Protruding Campy axle from dropouts

FasterthanU

Jun 29, 2004
Hey Dudes,

I ride an old 10sp supercourse and just upgraded my wheelset to campy. Of course with all upgrades come compatability issues. With my current setup, the axle sticks out about 1-2 mm from the dropouts, preventing the QRs from contracting properly. Were Campy's old freewheel quick release hubs meant to be paired with campy dropouts only? I can see that if the dropouts were thicker, there would be no problem. What is the best solution? Should I simply find some washers to ad to either side? Thanks dudes, FTU

FasterthanU said:
..With my current setup, the axle sticks out about 1-2 mm from the dropouts, preventing the QRs from contracting properly. ..What is the best solution? Should I simply find some washers to ad to either side?

Your other option would be to shorten the axle some, either by cutting or grinding. Compared to that adding some washers seems easier. If you're not concerned about maintaining compatibility with other rear wheels add one on each side, inboard the locknut. If general compatibility is a concern, only add washers on the NDS and shift the axle over slightly to compensate.

Any other information on this? Does anybody else know why the axles are protruding? Custom hub job? Thanks dudes...

I ride an old 10sp supercourse ...........
Your frame is designed for nutted axles not QR axles. Change the axle to nutted. ;)

Like I said in a previous reply, bring it over and i'll fix it for you. I am in WA. :)

gclark8 said:
Your frame is designed for nutted axles not QR axles. Change the axle to nutted. :)
Super Course always had quick-release hubs. They probably switched from French Normandy to some Japanese brand when they upgraded the model in the late 70s. I had one in 1970.

The stamped Super Course dropouts would be thinner than higher quality forged dropouts. The derailleur hanger might make up some thickness but just on the drive side.

gclark8 said:
Your frame is designed for nutted axles not QR axles. Change the axle to nutted. ;)

Like I said in a previous reply, bring it over and i'll fix it for you. I am in WA. :)

No such thing as a frame designed for nutted or QR hubs. The OP axle is too long for the rear spacing, he just needs to trim them.