Protein Shakes

I use whey protein powder when I go to the gym it has the highest concentration of amino acids that's absorbed by the body quickly. it's good for adding mass and can make you stronger, I think it's better to drink it after riding to help your body replenish loss energy. It's not advisable to drink it before or during your ride. You have to trust me on that lol.

I make my own protein shakes at home. They include sesame seeds, chia or cashew nuts that boost my energy when I feel low. I like to combine the seeds and nuts with soy milk, bananas, mangoes or guavas, add a little raw chocolate powder and stevia, and off I go.
I've never bought any processed protein shakes from a store. There are too many ingredients that I am allergic to. Also, a lot of them contain a substantial amount of artificial sugars.
Neither do I. Based on the fact I'm lactose intolerant, and most of the protein shakes available in my country include dairies, then obviously I have to avoid them. Usually I solve this issue by mixing veggie milk with oatmeal, chia, and flaxseed. Adding some fruit like bananas and guava, give an extra delicious flavor, and with a tea spoon of peanut butter tastes amazing.

I don't think it's necessary to drink protein shakes when you're just cycling and don't really build up a lot of muscle mass. It helps when you also go to the gym, but there are better choices for cycling.

I don't think it's necessary to drink protein shakes when you're just cycling and don't really build up a lot of muscle mass.

I honestly have to agree with this. While it is a fact that cycling does work muscles such as the quadriceps, hamstrings, and calves, I don't think the effect is anywhere near as prominent as during weight training. I can understand using protein shakes in the case of endurance biking, where you're biking hard for long hours. In this case, you actually might be tearing muscle fibers in the way that you do during strength training, prompting the need for extra protein.

But for the average cyclist who only does 30-40 minutes of daily riding with moderate intensity, you're probably not going to need much more protein than you would get from your regular diet.

My favorite protein shake and actually it's really applicable right now, specially in our weather right now, and it's chocolate coffee shake, and ingredients are so easy to find, like chocolate protein powder, skim milk, ice, water and coffee, just blend and enjoy.

Me too. I like them flavored chocolate or sweet berry mix. What's great about it is that it tastes really good. I take it in the morning before going outside.

I honestly have to agree with this. While it is a fact that cycling does work muscles such as the quadriceps, hamstrings, and calves, I don't think the effect is anywhere near as prominent as during weight training. I can understand using protein shakes in the case of endurance biking, where you're biking hard for long hours. In this case, you actually might be tearing muscle fibers in the way that you do during strength training, prompting the need for extra protein.

But for the average cyclist who only does 30-40 minutes of daily riding with moderate intensity, you're probably not going to need much more protein than you would get from your regular diet.

Yeah, while extra protein isn't bad for anyone, the problem is that protein shakes, especially the prepared or flavored ones, hav a lot of sugar content which is actually worse, so it's best to just stick with your regular high-protein meals if you really want the extra protein, or make your own shake (but some don't appreciate the taste).

Yeah, while extra protein isn't bad for anyone, the problem is that protein shakes, especially the prepared or flavored ones, hav a lot of sugar content which is actually worse

Yeah, whether you're a body builder or just someone looking to add more protein into your diet, I'd really try to avoid pre-made protein shakes. As you said, most of them have a stupid amount of sugar and the extra calories really aren't conducive to someone trying to lose weight or live a healthy lifestyle.

Though most protein powders, even the flavored ones, are fine in terms of sugar. For example, I used to take Optimum Nutrition's "Double Rich Chocolate" flavor whey protein, and it only had one gram of sugar. It had the flavor of chocolate without the sweetness. Admittedly it tasted like blended dirt if you didn't mix it with bananas to add sweetness and peanut butter for extra flavor/protein, but you'd be hard pressed to find a protein powder--or any food for that matter--that tastes deliciously sweet and is low on calories.