Protest rallies a huge success

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Mojo, Dec 1, 2005.

  1. Mojo

    Mojo Guest

    Tags:

  2. Your blog has made it clear that you don't like high racers, the
    Bacchetta Company, and it's owners? So what do you ride and why do
    like it?

    Jim Reilly
    Reading, PA

  3. [email protected] wrote:
    > Your blog has made it clear that you don't like high racers, the
    > Bacchetta Company, and it's owners? So what do you ride and why do
    > like it?

    The HRS blog has had positive comments about Volae (relative to other
    highracers), Trek upright road bikes, the Velokraft NoCom, the Optima
    Baron and the ReBike.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

  4. I was hoping to hear a response from Mojo directly but I suppose an
    indirect response from the political arm of the Mojo Republican Army
    will have to do.

    Jim

  5. [email protected] wrote:
    > I was hoping to hear a response from Mojo directly but I suppose an
    > indirect response from the political arm of the Mojo Republican Army
    > will have to do.

    If this were the case, I should be getting a free Velokraft NoCom as
    payment for my services.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

  6. Maybe you will. Chirstmas is coming. All joking aside, the NoCom
    looks amazing! Still the position of the rider's legs as well as the
    chain has me wondering how far one could turn the front wheel before
    hitting one or the other. What do you know about that?

    Jim, still near Reading, PA

  7. Mark Leuck

    Mark Leuck Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Maybe you will. Chirstmas is coming. All joking aside, the NoCom
    > looks amazing! Still the position of the rider's legs as well as the
    > chain has me wondering how far one could turn the front wheel before
    > hitting one or the other. What do you know about that?
    >
    > Jim, still near Reading, PA

    I rode one a month ago, forget about turning the front wheel more than a few
    degrees. The NoCom is a nice looking but impractical bike, I'll stick with
    my Baron

  8. Jim Reilly who is still near Reading, PA ([email protected]) wrote:
    > Maybe you will. Chirstmas is coming. All joking aside, the NoCom
    > looks amazing! Still the position of the rider's legs as well as the
    > chain has me wondering how far one could turn the front wheel before
    > hitting one or the other. What do you know about that?

    I have ridden a couple of lowracers that run the chain by the front
    wheel (this is an option on the Earth Cycles Sunset Lowracer [TM]).
    Useable steering "lock" is rather limited in this arrangement. The two
    situations where wheel/chain interference are generally an issue are
    when starting out and when making tight turns. The former can be dealt
    with by proper starting technique, i.e., have the bike vertical, in the
    proper gear, and the crank/pedals in an orientation that allows the
    rider to generate the largest possible force on the pedal. The later
    can be addressed by riding in a vehicular manner; i.e. not attempting
    any maneuvers that one would not do in a motor vehicle. Negotiating
    certain bike paths with sharps turns could be a problem, but this is
    not the ideal environment for a bicycle like the Velokraft NoCom [1]
    which begs to be ridden at higher speeds. At the 20+ mph (35+ kph)
    speeds easily obtained on the NoCom, limited steering lock will not be
    an issue.

    [1] Until proven otherwise, the Velokraft NoCom is the fastest "Stock
    Class" bicycle in the known universe.

    --

  9. Mark Leuck wrote:
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Maybe you will. Chirstmas is coming. All joking aside, the NoCom
    > > looks amazing! Still the position of the rider's legs as well as the
    > > chain has me wondering how far one could turn the front wheel before
    > > hitting one or the other. What do you know about that?
    > >
    > > Jim, still near Reading, PA

    > I rode one a month ago, forget about turning the front wheel more than a few
    > degrees. The NoCom is a nice looking but impractical bike, I'll stick with
    > my Baron[.]

    Standard or "low" Baron? The large amount of tiller is very noticeable
    on the stock Optima Baron setup, but it still handles quite well at
    lower speeds.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

  10. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Jim Reilly who is still near Reading, PA ([email protected]) wrote:
    >> Maybe you will. Chirstmas is coming. All joking aside, the NoCom
    >> looks amazing! Still the position of the rider's legs as well as the
    >> chain has me wondering how far one could turn the front wheel before
    >> hitting one or the other. What do you know about that?

    > I have ridden a couple of lowracers that run the chain by the front
    > wheel (this is an option on the Earth Cycles Sunset Lowracer [TM]).
    > Useable steering "lock" is rather limited in this arrangement. The two
    > situations where wheel/chain interference are generally an issue are
    > when starting out and when making tight turns. The former can be dealt
    > with by proper starting technique, i.e., have the bike vertical, in the
    > proper gear, and the crank/pedals in an orientation that allows the
    > rider to generate the largest possible force on the pedal. The later
    > can be addressed by riding in a vehicular manner; i.e. not attempting
    > any maneuvers that one would not do in a motor vehicle. Negotiating
    > certain bike paths with sharps turns could be a problem, but this is
    > not the ideal environment for a bicycle like the Velokraft NoCom [1]
    > which begs to be ridden at higher speeds. At the 20+ mph (35+ kph)
    > speeds easily obtained on the NoCom, limited steering lock will not be
    > an issue.

    In other words, a good bike for ideal riding conditions. However, in the
    real world there hardly ever exist ideal riding conditions, most especially
    not in urban areas. No thank you! I want a bike I can ride easily and
    handily under any and all conditions. This includes really bad roads, sharp
    turns, totally congested conditions where going slow is mandatory, ... the
    list just goes on and on.

    Some bikes are designed more for the race track than real roads. Anyone here
    into racing? I thought not!

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

    > [1] Until proven otherwise, the Velokraft NoCom is the fastest "Stock
    > Class" bicycle in the known universe.
    >
    > --
    > Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

    PS. Mr. Sherman could just as easily have put his footnote in parenthesis in
    the body of his message, thereby sparing us the tedium of having to look for
    it in the cellar. One of these days I am going to write a long essay and
    post it here on ARBR on why none of us should ever use footnotes. It is
    nothing but a scholarly affectation which has no place here. As a former
    college librarian who had to deal with these confounded things all the time,
    I HATE FOOTNOTES! Does Mr. Sherman do this just to irritate me?

  11. Mark Leuck

    Mark Leuck Guest

    "Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Mark Leuck wrote:
    > > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > > > Maybe you will. Chirstmas is coming. All joking aside, the NoCom
    > > > looks amazing! Still the position of the rider's legs as well as the
    > > > chain has me wondering how far one could turn the front wheel before
    > > > hitting one or the other. What do you know about that?
    > > >
    > > > Jim, still near Reading, PA

    > > I rode one a month ago, forget about turning the front wheel more than a

    few
    > > degrees. The NoCom is a nice looking but impractical bike, I'll stick

    with
    > > my Baron[.]

    > Standard or "low" Baron? The large amount of tiller is very noticeable
    > on the stock Optima Baron setup, but it still handles quite well at
    > lower speeds.
    >
    > --
    > Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

    Standard, I find the tiller not noticeable however I also don't think it
    handles well at lower speeds

  12. Mark Leuck wrote:

    > Standard [Optima Baron], I find the tiller not noticeable...

    Try riding a bike with linkage steering or minimal tiller for
    comparison purposes.

    > however I also don't think it handles well at lower speeds[.]

    Handling is relative - I have ridden some recumbents that I would not
    want to ride in close proximity to other riders due to control issues
    [1].

    [1] The Optima Baron is not one of these [2].
    [2] Gratuitous footnote for Ed Dolan.
    --

  13. Edward Dolan wrote:
    > In other words, a good bike for ideal riding conditions. However, in the
    > real world there hardly ever exist ideal riding conditions, most especially
    > not in urban areas. No thank you! I want a bike I can ride easily and
    > handily under any and all conditions. This includes really bad roads, sharp
    > turns, totally congested conditions where going slow is mandatory, ... the
    > list just goes on and on.

    Reportedly, there is a practical lowracer out there if one is willing
    to sacrifice some of the performance of the Velokraft NoCom [1]. This
    practical lowracer is called the Earth Cycles Sunset Lowracer. However,
    I understand that some Sunset owners post about their bikes with
    excessive frequency on Internet forums.

    [1] Fastest Unfaired Bike in the Known Universe.
    --
    Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

  14. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Mark Leuck wrote:
    >>
    >> Standard [Optima Baron], I find the tiller not noticeable...

    > Try riding a bike with linkage steering or minimal tiller for
    > comparison purposes.
    >
    >> however I also don't think it handles well at lower speeds[.]

    > Handling is relative - I have ridden some recumbents that I would not
    > want to ride in close proximity to other riders due to control issues
    > [1].
    >
    > [1] The Optima Baron is not one of these [2].
    > [2] Gratuitous footnote for Ed Dolan.
    > --
    > Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

    Yes! Yes! I knew all along that Mr. Sherman was posting his abominable
    footnotes just to irritate me.

    Scholars have persecuted me like forever with their abominable footnotes. As
    much as I would like to ignore them, I find that I can't. I will follow a
    footnote all the way to Hell and back. Many times in the past I have
    actually spent much more time on footnotes than I ever did on the body of
    the text. The general reader will not normally bother with footnotes, but my
    training as a librarian has forever prevented me from enjoying that luxury.

    I plead with Mr. Sherman to go easy on the footnotes. If he causes my early
    demise from such shenanigans, I will have my estate bring suit against him
    for harassment.

    One other thing that bothers me out of all proportion to its true
    significance is Mark Leuck's not putting periods at the end of his
    sentences. I also know that he does this just to irritate me. I have
    instructed him on this matter repeatedly, but he refuses to listen to my
    sage counsel.

    It is clear that my vast learning and wisdom are not appreciated here on
    ARBR. I will have to dumb myself down in order to communicate better with
    the denizens of ARBR.

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  15. nget

    nget New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2004
    And the question is,what recumbent team won its category for the 2005 Race across America?
    Second question for Tom, your universe or the one the rest of us live in?

  16. nget who? wrote:
    > And the question is,what recumbent team won its category for the 2005
    > Race across America?...

    Apples and oranges. Put calibrated power measuring cranks/BB on a
    properly setup NoCom and any highracer and see which is faster under
    identical power outputs and conditions. Enough said.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

  17. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic wrote:

    > Apples and oranges. Put calibrated power measuring cranks/BB on a
    > properly setup NoCom and any highracer and see which is faster under
    > identical power outputs and conditions. Enough said.

    You can go for a suitably bumpy track where 26" or 700c wheels will have
    significantly superior rolling characteristics to anything smaller. Of
    course, some Real Roads fall into that category, so it's possible a Real
    Race on Real Roads will not favour bespoke racing machinery like the NoCom.

    My Streetmachine has left behind a carbon upright racer that is
    /usually/ faster and has a fitter, better rider than me when we came
    upon a really poor road and my suspension just soaked up all the warts
    that the wedgie had to go up and down in each one's entirety. The NoCom
    is named for no compromises to make it "practical" for "normal" riding,
    but some of those compromises are genuinely useful on real roads,
    especially when they're poor.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  18. Mojo

    Mojo Guest

    jrei,

    On the contrary, HRS strives to provide the most up to date, accurate
    investigative research for all types of HIGHBIKES, Bitch Shidda,
    Volae, Challenge, Flevo, etc.

    Our commitment is to first and foremost, be the official source for
    unbiased, truthful information.

    You and the readership will ultimately decide what is pertinent for
    your decisions.

    Mojo - CEO

  19. Mojo

    Mojo Guest

    Tom,

    Word is, you were sorely missed at a famous Midwestern Recumbent Party
    this weekend. Event organizers apparantly lost your emai address.

    Trust me, your position regarding recent discussions on this forum
    were one of the topics amongst the partygoer's.

    Should you have come, perhaps a NoCom would have been farfetched but
    I'll guarantee you plenty of good company, food, and spirits.

    BTW, would you please send me your current email address at our
    customer service division? [email protected]

    Mojo - CEO

  20. nget

    nget New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2004
    Is this true, a no com with power assist? You'll never get away with that at any race I know of.