Protein Shakes

Tired of drinking the same boring, bland tasting proteins shakes? Try this superb shake and mix things up with fresh ingredients.

joshposh said:
I'm sure they are eating other things that are making their bellies big. Protein shakes and protein in general won't go directly to belly fat. Carbs, starches, and sugars spike your insulin levels and are then stored into fat cells. Protein doesn't spike your insulin levels and that get transformed into energy.
Actually I was saying the opposite, they have grown in muscles, but I am not really a fan of that, those bodies simply look artificial.

StrawberryCat said:
Who else here drinks protein shakes?

I recently started to get even more interested in protein shakes (I'm also new to cycling by the way) so I need some new and good tasting recipes. I absolutely love anything with berries or chocolate in it. Does anyone have any recommendations? Let's use this thread to share our favorite protein shake recipes.
I always go with a cheap whey Isolate. Soy protein is no good for men (estrogen production and all that) and the isolate really gets it down to what you need. My favorite energy go to is to blend up some quick oats, protein powder, chia seeds, and maybe some powdered milk. All you do is add water and you've got quick carbs, complex carbs and protein to slow it all down. This right here is the holy grail for me. I got into it when I was a mover all day long and needed the real food energy over caffeine and other ****. I promise you, this combo right here will save your bacon!

I prefer Whey Protein, but the 100% whey protein, I take before and after a ride, helps with muscle recovery and provides your body for the right nutrients for building and maintaining muscle, if that is what you are after

Making a protein shake from nuts, seeds, spirulina or cacao is s good way to go. If you must use a premixed protein powder, use RAW powder, as it is made from sprouted nuts and grains with enzymes only whole food can provide. Whey proteins support factory farms which is not humane nor healthy for the ecosystem, of which your body is a part. Add organic yogurt if you miss the dairy.
Making a protein shake from nuts, seeds, spirulina or cacao is s good way to go. If you must use a premixed protein powder, use RAW powder, as it is made from sprouted nuts and grains with enzymes only whole food can provide. Whey proteins support factory farms which is not humane nor healthy for the ecosystem, of which your body is a part. Add organic yogurt if you miss the dairy.

If I was rich enough I would hire myself a nutritionist to teach and feed me to that I would become healthier. I am really needing it.

Sure, i use to drink a lot of whey protein shakes. This is really good for you. Now I just do different fruit shakes. Whatever you like make it with just one fruit or mix them. It is actually easier to digest if it is just one. I add seeds or nuts to bump the protein up. Sometimes I add spinach or kale to it. This way I get some greens with it too.

I used to take protein drinks or shakes and sometimes as meal replacements. I am done with this because I am certain that the food I eat is enough to provide my daily protein needs. I would not want my kidneys to suffer from excessive protein intake.

On the topic of how much protein, there is actually plenty of research that you dont need all that much to maintain muscle. .8grams per body weight is enough compared to what fitness magazines want us to believe... but i do like my whey and mix it with veggies in my smoothies

I used to drink these shakes called Boost. I loved the chocolate one. They have other flavors too, but chocolate was my favorite. I haven't had them in a while, but I loved them.

I like drinking them for a breakfast and after a ride since it is like a light meal and there are plenty of flavor choices available. Besides that those are quite a cheap and you can mix them yourselves.

My brother was into protein shakes a while back when he was still active in body building and going to the gym. I forgot what kind of protein powder or what brand it was, but it was chocolate flavored and he drank it before and after hitting the gym. It actually gave good results since he gained weight and muscle mass after some months of exercising and intake of the drink. But there also others who just gained weight while drinking protein shakes because they do not take it with exercise and physical activity. I think it should always be accompanied by exercise so you can use the extra proteins and nutrients from the drink. It is great that you are active in cycling while taking this drink. To add some extra nutrients and taste, you can incorporate different fruits in the shakes like bananas, berries, mangoes, and also some carbohydrates like oat meals or cereal flakes, and use it as a substitute for milk.

Personally in the beginning I HATED protein shakes. The taste was gross, and I know many people are just like "Man Up" which is essentially what I ended up doing. However, due to my personal goals of gaining weight now I throw in a bunch of things into my protein shake that I rarely taste the protein powder. Peanut butter is a great sub to put into shakes if anyone is looking into gaining some weight. I put in so much that it's all I taste. I also throw in some oats, fruits, vegetables, all sorts of different healthy things to reach my personal goals.

Nothing special in my protein shake. I take whey protein. If I do go to the gym like I use to, I would drink anywhere between 50 to 100 grams of protein. Just maintain the muscle you have now, you to take at least 2 grams of protein per pound of lean muscle mass.

When I go to the gym I take 25g of whey isolate protein with in 20 minutes of completing my workout. Then, before I go to bed I take another 25g of casein protein. The whey takes care of the immediate need for protein following a hard workout and the casein slowly releases into your body as you sleep which is when your body is recovering from the workout. My two favorite protein brands are Universal Animal (tastes the best) and Optimum Gold Standard.

I have never been able to do those protein shakes where you scoop the powder in, that just seems wrong to me. I usually try to get most of my protein through food so I avoid shakes, plus they do not really agree with my stomach all the time. I make little granola bars with lots of sunflower seeds and almonds and really count on those to get me through any prolonged workout.

I have a lot of Forever brand protein mix at home but I rarely use it. I don't think it is necessary as long as you have a good multivitamin and can afford meat and fish products. I'd much rather have a nice chicken breast or piece of salmon than a milkshake due to being type 1 diabetic anyway. Less carbs/sugar!

Having proteins is fine, but remember, the body never utilizes the extra protein. The extra protein is not metabolized, it is simply excreted as uric acid. Excess can cause Gouts. So, before taking any protein drink, it is advisable to consult with a doctor regarding the requirements.

Who else here drinks protein shakes?

I recently started to get even more interested in protein shakes (I'm also new to cycling by the way) so I need some new and good tasting recipes. I absolutely love anything with berries or chocolate in it. Does anyone have any recommendations? Let's use this thread to share our favorite protein shake recipes.
I have not tried them yet but I would love to try them. I have heard about the 'protein shakes'. I use the natural food products for my protein needs but I would love to try the protein shakes as the protein content is very high.