Proud of my ride

bstephens

New Member
Jan 12, 2004
Hello people....

Just finishing up my ride for this year. Though I would share it with some people that might like to see it. I bought most of it last year. Only got about 500 or so miles on it before winter. I am not much of a winter rider myself but I get out when I can.

A little bit of back ground on the bike.

I got the frame first with ideas of finishing it by years end. It took about 3 weeks and I was hooked. I started by riding my Mtn bike last year on the road and sort of got hooked in to the whole "road" riding thing. SO here I am.....

A few of my decisions had little foundation at the time but I like where I am at now.

Giant TCR Team (bought late in the season so the Once logo's were stickers and not painted on) I happen to like the colors.

Campy throughout, Record 10s, Easton EC90 Bars 44cm 31.8, Look Carbon Stem, IRD Carbon Cranks, Egg beater pedels, Fizik Arione seat, Ergobrain, Campy Eurus wheels, and Tufo Tubular Clinchers....

Ok...that is about it.....I should point out that I am pretty big for a Road biker. 6'2 and 250 to 225 depending on the season :)

This is an XL frame and no TI at all. It tips the scales just under 17 pounds which I think is pretty good.

http://www.vsstech.net/biff/my_ride.jpg

Lets ride some where and have a beer....

Originally posted by David Reuteler
bstephens <[email protected]> wrote:
: http://www.vsstech.net/biff/my_ride.jpg

this is a much better photo of your bike.

http://www.vsstech.net/biff/MS150.JPG

: Lets ride some where and have a beer....

i'm gonna need that beer. NOW!
--
david reuteler [email protected]

Good one....I owe you a beer for reminding me to take the directory browsing off LOL The ms150 picture is at about mile 85 on the first day...

How about this one...

http://www.vsstech.net/biff/hooters.jpg

I was out of town, some friends thought they would take her out and have a good time....

bstephens <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Giant TCR Team (bought late in the season so the Once logo's were stickers and not painted on) I
> happen to like the colors.
>
> Campy throughout, Record 10s, Easton EC90 Bars 44cm 31.8, Look Carbon Stem, IRD Carbon Cranks, Egg
> beater pedels, Fizik Arione seat, Ergobrain, Campy Eurus wheels, and Tufo Tubular Clinchers....
>
> http://www.vsstech.net/biff/my_ride.jpg

That's an awesome bike, but.... why the eggbeaters? 8o.

Frank www.plitkorn.com

Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 12 Feb 2004 06:38:45 -0800, [email protected] (Ferenc Lovro) wrote:
> >> http://www.vsstech.net/biff/my_ride.jpg
> >
> >That's an awesome bike, but.... why the eggbeaters? 8o.
>
> Why not? They feel nice, are light, and look cool.

but imho they are made to resist mud while mountainbiking. and they have almost no contact surface
with one's shoes. light is right (i don't like the look, but that's my problem). but i just can't
get the point behind riding eggbeaters on a roadie. (unless the rider has only one pair of shoes
she/he would like to use with both her/his mtb/road bikes)

this isn't a flame, i'm just simply curious :eek:)

frank www.plitkorn.com

On 13 Feb 2004 00:22:58 -0800, [email protected] (Ferenc
Lovro) wrote:

>> >That's an awesome bike, but.... why the eggbeaters? 8o.
>>
>> Why not? They feel nice, are light, and look cool.
>
>but imho they are made to resist mud while mountainbiking. and they

To tell you the truth, I'm afraid to use them on my mtb. I have Shimano M545s on it, which allow me
to click out and ride like non-clipless when I'm doing something dangerous, so I'm not stuck to the
bike when I wipe out. It doesn't look so easy to do with egg beaters.

>have almost no contact surface with one's shoes. light is right (i don't like the look, but that's
>my problem). but i just can't get the point behind riding eggbeaters on a roadie.

Well, er...the point is that they feel nice, are light, and look cool. Also, they're really, really
easy to get into, without having to look down to see why you're not engaged when you're halfway
across an intersection full of rushing cars.

People with issues relating to small pedal/shoe contact surface oughtn't use them. I find that any
cycling shoes are stiff enough to deal with a small contact area, even though I weigh 210 pounds;
but truthfully, I haven't ridden the egg beaters much, just one short test ride after I got them for
christmas.

I'll write back if I have any problem with them after a long road ride.

One other thing, you can get egg beater cleats for unrecessed road shoes that make it easier to
walk: http://www.crankbrothers.com/products/accessories_roadcleat.php These would be great for
people who occasionally get off the bike, have unrecessed shoes, and don't like duck-walking.

My question is, why would anybody use a "road" pedal? The only answer I've ever gotten is the
large contact area providing extra support, and occasionally somebody worries about aerodynamics.
One-sided "road" pedals are no lighter, and tend to be more expensive, than good 2-sided
"mountain" pedals.

Reminiscent of Egg Beaters, I think these pedals look really cool, but I hear they've got quality
issues; and they're as expensive as they are light: http://www.m2racer.com/products.php?cat=2
--
Rick Onanian

Originally posted by Rick Onanian
Lovro) wrote:

>> >That's an awesome bike, but.... why the eggbeaters? 8o.
>>
>> Why not? They feel nice, are light, and look cool.
>
>but imho they are made to resist mud while mountainbiking. and they

To tell you the truth, I'm afraid to use them on my mtb. I have Shimano M545s on it, which allow me
to click out and ride like non-clipless when I'm doing something dangerous, so I'm not stuck to the
bike when I wipe out. It doesn't look so easy to do with egg beaters.

>have almost no contact surface with one's shoes. light is right (i don't like the look, but that's
>my problem). but i just can't get the point behind riding eggbeaters on a roadie.

Well, er...the point is that they feel nice, are light, and look cool. Also, they're really, really
easy to get into, without having to look down to see why you're not engaged when you're halfway
across an intersection full of rushing cars.

People with issues relating to small pedal/shoe contact surface oughtn't use them. I find that any
cycling shoes are stiff enough to deal with a small contact area, even though I weigh 210 pounds;
but truthfully, I haven't ridden the egg beaters much, just one short test ride after I got them for
christmas.

I'll write back if I have any problem with them after a long road ride.

One other thing, you can get egg beater cleats for unrecessed road shoes that make it easier to
walk: http://www.crankbrothers.com/products/accessories_roadcleat.php These would be great for
people who occasionally get off the bike, have unrecessed shoes, and don't like duck-walking.

My question is, why would anybody use a "road" pedal? The only answer I've ever gotten is the
large contact area providing extra support, and occasionally somebody worries about aerodynamics.
One-sided "road" pedals are no lighter, and tend to be more expensive, than good 2-sided
"mountain" pedals.

Reminiscent of Egg Beaters, I think these pedals look really cool, but I hear they've got quality
issues; and they're as expensive as they are light: http://www.m2racer.com/products.php?cat=2
--
Rick Onanian

Rick almost hit it right on the head. Here are my reasons for the eggbeaters.

They are very cool looking (imho), very light pedal as well 266 grams in this case.

I have seen links to the Orb pedals but I am over the 180 pound weight limit. I must have weighed 180 pounds in 8th or 9th grade LOL...

I use Time pedals on my mtn bike. So the lack of platform did not really bother me. I have always thought you get a much better experiance if you think outside of the typical road bike/ mtn bike box....

The other main reason is the walking. It is MUCH eaiser to walk in mtn bike pedals in your shoe than road pedals. I ride for fun and a good time....not for it to be a pain in the butt....

so thoses are my reasons for the pedals..I did not take it as a flame wither...:) I am loving the converstion about MY bike...it is cool....

Biff

Ferenc Lovro <[email protected]> wrote:

> but imho they are made to resist mud while mountainbiking. and they have almost no contact surface
> with one's shoes. light is right (i don't like the look, but that's my problem). but i just can't
> get the point behind riding eggbeaters on a roadie. (unless the rider has only one pair of shoes
> she/he would like to use with both her/his mtb/road bikes)

I've used EggBeaters on a road bike without any comfort issues due to the small contact surface.
I've done many rides around 100 miles, the longest being about 220 kilometres.

Other than that, I haven't been happy with them. The cleats wear very fast and so do the bearings.
They don't seem well sealed. I'm probably replacing them with Shimano SPD pedals, as I see no reason
to switch to a road pedal.

-as

Not too shabby! Looks like you forgot a few spokes, though <grin>.

Just put the last few touches on my own new "baby". got no pictues yet (if this thread still exists
when I get them uoploaded, I'll post the link).

Been glad to join you in that beer, but mine is a MTB!

"May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

I have been thinking of these pedals myself, not because of any ego factor, but because they look
ridiculously easy to get into. I currently have Wellgo (Nashbar) SPD style on my bike. I like them,
but sometimes it can be very hard locating the cleat on these.

Any feedback you may give on these (besides "look cool") is appreciated.

"May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Easiest peddle I've ever used for entry and exit is the Speedplay Zeros. After a few months, I don't
even have to look down anymore when starting up.

"Chris Zacho "The Wheelman"" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:19265-402D12C8-68@storefull-
3176.bay.webtv.net...
> I have been thinking of these pedals myself, not because of any ego factor, but because they look
> ridiculously easy to get into. I currently have Wellgo (Nashbar) SPD style on my bike. I like
> them, but sometimes it can be very hard locating the cleat on these.
>
> Any feedback you may give on these (besides "look cool") is appreciated.
>
> "May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills!"
>
> Chris Zacho ~ "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"
>
> Chris'Z Corner http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 15:37:35 GMT, bstephens
<[email protected]> wrote:
>The other main reason is the walking. It is MUCH eaiser to walk in mtn bike pedals in your shoe
>than road pedals. I ride for fun and a good time....not for it to be a pain in the butt....

And, conversely, I've often thought that road shoes with the cleat not recessed might work really
well for mountain biking. When I encounter a hill that I can't get up on the bike, I sometimes have
trouble getting the foot traction to scramble up it. A big ol' metal cleat sticking out might do the
trick nicely. On uneven dirt and grass surfaces, it wouldn't be so hard to walk in.

>wither...:) I am loving the converstion about MY bike...it is cool....

It's fun to discuss your own bike, eh?

I should post about my bike. Every time I do, the thread dies quickly. I guess nobody finds my stuff
that fascinating (or maybe I'm so verbose that people get bored and move on to the next thread).
--
Rick Onanian

Originally posted by Chris Zacho "Th
I have been thinking of these pedals myself, not because of any ego factor, but because they look
ridiculously easy to get into. I currently have Wellgo (Nashbar) SPD style on my bike. I like them,
but sometimes it can be very hard locating the cleat on these.

Any feedback you may give on these (besides "look cool") is appreciated.

"May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Chris,

Nice website by the way. I have been doing some looking around on it...I loved the "Low gear" reality check you had about the Kaiser Climb.

About the eggbeaters....I have used Time ATAC's for years. Same type of clip, so I figured that the "getting used to part" would be easy for me.

My main reason for getting them was weight though. In the below post he mentions Speedplays...very good pedal as well.....a way that they meet there low weight is some of the weight is in the cleat and forget walking in them eaisly. My girlfriend had some speed plays. We do a lot of group ride....MS 150...Ragbrai....and so forth.....we took a "short cut" one time and got cought in a dead end....did some hicking to get back to the main road....My cleats where fine...hers had sand in them and never worked right again.....she had to get a new set of cleats....

SO as I am sure 20 people have hit reply to that statement....slow down.....Speedplays are road cleats...walking in the dirt is wrong....LOL I guess we just had to figure out our style of riding.....and get something that worked for us....

We both use eggbeaters...it was very easy for her to switch and get used to as well. I like them and would buy another pair if I had to.....

I did see another post on here (this thread) that talked about a problem with his. I am sure they are like everything else...to each his own....

My next thing is a compact crankset for the Alps this summer.....do you happen to know if I need a different front derailuer? :)

Biff

<[email protected]> wrote:
>The other main reason is the walking. It is MUCH eaiser to walk in mtn bike pedals in your shoe
>than road pedals. I ride for fun and a good time....not for it to be a pain in the butt....

And, conversely, I've often thought that road shoes with the cleat not recessed might work really
well for mountain biking. When I encounter a hill that I can't get up on the bike, I sometimes have
trouble getting the foot traction to scramble up it. A big ol' metal cleat sticking out might do the
trick nicely. On uneven dirt and grass surfaces, it wouldn't be so hard to walk in.

>wither...:) I am loving the converstion about MY bike...it is cool....

It's fun to discuss your own bike, eh?

I should post about my bike. Every time I do, the thread dies quickly. I guess nobody finds my stuff
that fascinating (or maybe I'm so verbose that people get bored and move on to the next thread).
--
Rick Onanian

No one said a thing about my bike until I made my own thread about it.....that is when things got crazy....

Seems odd about the cleat idea.....

I think a lot of roadies don't look out of the box enough. THere are a lot of good biking stuff out there......both for Road and Mountain.....Mtn Bikers have always had to think outside of the box....it is only recently that they have only had there own box.....it was for a long time a modified road box....

I rode a ride in Texas called Hotter Than Hell 100 on my mountain bike. http://www.hh100.org/index.shtml At the time I was totally hooked on Road biking but had no road bike yet....I had ridden many many a mile on my mtn bike. So it was not that difficult.

I guess coming from that has opened me up to doing things a little different. I have changed many thing to a road way of thinking as well though.....I stoped using my camel back and went to bottles for instance.....

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 13:09:12 -0500 (EST), [email protected]
(Chris Zacho "The Wheelman") wrote:
>I have been thinking of these pedals myself, not because of any ego factor, but because they look
>ridiculously easy to get into. I currently

They are, at least, with the footwear I've tried with them so far: Lake SPD sandals.

>have Wellgo (Nashbar) SPD style on my bike. I like them, but sometimes it can be very hard locating
>the cleat on these.

Which ones, exactly? I have the Nashbar Special SPDs, and they're every bit as easy as my
Shimano M-545s.

In what way do you find it difficult? Do you find yourself off to the side, front, or back, or
twisted, or have to press hard? What kind of shoes are you using.

>Any feedback you may give on these (besides "look cool") is appreciated.

Uhh...they look cool. <G> Umm...they're light. I could remove them from the bike, put them in an
electric drill, and make a cake.

I was expecting a learning curve when I put them on, but found I was able to enter them well enough
after a couple tries. After that, they felt very similar to the other pedals I have (listed above).

They seem to have a lot of float; adjusting the cleat took no time at all. I had it almost exactly
right on the first try, and then proceeded to loosen them, click in, click out, and tighten them in
that position.
--
Rick Onanian

I have used Eggbeaters for the past two years on both road and mountain. Am now using Candy style
on the MTB. I am very satisfied with the function of the pedals. Be aware that the early ones had
a problem with the inboard bearing (actually a sleeve) which has been corrected with the Rev 2
style. Crank Brothers was very cooperative on making this right I might add. One thing to keep in
mind is that the cleats are soft and the wear point of the system needing replacement each season.
Charlie Myer