Protein Shakes?

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Anu, Oct 13, 2004.

  1. Anu

    Anu Guest

    Folks,
    I am a (mad) cow-fearing vegetairan. But, it looks like my protein
    intake sucks (self-realization after a two-week food-diary). Any
    advice on protein shakes?

    cheers
    -a

    Tags:

  2. serg

    serg Guest

    what about soy protein?

    "Anu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Folks,
    > I am a (mad) cow-fearing vegetairan. But, it looks like my protein
    > intake sucks (self-realization after a two-week food-diary). Any
    > advice on protein shakes?
    >
    > cheers
    > -a

  3. Steve B.

    Steve B. Guest

    Anu said:

    > Folks,
    > I am a (mad) cow-fearing vegetairan. But, it looks like my protein
    > intake sucks (self-realization after a two-week food-diary). Any
    > advice on protein shakes?
    >
    > cheers
    > -a

    Protein shakes are an expensive way to drink flavoured skim milk so buy some
    skim milk powder, put a lot in the blender and throw in a banana or whatever
    (and some water of course!).

    HTH,
    Steve = : ^ )

  4. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    Leafing through rec.sport.triathlon, I read Steve B.'s message of 13 Oct
    2004:

    > Anu said:
    >
    >> Folks,
    >> I am a (mad) cow-fearing vegetairan. But, it looks like my protein
    >> intake sucks (self-realization after a two-week food-diary). Any
    >> advice on protein shakes?
    >>
    >> cheers
    >> -a

    > Protein shakes are an expensive way to drink flavoured skim milk so
    > buy some skim milk powder, put a lot in the blender and throw in a
    > banana or whatever (and some water of course!).

    The extra protein I get from whey powder is about 62 cents per day. It's
    $22 for a 5 pound tub. A 32 gram scoop of whey powder contains 22 grams
    of protein. 5 lbs = 2,268 grams. A 5 pound tub contains 71 servings. If I
    have 2 scoops a day. It comes out to about 62 cents per day for 44 grams
    of protein.

    Phil M.

    --
    "What counts in battle is what you do once the pain sets in." -John
    Short, South African coach.

  5. Billy Boone

    Billy Boone Guest

    You may want to check out the book Food for Fitness (Chris Carmichael) -
    some discussion is given to specific needs of active vegetarians.

    Superfoods - may be another book to check out.

    BBB

    news:[email protected]