Protein Shakes

StrawberryCat

Apr 28, 2015
Who else here drinks protein shakes?

I recently started to get even more interested in protein shakes (I'm also new to cycling by the way) so I need some new and good tasting recipes. I absolutely love anything with berries or chocolate in it. Does anyone have any recommendations? Let's use this thread to share our favorite protein shake recipes.

I make my own protein shakes at home. They include sesame seeds, chia or cashew nuts that boost my energy when I feel low. I like to combine the seeds and nuts with soy milk, bananas, mangoes or guavas, add a little raw chocolate powder and stevia, and off I go.
I've never bought any processed protein shakes from a store. There are too many ingredients that I am allergic to. Also, a lot of them contain a substantial amount of artificial sugars.

I get some from the store, particularly the body fortress protein mixes often. I usually just through it in a blender with milk, some fruits usually bananas and maybe apples, some strawberry syrup to make it more sweet and creamy, and also some love! It tastes good and it does the job!

Nothing special in my protein shake. I take whey protein. If I do go to the gym like I use to, I would drink anywhere between 50 to 100 grams of protein. Just maintain the muscle you have now, you to take at least 2 grams of protein per pound of lean muscle mass.

joshposh said:
Nothing special in my protein shake. I take whey protein. If I do go to the gym like I use to, I would drink anywhere between 50 to 100 grams of protein. Just maintain the muscle you have now, you to take at least 2 grams of protein per pound of lean muscle mass.
Wow josh, that's a lot. I was thinking more on the lines of 1 gram per pound of lean muscle mass. But that's the great thing about protein. Your body won't use it all at once. Your body actually ration it out to an extent and not just flush it out all at once.

adfnio said:
Wow josh, that's a lot. I was thinking more on the lines of 1 gram per pound of lean muscle mass. But that's the great thing about protein. Your body won't use it all at once. Your body actually ration it out to an extent and not just flush it out all at once.
It is debatable. But it all depends on the person. Everyone is different and the effects that one has on excessive amounts of protein varies. Body builders will constantly need that amount and more. The cyclist, maybe not as much. But to maximize gains, why not?

I haven't found one i can actually stomach. Well... not the kind of protein shakes you are talking about here, anyway.

I like to add ground hemp hearts into my protein shakes. Good energy and fats for the brain.

I used to buy the whey concentrate for after a weight lifting workout.
Now that I am more money conscious I have replaced it with skim milk powder. The SMP isn't as lean as whey, but it's dirt cheap (like $5 for same volume as $50 of whey) and you have to use more to get the same amount of protein. I haven't noticed a single differecen so i'm sticking with it.
Might as well be rich and fit!

When I was trying to gain weight I took em before and after workouts (and with every meal) If you don't take one after a workout make sure you eat something, it doesn't have to have as much protein as a shake. It's very important to eat after a workout, even if you're not trying to gain weight

I drink it after my work out then i would have one in the morning the next day with my breakfast...so thats 2 protein drinks a day

Protein shakes provide energy and help increase muscle mass. Try a protein powder like Designer Whey, you can mix it with whatever you want and the aftertaste isn't as gross as some.

My favorite was to take chocolate deisgner whey and blend it with chocolate fudge brownie ice cream. Then again, I had to gain fat as well as muscle

I've drank a few protein shakes in past years. I knew I was meant to take them in place of meals. But I was usually using them in addition to meals. It was back at a time when I was trying to put on weight, gain muscle, etc. Honestly, they tasted damn good. In fact, even talking about it sort of makes me want to run to the store and see if they have any in stock.

I had heard of protein shake from a colleague. That it will give your energy a boost and you can even substitute it for meals. So good for people on a diet. But our family doctor had advised me against it. He would always remind me that natural is the best. And if I really wanted to lose weight, he suggested a regimen that would include not only my food intake and the type of food I would eat but also the activities. Unfortunately, cycling is not one of the activities in the list because, the doc said, it is strenuous for one who is on a diet.

Corzhens said:
I had heard of protein shake from a colleague. That it will give your energy a boost and you can even substitute it for meals. So good for people on a diet. But our family doctor had advised me against it. He would always remind me that natural is the best. And if I really wanted to lose weight, he suggested a regimen that would include not only my food intake and the type of food I would eat but also the activities. Unfortunately, cycling is not one of the activities in the list because, the doc said, it is strenuous for one who is on a diet.
If you want to lose weight you need to lay off the rice and bread. A high protein diet is definitely in order. Your doctor is right about natural is better. But the prices for animal protein is too expensive if you are to stick to the 2 grams of protein per 1 pound of lean muscle. Do you know how much meat you have to eat to get to 200 grams of protein a day? That's expensive, hence one of the reasons why protein shakes is a viable option.

I usually try to get protein from natural source as much as possible such as from eggs, milk, and meat. Only during the time when I need a lot of protein and it was not practical for me to get those from actual meat. For example, I usually buy one from Wal Mart and keep it in the drawer just in case during my weight training period. If the amount of protein intake for that day was not sufficient and I was already full from all of the meals I ate, then I can just use that supply to fulfill the insufficient amount of protein.

I never had a protein shake, but I do know people that have them and their body hasn't stopped growing and I am not talking about the belly area. I am guessing that they work out too. :)

Sunflogun said:
I never had a protein shake, but I do know people that have them and their body hasn't stopped growing and I am not talking about the belly area. I am guessing that they work out too. :)
I'm sure they are eating other things that are making their bellies big. Protein shakes and protein in general won't go directly to belly fat. Carbs, starches, and sugars spike your insulin levels and are then stored into fat cells. Protein doesn't spike your insulin levels and that get transformed into energy.

Protein shakes are good to nurture muscle cells and to build lean muscle. Whey protein is very good as Joshposh pointed out. The daily minimum requirement for an adult is 80 mg of protein food. Those who do aggressive bodybuilding consume up to 500 mg of proteins per day.

Instead of limiting yourself to protein shakes, you would do well to consume fresh lean meats which provide you with quality protein along with minerals and Methyl cobalamin, (B12). This vitamin is important for renewing and invigorating red blood cells.

Most people take one nutrient alone while the fact is that our body is a system and needs all round nutrition on a daily basis.

For protein shakes, rated by taste, I prefer BSN's Syntha-6 Whey protein, then ON's Rocky Road. However, I tend to buy ON's because it's slightly healthier, and cheaper.

For weight gainers, although I haven't tried too many, I prefer the Vitamin Shoppe's brand, chocolate flavor.