Protein/Weight training & chest/heart pains?

DanBB

Aug 6, 2003
Basically, i want to put on a bit of muscular weight, not too much just a little as my body feels weak. Im currently 9 stone 12 pounds and just under 6ft, i would like to gain another 7 pounds or so. I know this wont help in cycling, but thats a sacrifice im willing to take. Im eating loads around 3500 calories a day, to achieve that i've been drinking a couple of protein shakes a day which give me about 60 grams of protein for both. Now could this increase in food intake and protein be bad for my body, i mean i f my body doesnt want to gain weight then should i try so hard? I dont know if its related but my chest, near my heart is giving a dull ache, cud this be because of the amount of protein in the blood. My heart is pefectly healthy so dont go telling me to see a doctor straight away! i was also thinking that it might be related to the weight training im doing instead, like bench press which could affect my chest muscles or something?
Sorry for the long message, but i hope someone can help :(
Danny

I would not be worried about increased protein intake leading to heart-related chest pain. As you suggested, the weight training is more likely. If you can press on an area and bring on the pain, it is almost certainly musculo-skeletal pain.
If on the other hand, the pain comes on with exertion and is associated with shortness of breath & sweating, then you will need to get your heart checked out.
If the pain comes with either eating or with an empty stomach, stomach ulcers or acid reflux could be the cause.

As for the weight gain, you are doing the right thing by increasing your caloric intake but you may be one of the lucky/unlucky people who's metabolic rate will compensate and make weight gain difficult. More carbs will often help with weight gain (but not necessarily muscle gain!).

Originally posted by patch70
I would not be worried about increased protein intake leading to heart-related chest pain. As you suggested, the weight training is more likely. If you can press on an area and bring on the pain, it is almost certainly musculo-skeletal pain.
If on the other hand, the pain comes on with exertion and is associated with shortness of breath & sweating, then you will need to get your heart checked out.
If the pain comes with either eating or with an empty stomach, stomach ulcers or acid reflux could be the cause.

As for the weight gain, you are doing the right thing by increasing your caloric intake but you may be one of the lucky/unlucky people who's metabolic rate will compensate and make weight gain difficult. More carbs will often help with weight gain (but not necessarily muscle gain!).

Hey thanx Patch70! thats really useful. I havnt really had the pain since yesterday, so i havnt had a chance to press on the area for pain, will do next time though.I dont get the pain from high exertion, but i do get a little breathless and very sweaty but i think thats because i train quite hard, for instance earlier i held 40 kph for an hour on an indoor trainer, that might not be that impressive but it does require a fair amount of effort from the heart, so getting sweaty and breathing hard are to expected right? As for me being able to put on weight, im gonna try damn hard if my body likes it or not, but if i just cant gain then i will leave it at that and accept that my body is happy the way it is, im glad that the increased protein intake is nothing to worry about to.

Thanx mate :D

If you can hold 40km/hr for an hour, you have every right to be breathless and sweaty!