Protein supplement to aid recovery. Dairy free!

BlueJersey

Jan 5, 2005
Just try to find some easy to get protein supplement with dairy free to aid for recovery. I have been using the Cytomax Recovery drink mix. I seem to run out of them really quick since they are only 12 serving per bucket.

BlueJersey said:
Just try to find some easy to get protein supplement with dairy free to aid for recovery. I have been using the Cytomax Recovery drink mix. I seem to run out of them really quick since they are only 12 serving per bucket.

They probably use whey? That's dairy. Soy? Not as good in some ways. Vitamin Shoppe and elsewhere sell egg (white) protein that my wife mixes into yogurt and soy milk.

Carbs are easy to get so maybe just do a protein drink and eat real food for the carbs part?

WarrenG said:
They probably use whey? That's dairy. Soy? Not as good in some ways. Vitamin Shoppe and elsewhere sell egg (white) protein that my wife mixes into yogurt and soy milk.

Carbs are easy to get so maybe just do a protein drink and eat real food for the carbs part?
Out of curiosity why is soy protein less desirable? On another forum that I read a vegan has asked about whey - they know its dairy based, but are still considering adding whey based products to their diet if it will really help for recovery, but I think they would prefer to use soy.

Eden said:
Out of curiosity why is soy protein less desirable? On another forum that I read a vegan has asked about whey - they know its dairy based, but are still considering adding whey based products to their diet if it will really help for recovery, but I think they would prefer to use soy.

Lengthy answer would be best...
:(

Try Google on those terms.

Eden said:
The BV rating for whey is among the highest of any protein source. Bilogical value is a rating system based on absorbtion and utilization.

The BV ratings:
Whey = 104
Egg = 100
Casienate = 91
Beef = 80
Soy = 74

So for the money (economics vs. efficiency in assimilation) you can see which have the best bang for the buck if one is spending money for supplemental proteins. One could spend as much for a trendy soy protein and yet not have the same yield, however, some have to pick the source based on any food allergies or eating principles such as certain vegetarians may not desire a source derived from an animal.

Felt_Rider said:
The BV rating for whey is among the highest of any protein source. Bilogical value is a rating system based on absorbtion and utilization.

The BV ratings:
Whey = 104
Egg = 100
Casienate = 91
Beef = 80
Soy = 74

So for the money (economics vs. efficiency in assimilation) you can see which have the best bang for the buck if one is spending money for supplemental proteins. One could spend as much for a trendy soy protein and yet not have the same yield, however, some have to pick the source based on any food allergies or eating principles such as certain vegetarians may not desire a source derived from an animal.
Thanks! I hope you don't mind, I'm going to copy your answer over to her.

There is also a link between the ingestion of soy protein and the risk of developing other food allergies, especially peanut allergies.

Felt_Rider said:

The BV ratings:
Whey = 104
Egg = 100
Casienate = 91
Beef = 80
Soy = 74

Yeah, but if calories are an issue, which seems to be the case for most people who are taking extra protein, then meat is a much better choice than whey as it has far fewer calories per gram of protein. Shrimp is one of the best sources of protein, by far, with the fewest calories and fat for the protein you get from it. Then various other fish like tuna, then poultry, then beef. Veggies are far worse in that regard. I do eat dried edamame (soy beans you get in sushi restaurants), as they are far better than most vegetables as a source of protein, but I do eat fish/meat too in part because of the amino acids and omega-3.

It's kind of hard to take shrimp along with you on a ride though. ;)

DennistheMennis said:
Yeah, but if calories are an issue, which seems to be the case for most people who are taking extra protein, then meat is a much better choice than whey as it has far fewer calories per gram of protein.

Huh? Both are 4 calories per gram of protein.

WarrenG said:
Huh? Both are 4 calories per gram of protein.
Hmmm... we must be talking about different whey sources. The natural version is about 27-30 calories/g protein. Isolates are lower of course, but usually more like 5 cal/g; still not as low as the 3.8 cal/g of shrimp.

I projected my own preference of eating less- or un-processed foods. Sorry if I confused the issue! :)

DennistheMennis said:
Hmmm... we must be talking about different whey sources. The natural version is about 27-30 calories/g protein. Isolates are lower of course, but usually more like 5 cal/g; still not as low as the 3.8 cal/g of shrimp.

I projected my own preference of eating less- or un-processed foods. Sorry if I confused the issue! :)
I think you and WarrenG are not talking about the same thing. Regardless of the source, protein is 4 calories per gram, carbohydrates are 4 calories per gram, alcohol is 7 calories per gram, and fat is 9 calories per gram. If natural whey is 27-30 calories per gram of protein, then it is not pure whey protein. Whey in its natural state, a by product of cheese production, also contains carbohydrate (lactose) and fat. One gram of protein is four calories. The other 23 to 26 calories must be from the fat and lactose that is also ingested to get one gram of protein from whey.

DennistheMennis said:
Yeah, but if calories are an issue, which seems to be the case for most people who are taking extra protein, then meat is a much better choice than whey as it has far fewer calories per gram of protein. Shrimp is one of the best sources of protein, by far, with the fewest calories and fat for the protein you get from it. Then various other fish like tuna, then poultry, then beef. Veggies are far worse in that regard. I do eat dried edamame (soy beans you get in sushi restaurants), as they are far better than most vegetables as a source of protein, but I do eat fish/meat too in part because of the amino acids and omega-3.

It's kind of hard to take shrimp along with you on a ride though. ;)
No big deal, but I was only answering a specific question by Eden as to soy vs. whey. I didn't intend on providing any other input to the discussion.

Maybe I could market shrimp gel packs? :)

WarrenG said:
Shrimp Scampi? I'll take a box. And twice-baked garlic mashed potatoes if ya got 'em.
Oh man.....my wife made me some twice-baked potatoes last night for my b-day dinner. I seared a marinated london broil steak on the grill to go with the potatoes. mmmmm....good!!!