Protein Shakes

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by BHSpeedrom7, May 11, 2012.

1. BHSpeedrom7

BHSpeedrom7 New Member

I do about 12 hours average of riding per week, My question is should I be taking protein shakes? I eat quite a lot of meat but I find it hard to keep up with the calories I am burning, I find myself eating sweets to fill up the calories I have wasted. Advice is greartly appreciated.

Tags:

2. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

If you eat a balanced diet, you probably don't need to, but you may just like them. And you most likely wouldn't need one along with a meal. The body can only digest a small portion of protein each sitting (which is why many bodybuilders have up to 5 or 6 meals a day). The rest just gets passed through our kidneys and into the toilet, and in fact too much protein can put a strain on the kidneys. If you are a little older and concerned, it may also be helpful to eat more fruits and veggies which help us maintain a good ph balance, one of the keys to retaining muscle mass in our 40's, 50's and beyond.

3. Dave Cutter

Dave Cutter Active Member

I thought that the frozen custard ice cream cone, or a slice of pie were the standards for calorie fulfillment when riding a lot. And I say/ask that with honest seriousness. Isn't it a quick burn.... quick replacement?

4. RobinsonRhonda

RobinsonRhonda New Member

Oh ya protein shake helps in maintaining protein level in our body, if there is lack of vitamin. I used to drink at least one glass per day. Which keeps whole day good and fit.

beauty box

5. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Given that your body is only going to process a protein of a certain amount/mass and given that amount of protein is easily had in any decent diet, protein shakes are great way to shite a lot of protein into the toilet bowl while also draining your wallet a bit.

6. Dave Cutter

Yep! Why waste the protein if your not going to be building mass [exercising in a manner that will cause you to bulk up]. If your out there riding... you're mostly just burning carbs. Lots of cyclist realize that riding can mean they can afford the extra calories of a pancake breakfast, a big chocolate ice cream treat, or a few beers with other cyclist at the end of a ride. Hence the the phrase: "I'm just here for the pie".

I guess you could accomplish the same extra intake with gels and such. But unless you're in training and that's what the coaching staff recommends.... why not enjoy yourself.

7. Shawnalan

Shawnalan New Member

Protein is not just for bulking up. It is also for muscle repair. when we ride our muscle break down ( the soreness / fatigue) . Protein help repair that the muscle. Protein shakes are also full of amino acids which aid in repair ( such as L-glutamine)

Shawn

Owner
    nobisnutrition.com

8. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

...and the body is still limited in the rate at which it can process protein. That rate can be easily satisfied with proper choice of regular foods, no matter what "nutritional" supplements you pimp.

9. jpr95

jpr95 Active Member

A protein shake is a good way to get the protein into your body when it is the most effective--within 30 minutes of the exercise. It's also some more fluids. Drink the shake then eat less protein at your next meal, particularly if it's soon after. A small amount of protein while you ride also helps your body stay hydrated:

http://www.active.com/nutrition/Articles/The_new_rules_of_hydration.htm

10. Dave Cutter

By all means... if you're part of a team and in training... I would imagine the training staff has invested considerable time, effort, and planning into your individual diet plan. A degree of trust for the teams nutritionist is deserved and in order.

But if you are just reading a product claim or advertisement and making judgments from that.... I'd reconsider your evaluation process. Maybe retaining the services of a health-club nutritionist might be useful.

I have seen all sorts and brands of trendy powders and mixes both come... and then go. Now... more than ever before we have a global marketplace of prepared and processed food-stuffs. I have no way of knowing which powdered ingredient came from which nation and what controls were used to guarantee its purity... or my safety. Now-a-days... I rely on wholesome food for my health and nutrition and the occasional sweet treat and strong coffee for a “quick bump” on a long ride.

People have found usable, digestible, proteins and carbohydrates in natural forms since time [for man] began. Our bodies have had countless thousands of years to adjust to use these natural food sources. I am absolutely confident the old-school idea of eating good food... works well.

11. Nukuhiva

Nukuhiva Member

Ditto to all the warnings about too much protein.
    The average American already consumes about double or triple the amount of protein their bodies can process and kidney failure is one helluva ugly way to go.
    You want more protein?
    Eat an egg, not the super-concentrated chemical crap they sell at GNC.
    All you're buying is some high-dollar piss and possibly an early grave.

12. Dave Cutter

I wouldn't go as far as to call health food products discouraging names.... But there was a day when even certain cigarettes were "Doctor recommended": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCMzjJjuxQI

(The above link is a YouTube Video) Fashion and trends change. Although it might seem like science.... it isn't. People are today... [as they always have been] on their own when guessing at what the best nutritional practices are. Whatever we do today will likely be considered old fashioned or even out-right stupid in a few years. I just try to use my best judgment... and I don't put much faith in a "study" or product claim.

13. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

That's not what I told your lass when I gave her a protein shake to remember...

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif

14. jpr95

jpr95 Active Member

They're actually probably eating the right amount of protein, but there are generally three things wrong with HOW they do it. One, they eat it in too few meals--two or three large meals with high amounts of protein above and beyond the 25-30g their body can process. Two, they don't eat it between meals when it would be more beneficial in filling them up with low-density calories instead of high-density calories in the form of simple, processed sugars. Three, they are too sedentary to cause their bodies to need that amount of protein--more activity would cause them to benefit from it.

15. Dave Cutter

It is interesting that you would know that. How you know that is likely over my head.... I wasn't even aware that science knew that. So please share with me [the entire forum] the formula I would use to calculate my actual protein needs.