ProTour rankings balances

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by JRMDC, Aug 21, 2006.

1. JRMDC

JRMDC New Member

I don't know how much stock people put into the ProTour points competition, but I find it interesting/amusing that, should Hincapie win the ENECO tour, he would get at least 55 points (overall plus two stages), which would put him 6th or 7th overall, behind Basso, ahead of Evans. Ballan could move up and so also pick up points. (As of now 2nd place is blank.)

So, what do you think of the system? Evans gets 55 points for Romandie, Hincapie gets 55 for ENECO. Evans gets 50 for TdF, Hincapie gets 35 for Flanders and 15 for Gent-Wevelgem (and 10 for Tirreno-Adriatico). I think the "strength of schedule" factor favors Evans big time (as far as I know, the only current Top 25 rider at ENECO is Ballan), but Evans has no points from one-day races.

It seems pretty imbalanced, but then, how does one get proper balance? One way would be to revise the points per race to reflect who ended up riding there; a lot of teams did not send their best riders to ENECO (and what will happen in Poland?).

It's quite a pile of numbers, maybe we need some cyclo-metrics!

PS: Who noticed, but apparently bottom-ranked FdJeux won the team competition at Roubaix?

Tags:

2. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

That is a good idea and woud be better than what they have today, but I do not think there is a way to make one point system that covers one day races, short stage races, GTs, and GT stages.

Look at GT stage wins. They are given three points. On one hand that might be fair for wins by sprinters. It should take a lot of Giro stage wins by Petacchi to equal the points of a Flanders win by Boonen. On the other hand it is a stingy amount of points for a rider who wins a GT stage in a break like Rasmussen TdF win.

At least they got rid of that stupidity of points being given just for wearing the leader's jersey in a GT. Again that might have been fair to award Voeckler, but it usually resulted in the GT winner getting an inordinate amount of points for doing one three week race a year.

3. JRMDC

JRMDC New Member

It has been increased for GTs this year. The stage podium placings in the TdF are 10, 5, and 3 points; in the Vuelta and Giro 8, 5, and 2; and for all other stage races 3, 2, and 1.

4. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

Then that makes it so sprinters get too many points. Should five wins by McEwen in the Tour equal a victory at LBL? Should McEwen winning a sprint at the TdF, sort of normal day at the office for him, be equal to Voight winning a stage with an all day break? The poiint I was trying to make is that if you give too many points then sprinters will end up with huge number of points and dominate the rankings, but if you give too little then the small rider who pulls off the big win of his season, maybe his career, by winning a GT stage does not get an adequate reward.

5. JRMDC

JRMDC New Member

Does that rider need any more reward? :) He has his career win! So what if he end up 80th instead of 25th on the ProTour ranking. :)

We know Hincapie would consider 55 ENECO points a fair trade for 50 Roubaix points. :) He'd do it in an instant!