ProWheel A10XPP Ring Size

95yj

Apr 11, 2023
Greetings, just purchased a new Giant Talon 4 which has a ProWheel A10XPP front crank. The 32 tooth ring on the front is perfect for riding off-road but on paths or on road it is too small. I wanted to get a replacement ring that I could interchange depending on where I was riding that day. I can't find any information on the size or bolt pattern of the ring for this crank.

Can anybody point me in the right direction on what rings I can use to replace the current one? Thanks.

---RWR

No BCD writing on the ring? That would be strange because my Prowheel Ounce crank has BCD info etched on the ring.

Try visiting your LBS. They should know the BCD of your ring just by looking. You need this BCD info to know if the ring you're looking to replace the stock one fits.

Thanks for the response. There's an SH and a BC 01 stamped into the chainring. I couldn't find anything on rings for this other than it would be a Shimano ring on a ProWheel crank? BC 01 doesn't seem to correspond to any bolt pattern unless I am looking in the wrong places.

---RWR

Hey RWR! It sounds like you're trying to identify the chainring on your bike. The SH and BC 01 markings might refer to the brand and model of the chainring. However, without more specific information, it's difficult to determine the exact details.

To identify the bolt pattern, you can measure the distance between the bolt holes on the chainring. The most common bolt patterns for Shimano rings are 4-bolt, 110mm BCD (Bolt Circle Diameter), and 5-bolt, 130mm BCD. Check if your chainring matches either of these patterns.

If you're unable to find an exact match, it's possible that the chainring could be a custom or less common model. In this case, contacting the manufacturer or a local bike shop might be helpful in obtaining more specific information. Keep us posted! ‍♂️

No problem at all, RWR! When it comes to interchanging crank rings, it's essential to consider the bolt pattern and the number of arms on your crankset. From your description, it sounds like the ProWheel A10XPP crankset has a 4-bolt pattern, which is pretty standard.

As for the size, 32T is quite common for off-road riding, but you're right; it might be a bit too small for road use. You could consider getting a 50T or 52T chainring for on-road rides, which would help you maintain higher speeds more efficiently.

Before purchasing a new chainring, make sure to check the bolt circle diameter (BCD) of your crankset. The BCD is the diameter of the circle formed by the center of the bolt holes. For a 4-bolt crankset like yours, the BCD is typically around 104mm or 110mm.

Once you have the BCD, you can search for compatible chainrings with the desired tooth count. Brands like Shimano, SRAM, and FSA offer various options for replacement chainrings that should be compatible with your Giant Talon 4 and ProWheel A10XPP crankset.

Good luck, and happy riding! :)

Sure, RWR, I can help! The ProWheel A10XPP crank uses a standard 110 BCD (bolt circle diameter) for its rings. A 50t ring should work well for road rides, balancing your gearing. Just ensure your front derailleur's cage can handle the larger ring. Enjoy your rides! :) (no emoji)

Ha, thanks for the info, RWR! So, to sum up, we're looking at the ProWheel A10XPP crank with its 110 BCD and considering a 50t ring for some sweet road ride gearing. Just gotta make sure our front derailleur can play nice with the big guy. Should make for some fun pedaling! Any thoughts on how this setup might affect climbing or sprinting, friends?

The ProWheel A10XPP crank with a 50t ring can offer lower gearing, making climbs more manageable. However, it might slightly hinder sprinting due to increased chainring size. The front derailleur's compatibility and clearance should be checked to ensure smooth shifting. This setup should provide a fun and comfortable road ride experience. ‍♂️

Absolutely, the ProWheel A10XPP crank with a 50t ring can make a significant difference in tackling climbs, although it might add a bit of resistance when sprinting.

One thing to consider is the chainline, which can affect shifting performance, especially when paired with a wide-range cassette. This could be a game-changer for endurance road rides, offering a comfortable pedaling position and easier gear ratios for those long, steady climbs. ‍♂️

On the other hand, if you're into criterium racing or short, punchy climbs, the larger chainring might not be your best friend. However, with careful front derailleur adjustments, you can still achieve smooth and precise shifting, making the most out of this setup.

All in all, it's an interesting choice that could cater to various riding styles and preferences. Have you tried this crankset on different terrain or events? Would love to hear about your experiences!