bizarre diet (e.g., you just drink energy drinks), and aren't in a heavy weight loss phase, then it's highly unlikely that you'd need supplemental protein. Unless you like wasting money.

Ric
What he said.

Protein is only part of the equation - just like fats.
Complex carbs and H2O should be at the top of your list.

Supplements that dramatically increase your athletic performance??? Like what?? How about sharing your special secret?? :D

stevetroyer said:
I have found several products that have helped me in my cycling that may be of interest to you. I have started using these last year and have seen my performance increase remarkably this year.

Major league baseball, professional football, many teams with the NBA and professional hockey are using these products. They are NSF certified as aproved for sports. They are all natural and come with a money back guarantee. If they don't help you, you get your money back!

They have an energy drink that has helped me outperform people in their twenties...I'm 52.

I could not resist the offer and I never did ask for my money back. These nutrional products do work.

If you would like more information, you can contatct me at [email protected]

You don't need protein supplements. Not even if you are a body builder, let alone a cyclist. The beauty of cycling is that you can eat healthy and balanced diet and perform well, unlike say body building where you do need to eat more protein than what would be considered balanced.

Most normal diets contain more than enough protein, so unless you eat weirdly or are strict vegetarian (where it is difficult to get all essential amino acids), you already get plenty.

root said:
You don't need protein supplements. Not even if you are a body builder, let alone a cyclist. The beauty of cycling is that you can eat healthy and balanced diet and perform well, unlike say body building where you do need to eat more protein than what would be considered balanced.

This is untrue in elite cyclists, riding events such as a Grand Tour. That is, the need for protein is highest in these cycling events compared to any other sporting event. However, even these rates of protein can be supplied by a normal, mixed diet. In other words, for GTs the carbohydrate and protein requirement, per kg of body mass needed is higher than for body building.

Most normal diets contain more than enough protein, so unless you eat weirdly or are strict vegetarian (where it is difficult to get all essential amino acids), you already get plenty.

Even in a strict vegetarian diet it's not difficult to meet the sporting protein requirements. For e.g., i'm a strict vegetarian, and when i last did a dietary assessment, my protein intake would have been sufficient for riding a GT. It's not difficult to reach such high intakes (unless you eat a 'bizarre' diet).

ric

An athlete requires .3 grams of protein per LEAN body mass. Anything more overloads your kidneys to metabolise your expensive protein concentrate so you can pee it down the toilet.

This summer i weighed 169lbs at 6.9% BF.

This means i needed about 47grams of protein daily - the equivalent of 2 handfulls of almonds.

Protein is misleadingly promoted by the supplement industry because there is so much money to be made. There is no money in selling fruit or tap water.

For example if i was protein deficient by 10% i couldn't honestly measure any a decrease in performance. Of course i'm not a TDF athlete, but a serious one none the less.

I hope you don't buy into this BS protein gimmick.

Fudge Monkey said:
An athlete requires .3 grams of protein per LEAN body mass. Anything more overloads your kidneys to metabolise your expensive protein concentrate so you can pee it down the toilet.

This summer i weighed 169lbs at 6.9% BF.

This means i needed about 47grams of protein daily - the equivalent of 2 handfulls of almonds.

Protein is misleadingly promoted by the supplement industry because there is so much money to be made. There is no money in selling fruit or tap water.

For example if i was protein deficient by 10% i couldn't honestly measure any a decrease in performance. Of course i'm not a TDF athlete, but a serious one none the less.

I hope you don't buy into this BS protein gimmick.

While i don't believe that you need protein supplements, the rest of your post is incorrect. For e.g., most endurance athletes (e.g. up to ~15 hrs/week training) will require around 1.5 g of protein per kg of body mass. For evidence see, ACSM position stand.

Ric

ric_stern/RST said:
Even in a strict vegetarian diet it's not difficult to meet the sporting protein requirements. For e.g., i'm a strict vegetarian, and when i last did a dietary assessment, my protein intake would have been sufficient for riding a GT. It's not difficult to reach such high intakes (unless you eat a 'bizarre' diet).
ric
It is easy to get x grams of protein. You can do it from bread alone. However, not all protein is the same, and it is not easy to get all essential amino acids from vegetable sources. Luckily most vegetarians are more interested in nutrition in general, and are aware of this and know what they need to eat.

Same goes for vitamin B, which is not well absorbed from vegetable sources. Hence, strict vegetarians should probably get B12 injection once a year, just to be safe.

ric_stern/RST said:
While i don't believe that you need protein supplements, the rest of your post is incorrect. For e.g., most endurance athletes (e.g. up to ~15 hrs/week training) will require around 1.5 g of protein per kg of body mass. For evidence see, ACSM position stand.

Ric
Never heard of it, but i'll google it and let you know what i think.

The evidence i read chronicled subjects who secreted excess protein from mimimal intake.. of course when discussing the protein paradox, ask any 2 people and you'll get 4 different answers.

Allen, L. H., Oddoye, E. A., & Margen, S. (1979). Protein-induced hypercalciuria: a longer term study. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 32, 741-749.
Anand, C. R. & Linkswiler, H. M. (1974). Effect of protein intake on calcium balance of young men given 500 mg calcium daily. Journal of Nutrition, 104, 695-700.
Arnaud, C. D. & Sanchez, S. D. (1996). Calcium and phosphorus. In: E. E. Zigler & L. J. Filer, Jr. (Eds.), Present knowledge in nutrition, (7th ed.; pp. 245-255). Washington, D. C.: ILSI Press.
Brenner, B. M., Meyer, T. W., & Hostetter, T. H. (1982). Dietary protein inatke and the progressive nature of kidney disease: The role of hemodynamically mediated glomerular injury in the pathogenesis of progressive glomerular sclerosis in aging, renal ablation, and intrinsic renal disease. The New England Journal of Medicine, 307, 652-659.
Brotherhood, J. R. (1984). Nutrition and sports performance. Sports Medicine, 1, 350-389.
Burr, D. B. (1997). Bone, exercise, and stress fractures. In: J. L. Holloszy (Ed.), Exercise and sport sciences reviews (pp. 171-194). Baltimore, MD: Williams and Wilkins.
Campbell, W. W., Crim, M. C., Young, V. R., & Evans, W. J. (1994). Increased energy requirements and body composition changes with resistance training in older adults. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 60, 167-175.
Campbell, W. W., Crim, M. C., Young, V. R., Joseph, L. J., & Evans, W. J. (1995). Effects of resistance training and dietary protein intake on protein metabolism in older adults. American Journal of Physiology, 268 (June), 1143E.
Catlin, D., Wright, J., Pope, H., Jr., & Liggett, M. (1993). Assessing the threat of anabolic steroids. The Physician and Sports Medicine, 21 (8), 36-41, 44.
Celejowa, I. & Homa, M. (1970). Food intake, nitrogen, and energy balance in Polish weight lifters during a training camp. Nutrition and Metabolism, 12, 259-74.
Conroy, B. P. & Earle, R. W. (1994). Bone, muscle, and connective tissue adaptations to physical activity. In: T.R. Baechle (Ed.), Essentials of strength and conditioning (pp. 51-66). Champaigne, IL: Human Kinetics.
Consolazio C. F., Johnson, H. L., Nelson, R. A., Dramise, J. G., & Skala, J. H. (1975). Protein metabolism during intensive physical training in the young adult. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 28, 29-35.
Di Pasquale, M. G. (1997). Amino acids and proteins for the athlete­the anabolic edge. Volume in I. Wolinsky (Series ed.), Nutrition in exercise and sport. New York, NY: CRC Press.
Durnin, J. V. (1978). Protein requirements and physical activity. In J. Parizkova & V. A. Rogozkin (Eds.)Nutrition, physical fitness and health (pp. 53-60) Baltimore: University Press.
Elliot, D. L., Goldberg, L., Kuehl, K. S., & Catlin, D. H. (1987). Chracteristics of anabolic-androgenic steroid-free competitive male and female body builders. The Physician and Sports Medicine, 15 (6), 169-179.
Fern, E. B., Bielinski, R. N., & Schutz, Y. (1991). Effects of exaggerated amino acid and protein supply in man. Experientia, 47, 168-72.
Friedl, K. E. (1994). Performance-enhancing substances: Effects, risks, and appropriate alternatives. In: T. R. Baechle (Ed.), Essentials of strength training and conditioning (pp. 188-209). Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
Goldenburg, L., Elliot, D. L., Schutz, R. W., & Kloster, F. E. (1984). Changes in lipid and lipoprotein levels after weight training. JAMA: The Journal of the American Medical Association, 252 (4), 504-506.
Hatfield, F. C. (1993). Hardcore bodybuilding: A scientific approach. Chicago, IL: Contemporary Books.
Hegsted, M., Schuette, S. A., Zemel, M. B., & Linkswiler, H. M. (1981). Urinary calcium and calcium balance in young men as affected by level of protein and phosphorus intake. Journal of Nutrition, 111, 553-562.
Holloway, J. B. (1994). Individual differences and their implications for resistance training. In: T. R. Baechle (Ed.), Essentials of strength training and conditioning (pp. 151-162). Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
Hurley, B. F., Seals, D. R., Hagberg, J. M., Goldberg, A. C., Ostrove, S. M., Holloszy, J. O., Wiest, W. G., & Goldberg, A. P. (1984). High-density lipoprotein cholesterol in body builders v powerlifters: Negative effects of androgen use. JAMA: The Journal of the American Medical Association, 252 (4), 507-513.
Kersey, R. D. (1993). Anabolic-androgenic steroid use by private health club/gym athletes. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 7 (2), 118-126.
Kleiner, S. M., Bazzarre, T. L., & Ainsworth, B. E. (1994). Nutritional status of nationally ranked elite bodybuilders. International Journal of Sport Nutrition, 4, 54-69.
Kraemer, W. J. (1992 a). Hormonal mechanisms related to the expression of muscular strength and power. In: P. V. Komi (Ed.), Strength and power in sport (pp. 64-76). Cambridge, MA: Blackwell Science.
Kraemer, W. J. (1992 b). Endocrine responses and adaptations to strength training. In: P. V. Komi (Ed.), Strength and power in sport (pp. 291-304). Cambridge, MA: Blackwell Science.
Laritcheva, K. A., Yalovaya, N. I., Shubin, V. I., & Smirnov, P. V. (1978). Study of energy expenditure and protein needs of top weight lifters. In Parazkova & Rogozkin (Eds) Nutrition, physical fitness and health (pp. 144-163). Baltimore: University Press.
Lemar, H. J., Jr. (1998 a). Growth hormone use and abuse. In: M. T. McDermott (Ed.), Endocrine secrets, 2nd edition (pp. 172-179). Philadelphia, PA: Hanley and Belfus Medical Publishers.
Lemar, H. J., Jr. (1998 b). Use and abuse of anabolic-androgenic steroids. In: M. T. McDermott (Ed.), Endocrine secrets (2nd ed.; pp. 291-295). Philadelphia, PA: Hanley and Belfus Medical Publishers.
Lemon, P. W. R. (1987). Protein and exercise: update 1987. Medicine and Science in Sport and Exercise, 19 (5), S179-S190.
Lemon, P. W. R. (1994). Protein requirements of soccer. Journal of Sports Science, 12, S17-22.
Lemon, P. W. R. (1995). Do athletes need more dietary protein and amino acids? International Journal of Sport Nutrition, 5, S39-S61.
Lemon, P. W. R. (1997, September). Protein needs of athletes. Symposium conducted at the International Conference on Sport Nutrition, Williamsburg, Virginia.
Lemon, P. W .R. & Proctor, D. (1991). Protein intake and athletic performance. Sports Medicine, 12 (5), 313-325.
Lemon, P. W. R., Tarnopolsky, M. A., MacDougall, J. D., & Atkinson, S. A. (1992). Protein requirements and muscle mass/strength changes during intensive training in novice bodybuilders. Journal of Applied Physiology, 73, 767-775.
Lombardo, J. (1993). The efficacy and mechanisms of action of anabolic steroids. In C. E. Yesalis (Ed.), Anabolic steroids in sport and exercise (pp. 89-106). Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
MacDougall, J. D. (1986). Morphological changes in human skeletal muscle following strength training and immobilization. In N. L. Jones, N. McCartney, & A .J. McComas (Eds.), Human muscle power (pp. 269-288). Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
McCarthy, P. (1989). How much protein do athletes really need? The Physician and Sports Medicine, 17 (5), (170-175).
Mitchell, H. H. (1924). A method of determining the biological value of protein. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 58, 873-903.
Munro, H. N. (1964). Introduction to part II. In: H.N. Munro & J.B. Allison (Eds.), Mammalian protein metabolism: Vol. 2. (pp. 1-39). New York, NY: Academic Press.
National Academy of Sciences National Research Council. (1989). Recommended dietary allowances ( 9th ed.) Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press.
Paul, G. (1989). Dietary protein requirements of physically active individuals. Sports Medicine, 8, 154-176.
Poortmans, J. (1985). Postexercise proteinuria in humans: facts and mechanisms. Journal of the American Medical Association, 253, 236-240.
Reeds, P. J. & Beckett, P. R. (1996). Protein and amino acids. In: E. E. Zigler & L. J. Filer, Jr. (Eds.), Present knowledge in nutrition, (7th ed.; pp. 67-86). Washington, D.C.: ILSI Press.
Reimers, K. J. (1994). Evaluating a healthy, high performance diet. Strength and Conditioning, 16 (6), 28-30.
Roy, B. D., Tarnopolsky, M. A., MacDougall, J. D., Fowles, J., & Yarasheski, K. E. (1997). Effect of glucose supplement timing on protein metabolism after resistance training. Journal of Applied Physiology, 82 (6), 1882-1888.
Sargent, R. G. and Hohn, E. (1993). Protein needs for the athlete. National Strength and Conditioning Journal, 15 (1), 54-56.
Schutte, S. A. & Linkswiler, H. M. (1982). Effects of Ca and P metabolism in humans by adding meat, meat plus milk, or purified proteins plus Ca and P to a low protein diet. Journal of Nutrition, 112, 338-349.
Sherwood, L. (1993). Human physiology: From cells to systems, 2nd ed. St. Paul: West.
Sterck, J. G., Ritskes-Hoitinga J., & Beynen, A. C. (1992). Inhibitory effect
of high protein intake on nephrocalcinogenesis in female rats. British Journal of Nutrition, 67 (2), 223-233.
Tarnopolsky, M. A., Atkinson, S. A., MacDougall, J. D., Chesley, A., Phillips, S., & Schwarcz, H. P. (1992). Evaluation of protein requirements for trained strength athletes. Journal of Applied Physiology, 73, 1986-1995.
Tarnopolsky, M. A., MacDougall, J. D., Atkinson, S. A., Blimkie, C., & Sale, D. (1986). Dietary protein requirements for body builders vs. sedentary controls [Abstract]. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 18, S64.
Tesch, P. A. (1992). Training for bodybuilding. In: P. V. Komi (Ed.), Strength and power in sport (pp. 370-380). Cambridge, MA: Blackwell Science.
Ullrich, I. H., Reid, C. M., & Yeater, R. A. (1987). Increased HDL-cholesterol levels with a weight-lifting program. Southern Medical Journal, 80 (3), 328-331.
Vega, F. & Jackson, R. T. (1995). Dietary habits of body builders and other regular exercisers. Nutrition Research, 16 (1), 3-10.
Walberg, J. L., Leedy, M. K., Sturgill, D. J., Hinkle, D. E., Ritchey, S. J., & Sebolt, D. R. (1988). Macronutrient content of a hypoenergy diet affects nitrogen retention and muscle function in weightlifters. International Journal of Sports Medicine, 9, 261-266.
Wallace, M. B., Moffatt, R. J., Haymes, E. M., & Green, N. R. (1991). Acute effects of resistance exercise on parameters of protein metabolism. Medicine and Science in Sport and Exercise, 23 (2), 199-204.